SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC vs other Sports Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 04:07 AM
sc430guy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the sc430 really that bad cornering? It seems OK
Would tighening the suspension correct that? And how would that be done?

Ive heard that lexus consistently understates they 0-60 times... Using the tiptronic in my 06 it doesnt feel like it takes me 5.9 seconds, but I havent accurately measured it.

"I think most the owners of SC430's are very comfortable with it's performance, and there was a poll a few months ago that it was almost 100% of the respondents classified it as a luxury cruiser, not a sports car, which is the correct categorization."

Yeah but who did they poll? All the 50+ year olds in North America that drive it? Or did they poll in Japan ?
Old 01-31-10, 05:14 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And if we have a poll and 51% call it a uboat, I am still not going to try to take her out to sea. Fine, make up a name that is not a real car segment, I drive a luxury cruiser. No, it is a quasi sport, cross country luxo convertable. I guess there are just a few here who do not want to call a two seat, convertable, V8 a sports car, because then they have to admit, it is not class leading in the sports catagory. A sports car that is better than most luxury cars at what they do, but not a standout on the track. And a few who traded in for high maintainence, rough riding, uncomfortable, rigid, prestige name plates, and now have a lump in their throat they used to pee with. I started this thread to demonstrate that the girl has the goods. She does. You bought it, you own it, call it duck if you want to, people are still looking at you and thinking, nice sports car.
Old 01-31-10, 05:55 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love it.. you go guy!

The SC is like no other.. and in years to come, it will always be a stand out !
Katy
Old 01-31-10, 06:24 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

It took me from 1947 to 2008 to get over the need for speed with its gravity inducing cornering in a powerful car. Until then, I favored that kind of visceral feel while driving in much the same way as I needed caffeine stimulation in a cup of coffee after arising from a night's sleep.

Before that day in 2008, my eyes always gravitated to a car that looked as if it were being held back by a chain while the engine's deep-throated roar was sounding like music in my ears. You know what I mean, I favored a low, sleek and angry looking sport's car champing at the bit to a car that only had plush interior appointments.

My attitude changed in 2008 when I saw an SC430 parked alongside my car. To my eyes the SC not only met my visual criteria of a hot sport's car but it SC excited me with its evolutionary look of elegance in design.

My senses really began to race when I looked at the SC's interior. Geez Louise! This car had a great looking control panel, rich leather and stunningly beautiful wood paneling. I had never seen as many of these kind of attributes in other roadsters or convertibles.

I sat in my car until the owner returned to his SC. When he raised the roof to protect against a falling drizzle, I nearly fell over. Closing the SC's roof was a “bit” differently then when I put up the rag on a former convertible. When he turned over the engine its deep purr brought a smile to my face.

I sat there for a few minutes after he drove away and then rather than drive to my home, I traveled to close by Lexus dealer to take a test spin in a SC430. One month later, I had a new SC in my garage.

In my opinion the SC430 may look like a sport's car but it is not a sport's car; it is much, much more. I have related my opinion about the SC in previous posts. However, here is the gist of what I have said:

The SC is elegant, refined with a timeless design crafted to move effortlessly at any rate of speed. Its engine broadcasts a rich purr at all speeds. It is a car that sedately transports in buttery smoothness all the while enveloping its occupants with luxury. It would be reducing its overall ambiance to relegate to that of a sport's car.

In my opinion, it is and does things better than any other car in its class.

Does the SC handle like a sport's car? No. It handles more comfortably and I think more safely. Does it go as fast? Yes and no. It is no Corvette off the blocks but accelerates rapidly enough to enter on-ramps with vitality and to travel the interstates as fast as or faster than any sport's car I would opt to own.

Lastly and most subjectively, does it stack up in “looks” with other cars? In my eyes, it is drop-dead gorgeous and far more beautiful then any convertible, roadster, coupe or sedan in its class.

Of the sixty cars I have owned, I consider the SC to be the best as well as the final car I will ever own.
Old 01-31-10, 07:29 AM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

My thought on this issue, often expressed during my ownership period which started in 2001, is that the SC430 is the best compromise I have experienced between sportiness and luxury. It's far more luxurious, comfortable and quiet than most sports cars, and far more fun to drive than most luxury cars.
I think that this is what a lot of the above posts are saying, and perhaps illustrates the difficulty of putting this car into a single category, an unnecessary exercise which provides us with little useful information anyway.
Old 01-31-10, 08:04 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc430guy
Is the sc430 really that bad cornering? It seems OK
Would tighening the suspension correct that? And how would that be done?

