SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC vs other Sports Cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 09:57 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tinshield
I wasn't going to jump in this post but I have to I gave up a 2006 Saleen supercharged 465 horse power to the real wheels with the mods that I done to it when I say I gave it up it is sitting in my garage with only 2,700 miles on it and sure it will get attention when I drive it Screaming Yellow black interior smoke-in fast BUT I fell in love with the SC430 sure it will not go as fast but it sure beats the living day lights out of it in style, comfort, luxury and I must say it also will turn some heads, so I think what it boils down to is what you want and what makes you say when you get behind the wheel YA this is it and the fast Saleen I just did not feel it as I do in the SC430. Please don't beat me up on this post, LOL.

We won't beat you up but god almighty it was so hard for me to read your 2 sentence post
Old 02-18-10, 03:02 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
We won't beat you up but god almighty it was so hard for me to read your 2 sentence post
,hey peter, tinshield can say a lot in two sentences, good post
Old 02-18-10, 04:35 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man sometimes I just rattle on an on, my wife many times tells me to slooooow down, LOL. Have a fantastic day.
Old 02-18-10, 11:11 AM
MeisterR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SC430 is a great car... I would say it's a sport cruiser, but not a sport car.
It is fast enough, but you can drive it with ease so to speak.
The power is under your feet when needed and you don't have to "think" or "anticipate", it just go when you want it to.

But I have to say it standard handling is HORRIBLE!!!
I run MeisterR in the UK, and we are a suspension (coilovers) company.
I use a few of my personal cars as test bed when designing the suspension to see what works and what doesn't.

One of the first thing I did after I got my SC was chuck away the standard suspension and put on a set of MeisterR Coilovers.
The coilovers are designed for comfort, but remain a true dual perch design.
That change how the car drive to no end...
It is still comfortable (my girlfriend don't complain), but where before it feels like trying to turn the Titanic going into a corner, it nows feels like a standard BMW 3-Series; which is pretty good in my book.

I am starting up a pretty ambitious project with my SC now, I'll post more about that in the future.
Old 02-18-10, 04:01 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

The two biggest testimonies I can give for how "sporty" my SC430 are...

1. How awful it feels to drive an Enterprise loaner car. Nothing makes me miss the everyday, usable peppiness of my SC430 than being stuck with an average car. The SC430 is fast enough to be fun, smooth enough to be pampering, and is a drop top to boot.

2. I have no idea what I would replace it with for my every day driver. It is a nice ride every day on the highway and it is maneuverable enough to have done "hard over" snap lane changes to avoid what otherwise would have been a collision in an average car.

Is it a racing car? No. Does it sprint down the on ramp and leave most cars far behind? Yes, and it even handles great in snow and ice with snow tires and spike spyders. Our Porche's just become hockey pucks in ice.

For those times when we want to have a bit more oomph, power, and precision, my SC430 has two Aston Martin companions in the garage. Those go out just for fun, but as a daily, fun way to get anywhere my SC430 is the "go to" vehicle. We affectionately refer to mine as "the beater."

She's a 2002, has over a 100K miles and still going great. She's not a track car, but by far a better and fun ride than a Malibu.

Point is...going from my DB9 to the SC430 isn't too upsetting in terms of real road drivability and interior luxury, but going from the SC430 into an Impala or Malibu IS a huge unhappiness making drop.

Last edited by Seattle SCone; 02-18-10 at 06:57 PM.