Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 03:43 PM
johndoe10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Question

Guys I need some help.

So I just got a CPO SC430 2006 with 36,000 miles.
It will get driven about 13,000 per year.

The dealer has offered some additional warranty for me which he said I MUST purchase before I pick the car up and that it CAN NOT be purchased at another time. Once I pick up the car that's it... Is that true with CPO?

Anyway, he has offered a 5-year/100,000 for $2,050.

What do you guys think? Should I purchase this? Is it possible to perhaps call other dealerships to negotiate rates? They made it seem since it's a CPO that this is my only opportunity to purchase extended warranty.

Any suggestions? I plan to keep the car for a LONG time.
Old 02-08-10, 03:53 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The used car warranty extends for up to 5 years and 60K miles from the date of purchase. So if you have a car with 75K miles, the warranty will get you to 135K miles. This warranty costs more than the extended warranty. The used car warranty can be bought on cars beyond the factory warranty, the extended warranty is what you buy if your car is still under the factory warranty. What your dealer is probably explaining is the used car warranty, since it can only be sold by the dealer who sold the car at the time of sale. This is a way for Lexus dealers to trump other sellers, since only they can offer a Lexus warranty on an older, out of warranty car. My 03 was well out of warranty when I bought it, and is now covered under a used warranty, lasting for the next 5 years and 60,000. I paid $3200 to be covered, expecting that SC covered through its 13th year of service, will need some kind of work.

These cars are very reliable, but if you plan to own them after year 7, the odds are in your favor that the warranty will pay for itself. So it is up to you how long you intend to keep your 06.

Although only the selling dealer is qualified to offer you a used Lexus warranty, many dealerships break this rule. Shop around.

Breakdown

Lexus Factory warranty 5/60
Lexus Extended Warranty up to 7 years 100 (must be purchased during factory warranty ANYTIME before factory warranty expires)
CPO up to 100K 7 years (must be CPO at time of purchase)
Lexus Used Warranty up to 5 years 60K miles from date used car was purchased. (must be purchased from Lexus dealer selling the used car, and purchased at time of sale)

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 02-08-10 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 03:53 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Is it still under the original factory warranty? And, is it a Lexus warranty? 5 years puts you at nine, which seems like an odd number...
Old 02-08-10, 04:10 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would make sure that the warranty is extended beyond the odometer of 100,000.
Katy
Old 02-08-10, 06:57 PM
johndoe10
Driver School Candidate

I must admit that I am getting a little confused. Here is what was offered:

5 years or 100,000 ml - $2050
6 years or 100,000 ml - $2550

The car currently has 3yrs/100,000 CPO warrranty. The 100,000 is total car miles. So if I get the "5yr/100,000" it extends the CPO warranty for 2 more years.
Old 02-08-10, 07:58 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Kaiser is right- I've bought one before (Lexus platinum ESP) but I bought the 3/75 plan for 1800. Nice breakdown too!!!!

I would buy it only if you plan keeping the car longer than three years. I laughed at the Dell computer rep that tried to sell me a 300 extended warranty on my 500 inspirion laptop that will surely be dead and an antique when the factory warranty expires in two years... Plus the repair/replacement cost was not a good value.

We have tossed this debate around for years, but all agree that ml speakers do go out regularly, motor mounts and tranny mounts as well as cd changer sometimes and nav door can be very costly repairs. I believe I read somewhere that several older sc's had another issue in common-o2 sensor? Can't remember.

$2k is less than a couple of mark levinson speakers at the dealer! I would do it, but I'm biased. I never bought extended warranties until my first sc. Still don't really.... My iPhone black tie warranty cost more than the phone itself!!!
Old 02-08-10, 08:20 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johndoe10
I must admit that I am getting a little confused. Here is what was offered:

5 years or 100,000 ml - $2050
6 years or 100,000 ml - $2550

The car currently has 3yrs/100,000 CPO warrranty. The 100,000 is total car miles. So if I get the "5yr/100,000" it extends the CPO warranty for 2 more years.
If the average CPO increases the price of the car $3,000, wouldn't you actually be paying $5,050 for that 5 year warranty? That CPO isn't free...you're paying for it, and it's not cheap.

Seems to me that if you buy the 5 year warranty, you should tell them to cancel the CPO and knock $3,000 off the price of the car. Is the 5 year warranty a bumper to bumper warranty like the CPO? I assume I'm not looking at something correctly....

And who knows, since it's already a CPO car in Lexus' computer system, maybe it'll stay a CPO car whether you pay for it, or not. That happened to someone else on here a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-08-10, 08:26 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Good point! A loophole in the system? They already registered it as cpo! Tell them to non cpo it and just pay the difference on the ESP.

