SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Washing, Polishing and Waxing Tips 101 From Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 07:22 PM
NWcoast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks donsmith, for mentioning Griot's garage products. I am within a 30 minute drive of their headquarters. I like and use Zaino products, but want to try Griot's after reading a writeup about them and their large following of car enthusiasts.

JC
Old 02-19-11, 07:04 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to share my opinion about the paint detail products I've used. I've tried Zaino Z5 in conjunction with Z2; and Mother's Pre-Wax Cleaner in conjunction with Carnauba Wax. Both had their pros/cons:

Zaino:
- Easy to apply
- Easy to remove
- It is clear when you rub it on, which is good and bad. Bad because it's difficult to see where you already applied it and where it needs to be wiped off (esp. if you're working in the shade). Good because if you miss a small spot during removal it's clear (well slightly hazy) so the area still looks fine.
- Zaino seems to leave a light residue on the car and protects it longer.

Mothers:
- Easy to apply
- Difficult to remove (lots of shoulder pain when I was done)
- It cream colored when you rub it in. So you need to make sure you don't miss a spot when you wipe it off or it'll look bad. On the other hand, this is good because you can see where you applied it and where it needs to be removed.
- Doesn't last as long as Zaino
- Final result looked better and more shiny than Zaino

In my opinion, as far as looks, Mother's outshined Zaino. I have several light scratches in my paint and the Mother's covers it and makes it shine better than Zaino. Depending on what you want (easy application/removal, longer protection, more shine) both have their advantages.

So, for now, my overall choice is Mother's. Let me know if anyone has different paint detail products they recommend, I'll try them out.
Old 02-19-11, 09:24 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice post-thanks for the analysis. According to Detail Werkz here in Dallas the former Zaino distributor locally, Zaino was bought out by Mothers. I have yet to see anything on the net that talks about that, but interesting that the two products vary that much.

After seeing the GLOSS-IT products and how easy their products were to use, I am definitely going to buy those products to replace the Zaino products I have.

I love the ease of removal with all Zaino products too.
Old 02-19-11, 09:42 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't heard of Gloss-It, I'd definitely be willing to try it. Let me know how the outcome is if you do. Also, do you hand apply and hand remove? It's such hard work, especially when their's multiple steps lol I'm wondering if people here use a buffer of some kind to apply and remove.
Old 02-19-11, 09:48 AM
scdroptop

Go to www.detailwerkz.com

I had a pretty detailed post about their work if you are interested in a professional detail.

It's well worth it...I thought I was a great detailer (been told that my whole life) but I am a novice compared to these guys!

Gloss-It is running a GREAT sale right now for their total paint correction kit which normally retails for $145 and is now only $99

I may get it anyway, even though I still have a barely used large box of Zaino products just to compare and contrast the two!

http://www.gloss-it.net/index2.html
Old 02-19-11, 08:43 PM
Darthspeed
Driver School Candidate

I agree Griot's garage stuff is great. I started off using a few of their products but started after awhile using all their stuff. The best I've used and i've just bout used everything.
Old 02-20-11, 04:59 AM
rcroller
Rookie

When I got my SC I loaded up on Maguires products before I read much on the subject on this forum. Have hand polished and waxed twice with limited results. Did some wet sanding on minor scratches and buffed the whole car with a buffer using the Maguires products I had. BIG improvement with the buffer! Amazing what it can do that the hands can't.(Still not perfect but at some point I have to let it go and just start enjoying the car instead of obsessing about the minor imperfections.lol) Just about used up the Maguires now so I will try the Gloss-It next time...sounds like a great sale so thanks for that tip.
Old 02-20-11, 07:52 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rcroller
Did some wet sanding on minor scratches and buffed the whole car with a buffer using the Maguires products I had.
Which sandpaper grit and maguires products did you use on the scratches? The guy before me looked like he slightly clipped a car or something, and scratched 2 corners on the bumpers. I've been weighing my options as to how to permanently remove them instead of just apply wax and covering them it.
Old 02-20-11, 08:18 AM
scdroptop

redliner-are the scratches into the clear coat? If they are, it should be white on your black car. I have recent relevant experience with this when my black PB was keyed a few months ago. PM me or we can chat about removing it...I have many experiences with a myriad of products. I've tried just about them all.