Ive heard that lexus consistently understates they 0-60 times... Using the tiptronic in my 06 it doesnt feel like it takes me 5.9 seconds, but I havent accurately measured it.

"I think most the owners of SC430's are very comfortable with it's performance, and there was a poll a few months ago that it was almost 100% of the respondents classified it as a luxury cruiser, not a sports car, which is the correct categorization."

Yeah but who did they poll? All the 50+ year olds in North America that drive it? Or did they poll in Japan ?
Well, I guess that makes you a 50 year old Japanese.....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...in-reason.html

56 -2 by SC430 owners....

I think this is related to the latest recall. You're mashing the gas pedal too hard and it's sticking
Old 01-31-10, 08:15 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And another: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-of-my-sc.html

debated ad nauseum - check out Jackalope's comment on page 2. sums it up.
Old 01-31-10, 08:24 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
It took me about three seconds to read your one line post. Half a second is something you can feel, really.
Yes, you would probably feel a difference. But I'm talking about actual performance. If you were to race someone off the line, someone half a second faster would beat you easily by a few car lengths. A full second faster would embarrass you.

I like almost everything about the SC. It had solid performance in 2001 when it came out. But because they never upgraded it, it significantly lags behind cars today. They probably should have given it a performance upgrade in '06 when they gave it a facelift. I think an extra 30-40 hp would have extended the life of the car. It's hard to justify spending $65K + on a new sports coupe when cars half the price will smoke you.
Old 02-01-10, 11:13 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
I like almost everything about the SC. It had solid performance in 2001 when it came out. But because they never upgraded it, it significantly lags behind cars today. They probably should have given it a performance upgrade in '06 when they gave it a facelift. I think an extra 30-40 hp would have extended the life of the car. It's hard to justify spending $65K + on a new sports coupe when cars half the price will smoke you.
Yep, at the very least it should have move to the same engine as the GS460. Would have been awesome if it took on the IS-F engine and Trans, but this would have been a little radical change. I'm perfectly fine with the current 4.3 setup as I don't normally race folks, but more power never hurt.
Old 02-01-10, 05:46 PM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I can proudly say that I will hit the big six 0 this year and I'm not talking MPH. I can still pound my 25 something year old colleagues when we race on the indoor go cart tracks in Germany. My last cars before the SC were a Audi TT turbo and a BMW Z4. The Audi was the most fun to drive especialy in the mountains. I got tired of it around town because of the low torque 4 cylinder and lack of golf club storage. The z4 solved both problems but took the fillings out of my teeth on bad interstate hwy. I kept both of them less than 2 years. The SC is 3 and I still love it. I can actualy drive anywhere I want to go, arive comfortably, and I have a cool car that gets the front row at valet. Plenty of room for clothes and golf clubs for 2. As well, I finaly figured out that my driving record costs a fortune in legal and insurance fees. ---- The SC is plenty quick in real life which is where I live. I don't know what I'll get after the SC. Recently bought my wife a Q7 diesel. Great car. Maby I will get an Audi S5 Cab. Saw one in Munich. Pretty hot. Or there is always a Jag convertable. If I just wanted heat I would get a Viper but I can't think of any place to enjoy it. For now I'm just not tempted. Too happy with the SC. Best all round great car I ever had.
Old 02-13-10, 03:28 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default Apples vs oranges

Last year (and the prior years too) I waited with hopes Lexus would announce a new SC design to replace my 2002 SC430. I finally gave up when I read the announcement that 2010 would be the last model year, with no immediate plans for a replacement.

In Oct the "new car itch" finally got to me and I got rid of the SC430. I ended up buying a 2009 Porsche 911-S Cabriolet, with lots of options to get it as "Lexus-like" inside as possible (leather/NAV / bluetooth /upgraded audio/satellite radio / heated & cooled seats, etc.). After driving for a few months, the differences between the cars are quite obvious (and equally obvious, as pointed out by several replies in this thread, the cars are so different they should not be compared as peers):

1. Speed - The Porsche is scary fast. One of my major complaints about my SC was the lag between accelerator pedal and engine response. The SC was quick (better than my prior SC400), but there is simply no comparison. Now when I hit the pedal - I go................