Knowing dealers response, they will say that the cpo only cost them $982 (which is what it says on my cpo literature) so they will still charge you another $1k for the warranty.

There are subtle diiferences between cpo and an ESP.... Check out Lexus.com for the comparo. With all you guys have been through looking for the car you probably just want a nice clean transaction with no more haggling right??
Old 02-08-10, 08:37 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some new options that are now available under the Extended service plan:
  • 4 yrs beyond the original (Total of 8 yrs from DOFU) or 75 k miles
  • 4 yrs additional (8 yrs from DOFU)/100k miles

Check with Troy Dietrich at toyota of Greenfield for pricing on these plans. I have bought a platinum plan from him on my GX in the past and I plan on buying one for my new 2006 SC. As Scdroptop said these plans are well worth it. I have always bought one on every pre-owned Lexus that I have purchased and have come out ahead in every single case. Just one AC repair on my 97 LX paid for the ESP in the past. Only caution is to buy a plan from a reputable underwriter (preferably Lexus) as some dealerships are finicky about the plans they accept.

JohnDoe10: Did you buy the 2006 CPO from Sewell. There is one over there with about 36k miles for under $31k.
Congrats on your new purchase. I have owned my 06 SC for about 3 days now. This is one ride that I seem to enjoy more with every drive! There are still a lot of things I will have to get used to....but I am enjoying the car.
Old 02-16-10, 10:22 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default Lexus Platinum Plan

Does the Lexus Platinum Plan (Extended Service Plan) cover retractable roof parts?

How reliable is the retractable roof? What are the typical failures? Is there any suggested/recommended maintenance?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-10, 02:49 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Kaiser is right- I've bought one before (Lexus platinum ESP) but I bought the 3/75 plan for 1800. Nice breakdown too!!!!

I would buy it only if you plan keeping the car longer than three years. I laughed at the Dell computer rep that tried to sell me a 300 extended warranty on my 500 inspirion laptop that will surely be dead and an antique when the factory warranty expires in two years... Plus the repair/replacement cost was not a good value.

We have tossed this debate around for years, but all agree that ml speakers do go out regularly, motor mounts and tranny mounts as well as cd changer sometimes and nav door can be very costly repairs. I believe I read somewhere that several older sc's had another issue in common-o2 sensor? Can't remember.

$2k is less than a couple of mark levinson speakers at the dealer! I would do it, but I'm biased. I never bought extended warranties until my first sc. Still don't really.... My iPhone black tie warranty cost more than the phone itself!!!
^^^^1, great advice, my next SC will be with a warranty
Old 02-17-10, 06:41 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Options2k
Does the Lexus Platinum Plan (Extended Service Plan) cover retractable roof parts?

How reliable is the retractable roof? What are the typical failures? Is there any suggested/recommended maintenance?

Thanks.
Anyone used the Lexus ESP for roof repair?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-10, 08:53 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Options2k

When I bought my ESP, I asked that question and the answer I received was yes it does. I couldn't see anything in the ESP document that indicated otherwise either.

I don't remember seeing any posts regarding retractable roof failures. Some creaks and rattles on a few, but no failures. The only one that comes to mind that is even close is when someone accidentally hits the trunk release during roof raising or lowering.
Old 02-17-10, 06:32 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Sorry about that.
ESP = extended service plan
CPO = certified (drat, drawing a blank here), basically that Lexus certifies that this car has passed 100+ tests and they give it a special warranty (basically a platinum warranty) to show how much they trust the car to be reliable and that they stand behind it
Old 02-17-10, 10:42 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Harold57
When I bought my ESP, I asked that question and the answer I received was yes it does. I couldn't see anything in the ESP document that indicated otherwise either.

I don't remember seeing any posts regarding retractable roof failures. Some creaks and rattles on a few, but no failures. The only one that comes to mind that is even close is when someone accidentally hits the trunk release during roof raising or lowering.
Thanks Harold. I have always bought ESP on every pre-owned vehicle. Used it on my first ES and then the LX...basically, the plan paid for itself in the first repair outside of the basic warranty on each of these vehicles.

Retractable roof is "new" to me and I don't know anything about it's durability...hence the questions. I went through the Platinum plan information today on lexus.com and essentially concluded that the key parts like hinges and the motor are covered. Other parts may be covered too but I specifically recall these mentioned.

I am a believer in ESP. Will buy one soon for the new SC.....a 4 yrs (8 yrs total)/75K miles plan. Looks like this car is going to be a keeper .....my 12 yr old daughter is already trying to convince me that this could be her "present" when she graduates from college...LOL. At least she didn't ask if she could take it to college.....she knows dad.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Question