One thing the pros told me that made a lot of sense is that they have a good portion of their business coming from people who have an orbital buffer and use the wrong technique, pads, etc.

I actually removed 90% of my key job by hand (it was a PITA, but worth it not to paint) with several different products.

One of the BEST hand polishing is the cheap-o 3M and Turtle Wax rubbing compounds. One is grittier (turtle wax) than the other, so polishing immediately after is a MUST. I can walk you through it or look at my thread I started here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...501-keyed.html
Old 02-20-11, 08:49 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

The first corner is pretty bad scratch, I rub my fingernail over it and can feel the scratch. The second doesn't seem as bad, its white and looks like a scratch and scuff mark. The third one is some pitting on the hood from rocks and other stuff from everyday driving (The left part of the pic is just dust that I wiped so you could see the pitting on the right/middle).

Old 02-20-11, 01:07 PM
rcroller
Rookie

Originally Posted by redliner8
Which sandpaper grit and maguires products did you use on the scratches? The guy before me looked like he slightly clipped a car or something, and scratched 2 corners on the bumpers. I've been weighing my options as to how to permanently remove them instead of just apply wax and covering them it.
I used 2000 grit sandpaper...then Maguires Scratch-X...then Maguires Swirl-X...then Maguires Tech Wax 2.0. It completely removed some scratches I thought would never come out without paint work...then minimized one that was really deep and made it much less noticable although it is still there. Not bad for Pep Boys products but I know there is better stuff out there as scdroptop mentioned.
Old 02-20-11, 03:50 PM
scdroptop

I'll rate the three polishing compounds I used on the above key stratch I used based on several criteria...to me, it's all about if it works or not, no matter the cost, so obviously "efficacy" is the most important criteria to me! I did this all by hand. The pros told me that they couldn't have done a better job by hand or via machine, so I take that as a compliment. The only thing I could do MORE if I wanted to (chasing 1%) is to wet sand and color buff, but I am going to pass on that right now.

Cost
Meguires Scratch-X, most expensive, then 3M Rubbing Compound then Turtle Wax RC

Ease of Use
Meguires, Turtle Wax, 3M

***Efficacy***
Meguires, 3M, Turtle Wax

Note: I used the two part polish/gloss enhancers Z2, Z3 and Z5 then sprayed when I was done with Z6, Z8 and ZCS. I was super OCD because the turtle wax (as I noted) was harsh and actually appeared to eat away at the clear coat-which was great because my scratch was definitely deep enough to feel, but after I was done I had a great shine and 99% of the key mark gone! Read the thread above I posted.
Old 02-20-11, 03:53 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by redliner8
The first corner is pretty bad scratch, I rub my fingernail over it and can feel the scratch. The second doesn't seem as bad, its white and looks like a scratch and scuff mark. The third one is some pitting on the hood from rocks and other stuff from everyday driving (The left part of the pic is just dust that I wiped so you could see the pitting on the right/middle).

I bet I could get the scratches/swirls out by hand of the pics # 2 and # 3. # 1 looks to be the most severe as you said. Depending on how deep, you still may be able to reduce it.

I think you should get the 3M and the Turtle Wax RC's for the job, then the polishes aforementioned. Trying to avoid paintwork is the # 1 goal. Also not making it worse is the second, right? If you really know what you are doing with a buffer you may be able to do them quicker and a lot less soreness in your hands/fingers/arms LOL, but I would do it by hand first to see what you are dealing with. Wet sanding is certainly an option as well, again if you know what you are doing. I didn't trust myself with my diamond pearl paint to get into machines or wet sanding, so I played it safe and went by hand.
Old 02-20-11, 04:04 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a hood off of craiglists to practice wet sanding on. It has been a year and I'm still not comfortable doing it on my car. I have all the detailing equipment anyone would ever need but it still freaks me out.
Old 02-20-11, 04:18 PM
scdroptop

The Detail Werkz mobile pros told me they only do it at their shop under their special lights and only do light stuff...all major stuff they have their affiliated body shop do. It must be some job to do that! All the online youtube instructions and stuff makes it seem so easy!

Quick Reply: Washing, Polishing and Waxing Tips 101 From Lexus Dealer