SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Key and Remote Programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 08:58 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Key and Remote Programming

I have tried three procedures...unsuccessfully. The closest I have come is this one from JohnMD post. I have been able to add the new remote functionality to the car but the new key still cannot start the car. Basically, the car does not recognize the new transponder. Here are the procedures:

Key Programming
1. Close all doors. (Should I lock them?)
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the original key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Remote Programming (Tami's procedure in JohnMD's post):
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open driver's door.
2. Put original key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES. (The driver's door is open during this step)
3. Close and open the driver's door TWO TIMES. (Close, open, close and open....the door is open at the end of this step)
4. Put original key into the ignition and remove.
5. Close and open the drivers door two times. (Close, open, close and open....the driver's door is open at the end of this step)
6. Put NEW key into the ignition. Close the driver's door.
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.) (I turn the new key ON and then OFF only ONCE as I want to add the new remote and the key. This step is confusing and is probably the source of my issue)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put new key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming. (Am I suppose to put the original key to end programming?)

My additions to the procedures are in bold. Please check and let me know the correct procedures to add the key as well as the remote to my 2006 SC. If there is any other procedure that works for a 2006 then please post.

BNR34: Apparently, you have used the above posted procedures successfully on your 06. What am I doing wrong?

FYI...the key cranks the engine but is unable to start it. However, the remote (FCC id: HYQ12BBK) locks/unlocks the car successfully. But the key can only crank the engine

Thanks.

Last edited by Options2k; 02-16-10 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 10:08 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

First question....how many keys do you have? There is a limit. Second question...what year is your SC?
Old 02-16-10, 10:29 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
First question....how many keys do you have? There is a limit. Second question...what year is your SC?
I only got one master key with the car. I don't know how many keys were programmed in the past....my guess would be three (two masters and one valet) based on car's service history. The car is a 2006 model.

Unrelated: I checked your car's photo album. Awesome . Where did you get the front cover/bra?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-10, 06:39 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Default Update: Successful key and Remote Programming

This morning I successfully programmed and added a new key to my 2006 SC. I don't know why the procedure did not work last night...may be I was bit quicker this morning. Here are successful procedures, essentially same as in JohnMD's post but with some clarifications/edits in bold:

Key Programming
1. Close all doors. (I locked them)
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the original key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Speed may be important here. Quickness helps.

Remote Programming (Tami's procedure in JohnMD's post):
2. Put original key into ignition and remove TWO TIMES. (The driver's door is open during this step)
3. Close and open the driver's door TWO TIMES. (Close, open, close and open....the door is open at the end of this step)
5. Close and open the drivers door two times. (Close, open, close and open....the driver's door is open at the end of this step)
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.) (I turned the new key ON and then OFF only ONCE as I want to add the new remote and the key)
8. Remove the key from the ignition. The door locks will cycle one time (or two if you are erasing) . On the REMOTE press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button for 2 seconds. On the REMOTE press the LOCK button for one second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception.

9. Open and close the drivers door. Put new key in ignition and pull out. This will end
programming.

Enjoy
Old 02-17-10, 08:17 AM
VVTiBob

Thanks...

Got my front end mask here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUI...s#ht_767wt_939

but you have a 2006 so it's not going to fit correctly due to changes in the front end. Instead of front end masks, they use "clear bra" products from 3M ...info here ... http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...t_Information/

But I like the look with the blacked out front end mask and silver body following....
Old 02-18-10, 05:44 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Thanks...

Got my front end mask here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUI...s#ht_767wt_939

but you have a 2006 so it's not going to fit correctly due to changes in the front end. Instead of front end masks, they use "clear bra" products from 3M ...info here ... http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...t_Information/

But I like the look with the blacked out front end mask and silver body following....
I like the look of the front end mask too. I saw a few with the 3M film when I was shopping for the car and I didn't like the looks, especially on darker colors. The film gives an appearance of a scratch at the edge.

I am going to shop around for a front end mask for a 2006 model. Have you heard of this outfit? What do you think?

Thanks.

Cheers
Old 02-18-10, 07:28 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

Options2K see PM sent to you about front end cover. Colgan is excellent.
Old 02-18-10, 08:41 AM
VVTiBob

I have not used that "outfit" so I cannot comment. What I can tell you is the fit for the OEM mask includes snaps integrated into it at the fender wells along with tabs and hooks. You actually replace screws with the male end of a snap to have a very clean connection with the body and insert tabs around the grille.

So I went to the Colgan website http://www.colgancustom.com/ they use a photo of the SC along with Mustang on the home page...which is a positive sign. I did see a couple of differences: they use a sheer screen over the grille area and theirs goes up and over the headlamps where the OEM version only goes halfway up the headlamps. Take a look at their PDF Tri-Fold Brochure here: http://www.colgancustom.com/support/...g/tri-fold.pdf. I would not be a bit surprised if Lexus/Toyota had not contracted with these folks to make their OEM front end mask.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-18-10 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Additional info and links
Old 02-18-10, 09:28 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question with the front end mask do you have to take it off often to wax and get the water from underneath the mask so that it doesn't ruin the paint? I had one one a Mustang and if I didn't take it off often it actually dulled the paint. I had the 3m installed on my SC430 and mine Silver in color and you can hardly see it, now the people that installed mine are out of Annapolis and Lexus Of Annapolis use them for all there cars, I had done business with them for my Saleen and my wife's 350Z as a matter of fact her Z is a 2004 and last year she called them up and told them it was cracking and they told her to bring it in and they removed all of it and replaced same at no cost. The company name is Front Guard I highly recommend them.
Old 02-18-10, 10:09 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 160 Posts

No, the front end mask does not need to be removed before programming the key. Just kidding, I thought there should be a tie in to the original question. I have had the Colgan for about a year now. I do not leave it on all the time. It only takes a couple minutes to apply and I just use it when I will be on the interstate. In my opinion that is the biggest risk for stone chips etc. I have had two other Lexus OEM masks, one for an ES and another for an RX and they were almost identical in construction to the Colgan. I had left the ES on for almost 4 months at one point and it got wet repeatedly. I never saw any deterioration of the paint. However, I recommend against doing that.
Old 07-16-10, 07:01 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

For future reference, Options2k remote programming instructions worked for me on an 2006. Note that step 9 is not simply a step to exit programming mode but is actually part of the programming of the new remote itself.

Originally Posted by Options2k
This morning I successfully programmed and added a new key to my 2006 SC. I don't know why the procedure did not work last night...may be I was bit quicker this morning. Here are successful procedures, essentially same as in JohnMD's post but with some clarifications/edits in bold:

[U]Key Remote Programming (Tami's procedure in JohnMD's post):
7. Turn ignition ON then OFF ONE TIME- this will put the car in ADD mode for your remote. (Turning the ignition ON then OFF TWO TIMES will ADD the remote but will erase all existing remotes.) (I turned the new key ON and then OFF only ONCE as I want to add the new remote and the key)

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted. IF the locks cycle twice it has failed. IF this happens you must start over. Hold the remotes higher up for better reception.

programming.

Enjoy
Old 07-20-10, 05:11 AM
2005SC430
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the programming directions they will come in usefull but I first need to buy a spare key. I have a 2005 SC430 and looked in the manual for the FCC ID # and it gave me M0ZRI-4ATY-A. The only key I have found are keys with the FCC ID #HYQ12BBK. I was wondering if the FCC ID# HYQ12BBK will work with my car and if anyone else has used it.
thank you Jesse
Old 11-04-12, 03:31 PM
sdfaith
Driver School Candidate

I have the HYQ.... key. It works perfectly fine on my 2005 SC430.