2. Handling - The handling through corners and curves was actually what sold me on the Porsche (and I had a similar experience with the less expensive Cayman). There is no roll and absolutely no feeling that the car is going to break loose on corners - even at higher speeds I never would have attempted in my Lexus.

3. Ride - While the Porsche is not the tooth jarring ride I expected, there simply is no contest against the wonderfully smooth and quiet ride of my SC. I know my wife misses this the most (but the car is so fast she's afraid to drive it anyhow!!). The rag top vs soft top makes an incredible amount of difference, both with respect to road and wind noise as well as engine/exhaust noise.

4. Audio - Again, no contest against the M/L system in the Lexus. The only available upgrade in the Porsche was a BOSE system. The sound is somewhat harsh and nowhere near as subtle as the M/L system. I've never been a fan of Bose at home or in autos, and this system has not made me one. As with most Bose systems, sounds OK when it is cranked up loud, and with music mastered for loud bass and mid-range. The loudness of wind and road noise in the cabin also makes any critical listening impossible.

5. Comfort / amenities - As noted above, I loaded the car with options (I imagine most hard-core Porsche owners would laugh at me). Overall I am very happy with the features in the car. Interior trim is very nice, although I do miss my bird-eye maple wood trim from my SC. Setting aside the differences in the ride, I'd have to say this category is a draw between the two - a result that truly surprises me.

6. Storage - ARGHH! Small trunk space in the front and a "back seat" even more useless than that in the Lexus. Golf clubs will fit in the passenger seat - nowhere else. SC is a big winner here.

Please don't view this post as any type of bragging or attempt to slam the SC. I loved my SC and would have purchased an updated or re-designed model in a heartbeat. I just thought I would add my real world experience to your "cruiser vs. sports car" discussion. The differences in style between the cars force a personal decision over what is important or more desireable to you.

Overall I am very pleased with my new car, and still miss some of the benefits of the SC. I'm having a blast driving the 911 - no speeding tix yet - and really enjoy the response and handling. At the same time, I recognize I spent a lot more $$ on the car than I would have on a 2010 SC. For me, it has been worth the difference and a surprisingly enjoyable upgrade. Maybe after a few years I will get over my new-found love for speed and aggressive handling. Maybe by then Lexus will have come out with a new model that combines the "luxury cruiser" with the more aggressive style of sports car. If so, I'll be on that waiting list pretty damned fast!
Old 02-13-10, 08:35 PM
kimchi604
Rookie

Sc is all show no go

Handles like my TSX.. lots of body roll and sluggish. Compared to other lexus ive driven its better though, that includes GS ES IS.

Straightline speed. 6.2 seconds 0-60 is laughable for this price range... i would never attempt to race a car in an SC lol

the good points of SC

Hardtop goes down
sound system is pretty sick for a stock car
interior is very appealing and luxerious
chicks dig the SC
smooth ride
Pretty good on gas in my opinon for a V8

oh did i mention chix dig the SC..
Old 02-14-10, 05:02 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kimchi604
Sc is all show no go

Handles like my TSX.. lots of body roll and sluggish. Compared to other lexus ive driven its better though, that includes GS ES IS.

Straightline speed. 6.2 seconds 0-60 is laughable for this price range... i would never attempt to race a car in an SC lo
Okay now this is getting silly. I can't get over how many haters there are of our car. I was loaned a TSX when my timing belt was being put on, and to be blunt, being put in a 4 banger, front drive, entry level Acura is cruel and unusual punishment for an SC owner. I am a longtime Acura fan, of their better models, before the designers hit them with an ugly stick, and Acura does not offer any car, in any price range as quick as my eight year old SC. If they would only bring the NSX back and stop rebadging Civics and Accords.

Those of you who wrote about compromise hit it on the head. I went to the BMW dealership and checked out two rag tops, the M3 and M6 costing 80K and 110K. Had I driven either of these cars, I am sure it would have been instant love, but the interiors and softtops felt so far beneath my SC, I was amazed. A buddy just bought a Genesis, and even that was a few rungs above the interior of BMW. I own an LS I never get to drive. If I did have the LS for myself, an SC would make no sense, because if it was just about weekends the Porsche and BMW are more fun. As a daily driver, I want to be surrounded in rich leather and wood, I want a hard top, and a great stereo, and comfort, reliability, good looks, and power. Lexus presses every button. Some day it would be fun to have a Viper in the driveway, but dear God, not to drive to work in rush hour traffic. That has to be Lexus.
Old 02-14-10, 06:59 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

stevelaw-very nice, fair balanced comparo! Thanks for your post.

