SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Changing interior color

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 03:49 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing interior color

We have an '02 Red SC with Ecru..and would like to change the interior color to red...anyone have experience in doing this? Can it be re-dyed, or do we need to find a used interior package (NM) to do this right? Bob
Old 02-09-10, 04:05 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

I know some folks have used an interior paint to keep their Ecru seats looking good. I don't know of any dye type that would work. The Ecru color is very deep into the leather and some of the other panels in the interior are not leather but a type of vinyl (Head Liner etc.) making it even more difficult to dye.

I would suggest a full panel by panel swap out with another color. But personally I love the Red/Ecru combination. It looks great with my wife behind the wheel!
Old 02-09-10, 05:38 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might just be personal taste, but I would put the red interior in your Pine colored SC and leave the Ecru or put the Saddle from the Pine into the Red SC. I think Red interior and red exterior wouldn't look right for some reason, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure if there is a dying method that could be effective on the ecru. Additionally, dying would fade on the Ecru quickly. It's better to find a red interior but I doubt that it would be an easy search. Please keep us posted. GL!
Old 02-10-10, 03:33 AM
4onenight
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just get it re upholstered and do a nice two-tone blk/red combination, and it wont cost as much as doing a complete swap!
Old 02-10-10, 04:27 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think dyeing will work, a seat/panel swap-out might cost you $4000. I would re-think this project, I agree with playu3, the red with red might not work, JMO. Good Luck
Old 02-10-10, 10:39 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you can do it

Originally Posted by azkaty
We have an '02 Red SC with Ecru..and would like to change the interior color to red...anyone have experience in doing this? Can it be re-dyed, or do we need to find a used interior package (NM) to do this right? Bob
If you have the right budget, professional skills and time, then defently you can do whatever you like with the interior of your car.
I changed all of mt car interior to a comp of balck & red, it took me long time, a lot of $$ but at the end I fely great and it does really woth it. all leathers can be changed, plastecs can be colored, rubbers also can be colored.
look at my car after mods in this link and you will now what I mean:-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-new-pics.html
Old 02-11-10, 03:59 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you were to do red on red, you wouldn't have any contrast. kinda boring to look at in my opinion. that said, the best approach would probably be to have an upholstery shop reupholster it. you'll have a hard time finding interior parts for sale. they're common in japan, red is a standard interior option. but japanese parts won't work since everything is reversed. trying to dye it would probably be a disaster.
Old 02-11-10, 04:06 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Sine Bob will be keeping his red` SC forever, I know he is going to be doing changes to it.. and he is really focused in the interior.

I like what the Eternal Jewell has done with the interior with red and black.
Katy
Old 02-11-10, 04:53 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sine Bob will be keeping his red` SC forever, I know he is going to be doing changes to it.. and he is really focused in the interior.

I like what the Eternal Jewell has done with the interior with red and black.
Katy
, trust your gut, go for it !!
Old 02-11-10, 05:00 PM
Alterious
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wouldn't dye it! just find a upholstery shop in your area and go with black/red interior like the eternal jewel japanese version. That would look awesome!
Old 02-11-10, 05:54 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you can do it. The leather in our cars has a coating on it to repel stains. I think that would really screw up any sort of attempt to dye it. I think you'd end up with a mess.
Old 02-11-10, 07:35 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't try dyeing it. I also wouldn't put the red in Jade either (unless you want that Xmas look all year). I also wouldn't put red on red either. In my earlier years it seemed that the nice cars that I had in the beginning were all xxx on xxx. So I'm just not a fan of it now. But I think a black interior with red inserts would look great. But then that is my opinion. Maybe look around for set of black seat coverings and have someone sew in red inserts, then install. Now that I think would look great. Maybe add cooling holes in the seat and back inserts with a fan. Now that would be real cool.
Old 02-13-10, 10:57 AM
Bellex
Pit Crew

I think the Red/Red combo might be beautiful (thinking m3 here).... I reckon you could purchase new black carpet and have the seats/door cards/dash piece professionally dyed. The remaining black will contrast very nicely with the red... Only downfall imho of a pebble beach interior is the red carpet... would have been perfect it if was black!!
Old 02-13-10, 11:38 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

katy/bob-are you guys REAL serious?

I've posted all the red leather parts before for you guys. If you truly want a Eternal car like in Japan, why not do a combo interior with OEM parts? You could buy the door panels in the pimento red and the center console for example? Fresh, new OEM pimento red leather would be preferable over an aftermarket look/feel from a custom leather shop, UNLESS you found an absolutely awesome place that uses full grain leather hide (not top grain or pleather like a lot of places) and the pimento dye or close to it.

I think Bob's car would look awesome with a two tone interior, but not too much red. How about the seats stay Ecru, but you do the center console, middle console and door inserts in red? The seats may be too much $$$ to do. Remember they were like several thousand each! OUCH! Plus, the pimento red doesn't really "match" per se the absolutely red of your car. The pimento is different for sure. Believe me, I've had both I know. Too much pimento might look funny, but accents of it would be SWEET!

Now, I know it would be VERY Christmasy, but what beats a great Christmas, right? I think (IMO) that Jade would be so cool in all red interior! LOL Seriously BUT, I do love the saddle in it...so classic, so it would be hard to out-do it.

By the time you guys mess around with all the interior on both cars, you could have bought a used 2005 Pebble Beach and have a third SC!!! The FIRST EVER family with THREE SC's in it!!! LOL I love it. You guys are awesome.

Here you go...a 2005 Pebble Beach just like mine but for $22k with 80k miles. You could probably steal it for $20k. Providing that it checks out, you might SAVE some money buying this versus converting two of your SC's interiors! LOL OR...check out the one below this black PB in AZ close to you guys...a white 2007 PB beautiful ad as well $34k

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Last edited by scdroptop; 02-13-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-13-10, 03:43 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

I have Bob out working on Jade--swirl removal..

I think the best idea is to do the seats in a two tone. Red/white or red /black.

And I'm NOT giving up my saddle interior!!

Katy

Quick Reply: Changing interior color