SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 02:16 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

With it being about 4 years old, check the hood and trunk lift struts, on earlier models the struts went out after about 4 years.

Make sure the speakers don't buzz.
Old 01-31-10, 02:25 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

As far as tires go, the Yokohama YK520s have a 60k mile warranty. They will likely be my next tires. Another member (Big Mack) has the Yokohamas and really likes them.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...d=007208&ar=40
Old 01-31-10, 02:28 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will definitely checks the hood and the trunk lift struts. Anything else?

I was hoping there was a built-in mp3 capability. I guess I will install a VAIS mp3 interface some time in the future.

Any recommendation for the tires.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-10, 02:30 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harold57
As far as tires go, the Yokohama YK520s have a 60k mile warranty. They will likely be my next tires. Another member (Big Mack) has the Yokohamas and really likes them.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...d=007208&ar=40
Thanks. I am assuming these will fit without any problem.
Old 01-31-10, 03:46 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
for mp3s, the best option is to install a vais unit. on 2006+ models, it gives you full integration (displays songs & lets you use steering wheel controls.
The VAIS works great, but does not display songs (just an FYI). And yes, I have an '06 and the VAIS, so I'm speaking from experience. It displays playlist number and track number, and that's it. Steering wheel controls do work, though. You can also use the VAIS in "simple mode", where you do all the controlling on the ipod itself.
Old 01-31-10, 04:49 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

The Parrot MKi9100 is another alternative and provides a Bluetooth connection also.
Old 01-31-10, 05:27 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harold57
The Parrot MKi9100 is another alternative and provides a Bluetooth connection also.
I am a big fan of Parrot bluetooth (I believe CK3300 or CK3500) as I have one in my LX. I am also familiar with the VAIS interface (actually have read about it) as I was thinking of installing one in my 06 GX. Is the Parrot MKi9100 improved over VAIS in mp3 interface capability? Another question - How is the quality of the built-in bluetooth in the 06 SC? The bluetooth in my 06 GX is not as good as the aftermarket Parrot in my LX. Therefore, if the Parrot provides similar mp3 functionality as the VAIS then this could be a way of getting superior bluetooth in the SC, assuming of-course, that the built-in bluetooth is not as good. Comments.

You mention about "manumatic transmission" in one of your previous posts. What is this? How is this engaged in 2006 SC?

Coming to tires, so far I heard about the BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport (all season), Yokohama YK520s and the Michelin Pilot A/S. Any other tire recommendation? Which of the three produces the quietest (relative) ride with the top down? Appreciate comments from someone who has used more than one brand.

Thanks. You guys have been so helpful.
Old 02-01-10, 07:03 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default Spare Tire

I have been reading about the spare tire and kit here. FARKAS suggested a cheaper alternative to LEXUS kit through Mazda RX8 spare. I cannot find the Mazda kit at a reasonable price. So I thought of a twist to it....can this work:
  • Buy a spare SC430 wheel, mount it with one of the run-flats (comes off the car after the change to regular).
  • Get a cover made at an upholstry shop to match the interior.
  • Buy whatever else is needed to mount the spare. Follow FARKAS procedure.

Will the above work? Can a full tire fit in the space where a spare goes? Will it be safe to drive a short distance on 3 regular and 1 fun-flat...same dimensions? What mounting hardware is needed?

Does the SC come with a jack?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-10, 07:42 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The full size tire will not fit into the space for the spare in the trunk. I purchased the spare tire kit from Sewell Lexus in Dallas. It cost me about $750. The kit included everything you need to install it in the trunk. I took me about 45 minutes to install.
Old 02-01-10, 07:58 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

^Gotta agree with MDames2 above. The kit is much more that the tire... And it's true a regular tire will not fit in the space designed for the spare. The kit itself has the tire, new inside garish, new trunk floor mat to fit around the tire, and an assortment of mounting hardware, clips, tire cover with Lexus Logo and rubber bumpers to keep it all stationary and quiet. Hell the cover even has a metallic magnetized button for the leather strap for the roof cover. While the cost is high, the integration and squeaky clean looks goes with the SC theme.

Oh and by the way. Now that my SC has a spare, I also keep a 32gal trash bag stored there too. If I ever need to use that spare, my flat goes in the bag before it goes in car.
Old 02-04-10, 06:20 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Options2k
I am a big fan of Parrot bluetooth (I believe CK3300 or CK3500) as I have one in my LX. I am also familiar with the VAIS interface (actually have read about it) as I was thinking of installing one in my 06 GX. Is the Parrot MKi9100 improved over VAIS in mp3 interface capability? Another question - How is the quality of the built-in bluetooth in the 06 SC? The bluetooth in my 06 GX is not as good as the aftermarket Parrot in my LX. Therefore, if the Parrot provides similar mp3 functionality as the VAIS then this could be a way of getting superior bluetooth in the SC, assuming of-course, that the built-in bluetooth is not as good. Comments.

You mention about "manumatic transmission" in one of your previous posts. What is this? How is this engaged in 2006 SC?

Coming to tires, so far I heard about the BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport (all season), Yokohama YK520s and the Michelin Pilot A/S. Any other tire recommendation? Which of the three produces the quietest (relative) ride with the top down? Appreciate comments from someone who has used more than one brand.

Thanks. You guys have been so helpful.
There is another poster that has installed the Parrot MKi9100. I have not done that yet. But he really liked it. (I believe that he posted his installation earlier in 2009, maybe in the late spring.)

The "manumatic transmission" (or whatever the official name is) is nothing more than using the gear shift there in the console. It has these positions: D, 4, 3, & 2. You can manually control what gear the transmission is in by manually moving the shift lever through the gears above as so desired. It is quite a bit more responsive that way.

There are several threads that deal with the various tire choices and the opinions of those who have installed them. Just do a search.
You also asked about a jack. Yes it comes with a jack. It is in the trunk.