I too have long looked at 911's and Boxsters and have to admit, the 2005+ interiors with the silver accents and nicer leather, BOSE options, nav, bluetooth are getting Porsche closer to the more refined luxury sport cars, but they are still very Porsche like.

I looked at a 2004 Boxster yesterday for fun and compared it to a 2006 and to me Porsche has made leaps and bounds with their interior. Is it a Lexus with ML, birdseye and supple ecru leather as smooth as a baby's behind? NO way, but not bad compared to where Porsche has been!

I hope you got a warranty on your Porsche. What scared me the most about p-cars was not the sacrafice in interior comfort and harshness or storage (I expected that going into it) it was the owners on CL who have had 911's and porsches before telling me that I would need another $400-$500 a month to sock away for a rainy day for WHEN something breaks on the car out of warranty (I was looking at 2004's or so) it will be thousands not hundreds like the Lexus and there were not many options for aftermarket or eBay parts...and you certainly could not DIY like many Lexus fixes.

Some interesting chats on this post...Kaiser you really stirred up a good one!!!

I agree with you that the TSX should not be compared to the SC nor should the 911.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...the SC's main competitors are:

MBZ CLK 430/500
BMW 335ci/330ci (the non M3 hardtop vert)
BMW 6 series convertible
Jaguar XK8 (not the R)
Lexus IS350C

Really, you could delete the IS and the 3 series due to their powerplants not being V8's but I put them in there because so many people agree that backseat roadster is in the ball park. I'm not listing any AMG/R/M versions of these cars because the SC as we know doesn't have an F sport model so you really cannot compare.

And up until 2009, I didn't feel like any of the above cars could even come close in comparison to our SC's based on dependability, price, interior, ride and comfort.

The G37 in my opinion gives the best comparison and is $15k cheaper with loads of more options. Sacrafice: Interior quality, although have you been in a "deluxe" and "premium" infiniti recently with beautiful rosewood interior with suki brushed aluminum trim? Wow! Sacrafice: nameplate, exclusiveness (I totally agree that it would SUCK driving a $50k car when someone in a 4 door version of it like the IS/G37 that paid $29k) and panache are still issues...but for $15k less it would be worth the sacrafice to me.

The G37 gives you lots of things the SC does not...paddle shifters, cooled seats, tight handling, bose headrest speakers for when the top is down, lane departure, music box, standard ipod full integration with screen/steering wheel controls, 19" wheels, etc etc etc. Much more storage and rear seat room. Lots of goodies for a $51k hardtop luxury convertible. For me the biggest advantage it has over the SC is the performance...WHOOOOSH that 3.5L v6 with 320 hp goes when you stomp on it, and I love the roar of the big ole dual tips! The G37 is the best comparison IMO.
Old 02-14-10, 09:13 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

really, the only comparable car out there is the G37. but by the time you load it up will all the goodies, it's in the same ballpark price wise as a new sc. and it's still not as nice inside.

about a year after i bought my sc, my old boss bought a new g37 hardtop, not even a convertible. he had an fx35 when i bought the sc and was a little jealous. he loved his fx before i got the sc. but after i bought it, he constantly talked about getting a new car. when the g37 came out, he leased one fully loaded. he still had 3 years left on his fx lease, so he had to transfer some of the balance to the g37. he told me his payments and i figured out that he was going to end up paying $15k more for his g37 and wouldn't even own it. he has stock wheels. he doesn't want to buy aftermarket since it's a lease. if you were to ask 10 random people which is the nicer car, i'm guessing at least 9 would pick my sc.

i raced him a few times just to see how fast it is. we both knew his car was faster. to my surprise, i actually had him by a car length off the line. either the higher torque or he's just not that good of driver. he caught me around 40 and passed me. and had a few car lengths at 70. but i also raced him on the highway in the middle of the desert and smoked him once we passed 100. he wasn't too happy. overall, i'd say the performance has held up well for a 9 year old car. i think an sc with headers and exhaust may even be able to beat a g37 off the line.

Quick Reply: SC vs other Sports Cars