SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

reflections of a reluctant convert (contd).

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 06:18 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default reflections of a reluctant convert (contd).

A couple of months ago, I posted a thread on my "reluctant convert" experience when I bought my '02 SC. I have had many, many, very nice cars in my life...most recently selling my prized '57 VW European vert, and my very much loved '06 Miata. I honestly was not very happy with my decision to sell these cars and purchased my '02...until I finally, after many, many frustrating experiences, finally got my '02 right. Now, I am facing another dilemma...my '02 drives fantastic...but still needs the hood repainted (rock chips) and the driver's seat outer bolster needs to be refinished or replaced...the car is paid for, and I really love the way it drives. New tires, lower control arm bushings,..Injen cold air intake (really love this)..and I have to admit, drives very, very nice. Don't know if I am just getting old (can't believe that I turned 60 in December), but have been looking at purchasing an '02 Neiman Marcus car...but....maybe it is age or ??? I am feeling that a "collector" SC may not be for me!! I would have to "start all over again" fixing what will undoubtedly need to be done to make her right..when I have an almost perfect "02 Absolutely red w/ Ecru...that just needs another $1,500 to make like new! Love the NM color combo...but maybe I have finally matured to position in my life where I am finally very pleased with what I have..your thoughts....Bob
Old 03-04-10, 12:33 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you completely, Bob, for what it's worth.

By the way, have you ever seen the red leather seats in person? If you haven't, I would recommend you see them before arranging to buy a car with the red seats, sight unseen.

I love red, too, and was just positive I wanted an SC with the red seats (either the '05 or '07 Pebble Beach). A few months ago, a local Lexus dealer had a black '05 Pebble Beach, so I went to check it out.

Needless to say....I was very surprised. The red in these cars is VERY, VERY red.....and it's everywhere. It was so shocking to me that I questioned whether or not I wanted it anymore. It's just soooo red.

So from the pictures I had seen, I knew I wanted it....I loved it. But after seeing it in person, it's definitely different and, for me, it would take some getting used to. Many people absolutely hate the red leather, so if your feelings would be hurt easily, you might think twice before choosing it.

Let's put it this way. There are probably few people that would ever look at your red SC with Ecru interior and not like it. But there are going to be several people that won't like your Silver Belle with red leather interior. That's apparent from some of the comments here on CL. So it's something to think about.
Old 03-04-10, 07:35 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, I agree with TooCoolSC...I've seen the red leather interior in person. Wow!

I'm pretty sure the actual Lexus name for this interior color is "effing red!!" If it's not, it should be!

It's...polarizing.
Old 03-04-10, 08:49 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

just seeing it in pictures makes my eyes bleed.
Old 03-04-10, 11:24 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
just seeing it in pictures makes my eyes bleed.
Yeah, some just think it looks horrible. But I dont; I love it in the pictures. And it's not that I didn't like the red leather when I saw it in person. It's just that it's everywhere....no contrast anywhere. And even for me (who loves red leather), it was just a bit much. That's not to say I don't still think about getting it. I still love the look of the white, '07 PB. But it sure is red.

Not that it matters, but I think it would look much better to keep the red leather seats, but to have some color differences elsewhere in the cabin; possibly around the dash, the armrest, and/or on the sides of the door. I think a black and red contrast looks great together. And like someone said, black carpet would help tone down the overall red factor. Black floor mats are always an option, but that's still going to have a different look than black carpet.

To each his own. The only point I was trying to make was to actually see the red leather before purchasing, because it's a real eye opener when you see it in person.
Old 03-04-10, 12:05 PM
Yes

i like red leather in general. my couch and love seat are red leather. just a darker shade. but i have the same problem. there's just too much red for my taste.
Old 03-04-10, 01:26 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Red is not for me, bet if you took a poll you'd have 3 out of 4 people say it's not for them either. Red/ecru is a great color combination, the Silver Belle is a special car for special people. It definitely solicits conversation and stares !! Bob and Katy are two people that would definitely appreciate it ! go for it !
Old 03-04-10, 03:25 PM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say, try (to find) a black over black 430.
pretty rare.
the lack of color make all the contours really sing.
looks more bad ***, too.
Old 03-04-10, 04:09 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tromly
Red is not for me, bet if you took a poll you'd have 3 out of 4 people say it's not for them either. Red/ecru is a great color combination, the Silver Belle is a special car for special people. It definitely solicits conversation and stares !! Bob and Katy are two people that would definitely appreciate it ! go for it !
Bob keeps looking at all the work he has done on his SC..He loves it..I think he is going to see if he can get his driver seat bottom done, and just enjoy the Ecru

As for me.. I just got new Michelins Sports A/S today.. what great tires! I am going to chance not getting a spare, until I can find a Supra TT spare,and as Bob has a spare in his car..and.. I hope that he will let me borrow it , if ever needed!
Katy
Old 03-04-10, 04:31 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
Bob keeps looking at all the work he has done on his SC..He loves it..I think he is going to see if he can get his driver seat bottom done, and just enjoy the Ecru

As for me.. I just got new Michelins Sports A/S today.. what great tires! I am going to chance not getting a spare, until I can find a Supra TT spare,and as Bob has a spare in his car..and.. I hope that he will let me borrow it , if ever needed!
Katy
If my wife ever wanted to borrow my spare, and I didn't give it up, she would call the police and tell them to come get the warm body out of her house.
Old 03-04-10, 05:04 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tromly
If my wife ever wanted to borrow my spare, and I didn't give it up, she would call the police and tell them to come get the warm body out of her house.
Tromly! You crack me up!!
Katy
Old 03-05-10, 08:09 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just fix your driver seat, repaint the hood, and call it good. You don't want to take chances on unknown similarly to your used car. Had it been a huge upgrade like an 06 or something with a price that you can't pass on then maybe a yeah to take a chance on. Seems like a small return on a big gamble to me.
Old 03-06-10, 05:49 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
Katy
Just register on a couple of the Supra forums and ask for a spare. You'll likely find one available in your area and you won't even have to pay shipping.
Old 03-07-10, 06:52 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

A year or so ago, I found a parts supplier that had a '04 Camry donut temporary spare (exact match to 18" SC430 wheels).
Eagle Auto and Truck Works (Phoenix, AZ)
800-839-0965
www.eagleautoaz.com

With tax and shipping: $106.23
Bought it and got it days later, in perfect condition. Very quick and reliable transaction.

Give 'em a call.
Old 03-07-10, 09:54 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by jimmer!
A year or so ago, I found a parts supplier that had a '04 Camry donut temporary spare (exact match to 18" SC430 wheels).
Eagle Auto and Truck Works (Phoenix, AZ)
800-839-0965
www.eagleautoaz.com

With tax and shipping: $106.23
Bought it and got it days later, in perfect condition. Very quick and reliable transaction.

Give 'em a call.
are you sure it clears the brakes?

Quick Reply: reflections of a reluctant convert (contd).