SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 09:36 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Few Questions

I am currently in the market for a 2005-2007 SC430. I recently tested a 2004 and a 2005 and both didn't quite meet my expectations of a V8 4.3L "sports convertible"! First though, I loved the looks and enjoyed the drive with the top down . Now, where the expectations fall short....engine feels "underpowered" and lacks the punch of a V8 Did I just end up with poorly maintained cars or is this normal? I currently own a 2006 GX (hers) and the engine is very smooth and quick to accelerate....even for a SUV. Heck...my 1997 LX with 150,000 miles feels smooth when accelerating, for that matter.

Other thing I noticed was excessive wind noise with the top down. Is this normal? What happened to the "Lexus quite"? Finally, what's with the (excessive) road noise? Is this normal too?

I am (admittedly) an ardent follower of Lexus since 1993 (2 ES, one LX and one GX) so perhaps my expectation is quite high. However, is it misplaced in this case though? Finally, should I now focus on 2006 and 2007 models as these may be improved over the 2004 and 2005 in power and the noise departments. What improvements were made over the years from 2004 to 2007...just the significant ones.

Please help. I want to stick to a Lexus brand as I found this to be very reliable and trouble free.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-10, 10:06 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'06 feels faster - at least it did to me. Same engine, extra gear in the transmission for slightly quicker feel. Road noise is probably run flat tires which most people here have ditched for regular tires and either a compact spare or a fix-a-flat system. Much better that way. As for top down noise, it's a convertible and is as quiet as any I've had. Fairly quiet with windows up, but be realistic -- no handsfree speakerphone calls at any speed top down (I keep a jawbone in my center console and switch to that with the top down. Good to about 50mph). It is absolutely the lexus of covertibles -- smooth, comfortable, reliable, and not all that exciting. Like all things, there are tradeoffs.
Old 01-28-10, 02:48 AM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All SC430s are the same power with a small increase in 06+ models. these cars are NOT a high preformsance cars at all. If you want to add power or preformance you need a lot of $s.
check this to know what I mean:-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-of-my-sc.html
Old 01-28-10, 04:40 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It may be time for you to switch brands. I had to have a back seat just in case of an emergency. That took the real sports cars off my list such as vettes, vipers, 350Z, Z4s, etc. If you want fast, and can live in a two seater you have a lot more options. I regularly take the kids out in my SC (they are still small) without a problem. The only other option I could find in my price range was an M3. I found most looked tortured, and had service records that were just to scary. For some reason SC owners seem to take really good care of these cars. I looked at many and they were all pristine. If not for the changing of the lights or wheels, my 03 could pass for a 2010 to anyone other than the fanatics on this board.

As far as wind noise, I can carry on a conversation at normal volume with the top down going 80. I think that is pretty quiet. It is a convertable after all. The car is faster than it feels, and that is a Lexus thing. Although this car can run to 60 only a second behind the heavy hitters, it never feels fast. It also does not handle all that well. Trade offs I gladly made for reliability, looks, price, rarity, and an interrior that is nicer than my friends quarter million dollar Aston Martin. In short, this is a very easy car to own, and drive every day.
Old 01-28-10, 07:36 AM
Glock3540
Driver School Candidate

Well Put KaiserSea1...
Old 01-28-10, 07:49 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The car you drove is not an anomaly, it's an SC430, the finest car Lexus builds. Get an 06, more tech and feels like more power with the updated tranny. It is not a sports car, it's a luxury touring roadster, you will learn to enjoy it. Good Luck
Old 01-28-10, 08:17 AM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The 430 engine is already a little dated.
Doesn't really pull the efficiency like today's Lexus engines.

Don't forget, Lexus is more on the luxury & comfort side.
Aim for BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc. for a sportier feel.

Good luck with your next purchase.
Old 01-28-10, 06:48 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Thank you all for honest feedback. I will test drive a 2006 tomorrow.....don't want to give up on SC430 yet.

What other (automatic) hard top I should be looking at that is peppier than SC430 but comparable in price?
Old 01-28-10, 07:15 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^

New G37, SCdroptop posted a great comparison between the two cars awhile back (I was unable to find it)

If you want a little peppier and stick with Lexus and get more technology you may want to look at the ISC particularly the 350 model.

