SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Confessions of a reluctant convert

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 06:04 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Confessions of a reluctant convert

It has been six months now since I bought my '02 SC430. I sold my '57 VW European Vert (very rare) and my prized '06 Miata to buy this car ( and then some..another story). I had tire vibration problems, acceleration problems, and suspension problems...and came close to giving up many, many times...but always wanted this car from new when I saw at the new car show in 2002....it is just so pretty!!!!Well, Finally..it is right!!...and I could not be happier...great acceleration, NO vibration, NO suspension unwanted feedback...FAST and FUN.Finally fixed the tire vibration problem this past Saturday with my friend and tech at Lextech in Apache Junction AZ. Paul rebalanced the tires with a (probably 20 year old machine) allowed me to clean all of the old weight adhesives from the inside of my new wheels (balanced 3 X by others)and it now drives ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. My message to everyone is to no not give up....this is an incredible car...you just have to have allot of patience to not give up!!! Best Wishes, Bob
Old 02-08-10, 08:20 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Bob- the good thing is that you've shown restraint in giving her up and realized what a gem you had unlike myself who got greedy and wanted something "better" than my absolutely red/ecru 2002 with 29k garage queen called Alexa! Bad move! I drove 'em all...you all know what happened next. It's tough to beat the sc overall package. I don't think we (me included) spend enough time praising our sc's as we do complaining about lack of tech, performance, etc etc. Thanks for the post!!!
Old 02-09-10, 08:20 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Bob- the good thing is that you've shown restraint in giving her up and realized what a gem you had unlike myself who got greedy and wanted something "better" than my absolutely red/ecru 2002 with 29k garage queen called Alexa! Bad move! I drove 'em all...you all know what happened next. It's tough to beat the sc overall package. I don't think we (me included) spend enough time praising our sc's as we do complaining about lack of tech, performance, etc etc. Thanks for the post!!!
^^^^^1, you're right about too much negative and not enough positive. I love my SC, best car Lexus builds period.
Old 02-09-10, 09:27 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

dittos on love at first sight.
the 430 is rapidly becoming a true classic.
Old 02-09-10, 11:17 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

That's good advice Bob and encouraging also. Just because a shop balances and aligns the tires, doesn't always mean that they did a good job. Keep after it and get it fixed right! I'm glad to hear that you've gotten all the kinks ironed out and can fully enjoy the car for what it is.
Old 02-09-10, 03:27 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sc430 "stuff"

Thanks to all of you that replied....getting a car "right" is a very lonely process..and takes allot of patience. Being new to the Lexus breed, it has taken me allot of reading and patience to figure out what is real...and what is not. Many owners seem to reflect that this is not a true "sports" car...and they are right..HOWEVER...when you take a look at what the car delivers (when right) it is hard to beat...I have had Porsches, Miatas, TR-6 , MGB, VW Classics, and 240 Z` cars..and dollar for dollar, this is probably the best car I have ever owned...and do NOT plan on replacing...period. I will continue to upgrade and "hotrod". I really now have a car that I can both enjoy..and know that will "Last"...again, allot you that are frustrated..hang in there..it just takes time, patience and knowledge. Best Wishes, Bob
Old 02-10-10, 04:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
Thanks to all of you that replied....getting a car "right" is a very lonely process..and takes allot of patience. Being new to the Lexus breed, it has taken me allot of reading and patience to figure out what is real...and what is not. Many owners seem to reflect that this is not a true "sports" car...and they are right..HOWEVER...when you take a look at what the car delivers (when right) it is hard to beat...I have had Porsches, Miatas, TR-6 , MGB, VW Classics, and 240 Z` cars..and dollar for dollar, this is probably the best car I have ever owned...and do NOT plan on replacing...period. I will continue to upgrade and "hotrod". I really now have a car that I can both enjoy..and know that will "Last"...again, allot you that are frustrated..hang in there..it just takes time, patience and knowledge. Best Wishes, Bob
^^^^1, very well said Bob.