SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

removal of air bag warning stickers from visor

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-02, 11:07 AM
moseman2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post removal of air bag warning stickers from visor

It is not recommeded to remove the warning sticker from your visors...these are very important notices and could save your life.

Some people don't care and are suggesting that people use
"GOOF OFF" to remove the annoying visor air bag warning stickers.

http://www.goof-off.com/

I don't believe they are annoying and I recommend you do not remove them. Please pass on this concern.

Drive safe!
Old 05-20-02, 11:47 AM
moseman2020
Driver School Candidate

Here is a post regarding this subject from a BMW site:
Again not recommended, important warning.

I removed mine with a product called "GOOF OFF" by Guardsman. Picked it up at a hardware store.

It appears the sticker is attached with contact cement and this product
simply "melted" away the sticker.

Use it very sparingly on a rag and rub it over the sticker. It will just
shrivel and come off with no damage to the visor.

Someone else mentioned using lacquer thinner to remove the slight amount of
glue left behind after the sticker comes off.

Subject: That Ugly Airbag Sticker Continued

OK, I'm not trying to extend this thread into perpetuity. However, so many people helped me when I was trying to irradiate the damned thing, I wanted to pass their knowledge along. Goof Off (not Goo Off) byGuardsman is the trick for "melting" the stickers off the visor. It is available in the paint section of hardware stores. Take the visors down first paying particular attention to the vanity mirror light wire. Use the Goof Off liberally and RUB VERY LIGHTLY. Any vigorous rubbing will stretch the vinyl and leave you with wrinkles. Take your time, let the Goof Off stand on the sticker. Goof Off seems to remove everything but
the remnants of the adhesive. This can be removed with lightly applied lacquer thinner. Again, take it easy on the rubbing part. If you do find you have caused wrinkles, try putting the visor in the freezer for a couple of minutes to bring it back into shape.

And now, for the benefit of Lawyer Satch. These comments represent the opinion of the author which may be TOTALLY WRONG. Your results may strikingly vary. The author accepts no liability for damaged visors, sniffed lacquer thinner, frozen food contamination, dropped drop lights, or anything else you may be encouraged to do as a result of this post.
Old 05-20-02, 11:56 AM
moseman2020
Driver School Candidate

From another site. A lot of people are doing dumb things.

7.1 Removing the Airbag Warning Stickers
The Boxster comes labeled with five (count them!) ugly airbag warning stickers. One is a sticky attached to the dash and is easily removed. The other four are on both sides of the sun visors. These are much more difficult to remove. But with some denatured alcohol and some elbow grease, they will all come off. The sticker usually peels off in one piece if you keep the junction between the sticker and the vinyl moist with alcohol and go slowly. This makes your car look much better, especially with the top down.

You may find it easier if you take the sun visors off the car to work on them. This can be done with two different size torx drivers, a T20 and a T25. One torx screw is hidden beneath a plastic cap. You can get a set of six torx drivers from Sears for about $14. You may already have them if you have a computer repair toolkit. If you have a hard top, you will need to remove it as the visor bracket also forms the leading edge receptacle for the hard top.

Be careful not to get the alcohol on the mirror flap hinges. There are two metal clips that provide friction on the hinges to keep the flap open. Getting the alcohol near the hinges dissolves the glue keeping these metal clips inside the plastic holes. If this happens, see...
Old 05-20-02, 01:03 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default another thought....

what happens if you sell the car without the sticker and the new owner gets into an accident ... and then decides to sue you (the former owner) for not leaving the warnings for them to read...
Old 05-20-02, 02:09 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Ok, allow me to add my two cents. What is the harm in removing airbag warning stickers? Has anyone actually read this stickers or continues to read, and or informs their passengers to please comply with such stickers. It is just another segment of our society in which, it is always someones fault. Obviously a bag that pops out in a nano-second is going to be relatively dangerous. The car manufacturers have to put so many stickers on the car or they will be sued because "the occupants had no idea getting hurt was possible." Anywayz, I removed them from my last car, and I would probably remove them from this car if I wasnt so damn lazy. As for passing any liability, I doubt that unless you maliciously removed any and all stickers and other warnings you wouldnt be liable.
Old 05-20-02, 04:06 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree Lex. Take 'em off.

Enough already with warning stickers ! Do I really need to read my coffee cup to know the contents are HOT.....Does my iron really need to have a sticker that says "Do not iron clothes when wearing them".

Sorry Moseman. But yeeesh....

p.s. Now for a nice hot bath with my hairdryer.
Old 05-20-02, 05:14 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

My favorite, besides the iron one of course is...the need for one way signs on highways seperated by a divider. Does anyone really think they would build an onramp in the opposite direction of the way the traffic is flowing??? You get in the accelration lane, speed up then do a 180. But of course I'm sure some idiot did it, hit another car and sued claiming he didnt know which direction to go.
Old 05-20-02, 06:20 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default I'm doing it

OK I'm inspired. And while I'm at I'm removing the tags from my mattress too!

I feel like a renegade.
Old 05-21-02, 03:32 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me to the list of people who do not like signs on their cars. I won't even wear clothes with the maker's logo (or anything else) printed on them.

I've used Goof-Off before on several things - it''s great stuff. But I think what I'll do is cover the warning labels with a laminated picture of something or other.

And don't forget ... you must repress the urge to use your power mower as a hedge trimmer.
Old 05-21-02, 06:48 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

I love this thread, keeps cracking me up. My final favorite, for now anyway has to be the stickers off of my waverunner. As many of you may know Yamaha has that jet that shoots up and out of the back of a waverunner. Well no less less than 5 times do stickers warn you that "strong streams of water from the jet nozzle may cause bodily injury when directed at orifices (rectum and vagina). I am not even kidding, that is what the stickers say, had my friends and I laughing for weeks.

Oh yeah and remember unleaded fuel only guys!!!
Old 05-21-02, 07:10 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Ed,

Your comment about the mower is based on truth. There was an article in a local paper about a few guys that tried to trim hedges that way. Minus several fingers later they realized their mistake.

Also, notice how on mowers there's a warning about keeping fingers and feet "away" from the spinning blades ?

One last note about adhesive and tag removal:

It's easier to use a hairdryer to soften up the tags and peel them off. You can remove the adhesive residue with a product called "Dislove-It". This stuff is basically citrus oil (nice orange smell) and is totally non abrasive and will not harm paint, wood, plastic. It works great on tar, bugs, etc.
Old 05-22-02, 07:29 AM
moseman2020
Driver School Candidate

I thought the information was useful...and will cover me against any possible liability by recommending you don't do what others have done. I will not confirm or deny that status of my visor :-)

Again, I recommend not removing the sticker from you visor, the sticker from you pillow or any other manufactor's warning...hey, remember not to use your hair drying in the shower.

Get it!!!!
Old 05-22-02, 10:08 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Larry ...

I do remember reading something like that some time ago. There's no way I could make up a story that absurd.

Thanks for the hair dryer solution and the Disolve-It recommendation (Dislove is something else entirely ). I know they use a similar, but more powerful, device to heat up and remove those ugly decals found on so many cars, but I never thought about using it on the labels.

Did you try this method to remove the labels from your visor?
Old 11-04-02, 11:15 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Straight laquer thinner and a wash cloth took off the sticker on the "cloth" side and the plastic side of my GS3. I can see no damage done. Use the laquer thinner liberally. Get it good and wet.

Hairdryer did not work on mine.