SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Calling All Non-Garage Kept SCs-Any Leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 04:14 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calling All Non-Garage Kept SCs-Any Leaks?

New subject line but same problem!! OK - have owned my 2004 PB for 2 yrs. - non-garage kept - and had first leak problem last year when trunk had some water near the back of trunk. Was fixed by Lexus dealer. It was the rubber sealing around trunk so seals were totally replaced and built up a bit. All OK until recently when I had condensation inside car - windows front and back and turns out my back carpet was soaked (I never saw water leaking into the car). So Lexus "leak experts" diagnosed and the rubber seals across the top of the car and around back of trunk were bad so they just replaced all.

Expert who I trust at Lexus dealer told me that the rubber sealing will ultimately go bad if the car is left out in the sun and elements (vs. being garage kept or covered). He said the rubber weathers and shrinks. I live in Maryland so we don't have extreme weather (except this winter) but problems did not have to do with extreme snow we had this year.

So my question to those who own SCs that are NOT garage kept nor covered with car covers or other shelter - have you had same problems with corrosion of rubber seals that have resulted in leaks. Or like with me, I didn't notice water leaking inside but noticed condensation on inside of windows (this means you have water getting inside the car). Or if not garage kept but you have had your SC kept under a good car cover, has your car been leak free?

I was told that this problem is common with any hardtop convertable that is not sheltered because of the the rubber seals involved. I love my SC - love the ride, love the unique PB color combo - light blue and want to keep it. I am getting a good car cover and might add a garage this summer. But I am interested in whether anyone who has had an unsheltered SC has had these leak problems.

Thanks, Rustito
Old 02-17-10, 11:17 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Well, no replies to this but people are viewing the post so I assume there are other SCs out there not under shelter. As per the thread on car covers, I am planning on getting a good one while I consider building a garage for my girl (PB that is)! I think I can live with a well made car cover that will protect rubber seals.

Still interested in any other stories about leaking SCs. I know I am not the only one and it might help others planning on getting an SC but who have no garage or garage space for the SC. I would still get the SC (they are just so much fun I have no regrets) - just consider a good car cover or other form of shelter at least to protect rubber seals.
Rustito
Old 02-17-10, 12:16 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I no longer own the car, but I had the problems you describe with an `02 SC430 that was kept outdoors. Same issue and same fix - dealer replaced all rubber seals and the problem went away. Also, I believe it's not uncommon in extreme weather conditions like those we sometimes experience on the east coast for the seals to fail due to climate changes - cold and hot conditions. When I owned the `02, as well as the `04 that replaced it, I would occasionally clean and treat the rubber seals with a rubber conditioner. My best advice, if you cannot garage your car, is to use a good car cover when the car is parked outdoors for long periods of time.
Old 02-17-10, 04:42 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had no problems, I do use the lexus OEM cover for extended periods of non-use. I also use a rubber conditioner about three times/yr.
Old 02-17-10, 06:50 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

What rubber conditioner is recommended that doesn't attract dirt also?
Old 02-18-10, 06:47 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

The best treatment for the gaskets is, I think, 303 Aerospace Protectant. I use this on all the gaskets twice a year, even though I keep the SC in a garage all summer (and outdoors under a cover for 3 winter months). Read about it on the 303 web pages, and in the "detailers" forums. Also excellent for the dash and the tires. Readily available and highly recommended.
Old 02-18-10, 09:00 AM
Tapdout
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '03 SC430 that had the same problem and I live near you (d.c.). I purchased mine (certified in '06) from Lexus of Rockville but would take it to Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria to get it serviced. Lindsay would alway give me the run around and make statements like "where did you buy the car?" As if they didn't know, just fix it!!! It took them about 4 attempts before they finally got it right. They even tried to give my car back to me once with the trunk offline. I went ballistic at their dealership. I think they felt like I should take it to the dealer I purchased it from to get warranty work done. I brought one of those $400 Lexus car covers (actually paid $220 for it) and keep it covered as much as possible now.
'03 SC430 Onyx & Ecru
Old 02-18-10, 02:41 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Tapdout - Have you had any problems since you have been keeping it under the car cover? I just purchased one which should arrive in about 2 weeks - I got the best and the one recommended here too - Weathershiled HP. I will keep it covered as much as possible, however, in the good weather I drive it every day so will be hard to keep covered unless I take it on and off frequently. Do you ever treat the gaskets like has been recommended?

I got my 04 certified in Jan 08 from Pohanka Lexus in VA. Found out the original owner was on this forum and he said he had no problems. But all my services have been done at Lexus of Rockville and they are great - esp. Larry who runs the service shop and now knows my car well. It took several tries to fix my leak which first appeared in the trunk and then turns out was coming in behind the back seats and I didn't realize it until I got condensation on inside of windows. But Lexus of Rockville never tried to send me back to Pohankwa so your situation at Lindsay sounds strange. But easiest to go to closest.

But interesting to hear others are having same problem - sorry we are but it means there is some logic here - these cars should be kept under some cover.

Rustito