Other hardtops that are faster are of course the SL by Mercedes you may be able to find used SL55 for $50s and that will destroy basically anything out there...then again not as reliable as the SC...
Old 01-30-10, 09:11 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

options-what's the update? you have two threads going...did you get the 07 pb?

If you are financing or leasing you should compare the g37 convertible as a nice benchmark. side by side, they are good competitors.

The g37 you can lease for 3 years zero down for about $699 a month or less

The SC 2007 if you get it for $35k (hopefully less) and do a straight line 72 month cpo financing at 5.9 your payment would be in that range....

when i was looking four months ago the g convertible hadn't dropped in price yet. Buyer BEWARE though: the 2010 G37 will have new front ends with fog lights separated and a fresher front bumper and dash, new nav systems. They might be really dealing with the 09's but having those fogs down below is such a sportier look IMO.
Old 01-31-10, 09:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Options2k,
The performance of the SC can be deceiving sometimes because of the ECU. It has an annoying habit of "learning" the driver's driving habits and adapting the performance to the driver, whatever that means. Typically that means that it becomes sluggish. Four things that you can do to overcome that (or do all four):
<> Reset the ECU (either disconnect the battery or run the reset procedure outlined earlier in this forum)
<> Turn off the VSC (center console)
<> Turn the performance switch to PWR (center console)
<> Use the manumatic transmission function

Doing these items will make the car much more responsive.
Old 01-31-10, 10:21 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

like harold said, set the transmission to power mode (PWR) and turn off the variable stability control (VSC). that'll make a huge difference. that said, it is a bit underpowered compared to some other cars out there.

as for road noise, were the cars you test drove on runflats? they make a lot more noise than regular tires. most of us have switched ours out. it improves the quality of the ride as well. runflats are ridged, so you feel every bump in the road.
Old 01-31-10, 10:46 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default Update

Thanks everyone for the input.

Harold57: Yes, I read about resetting the ECU and ECT button here. I was happy with the test drive of the 2006 model. However, I will definitely try these "tricks" once I buy my new ride.

LiquidSC: Yes, all the models that I test drove had run-flats. Based on the input here, I will change them to the regular tires. Do you have any recommendation? I am looking for tires that will produce a smooth, reduced road noise driving experience. Others, please chime in.

Some more questions for SC gurus here:
  • Does the CD changer play mp3 discs in a 2006 SC (made in 5/06)?
  • What all does the 30K scheduled maintainance cover? Appreciate input from those who do their own maintainence. Approximately, how much does it cost at a dealer in the Houston area?
  • Anything else I should look for that is peculiar about this car before I sign on the dotted line.

As mentioned in the other thread, I will (most probably) buy the 2006 (DOFU 11/06) model with ~29K miles.

Thanks. You guys helped me tremendously with my decision.
Old 01-31-10, 11:35 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Tires: I have the BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport (all season) -- this is NOT THE SAME as the g-force sport that is a summer tire. The Super Sport performs much better, great ride, even wear, I'm very happy. About $145 each.

As for maintenance, others may chime in but it's basically an inspection, oil change, air filter, cabin ac filter, and some recommend a differential service and brake fluid replacement. Order the air and ac filters online to save a bunch, the rest should cost about $400 at the dealer, which isn't too bad.

Oh yeah -- no mp3 CDs, but most install the VAIS ipod kit which works relatively well with the +'06 models. No nav control, but the headunit can skip tracks and change playlists. I put all my music in playlists, and then keep a little print-out in the door so I can see what number is what playlist. Not ideal, but easy.
Old 01-31-10, 01:21 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

for mp3s, the best option is to install a vais unit. on 2006+ models, it gives you full integration (displays songs & lets you use steering wheel controls. it costs about $200 for the unit and another $100 to have installed. if you're comfortable doing it yourself, directions are posted somewhere on here.

since you're buying it now, you have some leverage on the 30k service. i'd ask the seller to cover it as a condition of purchasing the car.

there really aren't any major problems you have to watch out for. just check carfax to make sure it wasn't in a major accident or flood or anything like that.

Quick Reply: Few Questions