SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does anyone have the Cetrafuse CarPC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 01:24 PM
t119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have the Cetrafuse CarPC?

I was looking at their site and wondering if it would work for an sc? If any of you have it, I would appreciate details on price and installation.

Thank You

Tyler
Old 03-04-10, 01:32 PM
Jay87T
Driver School Candidate

centrafuse is just frontend software, I run it in my SC430, I have a 7" touchscreen in the dash and a minipc under the passangers seat. Go to mp3car.com and research on what you need.
Jay.
Old 03-04-10, 07:44 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if u want to know about car pc's you should ask Habious as he is the car pc guru
Old 03-05-10, 06:41 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by t119
I was looking at their site and wondering if it would work for an sc? If any of you have it, I would appreciate details on price and installation.

Thank You

Tyler

<Raises hand>

I have a CarPC in the truck running CentraFuse. I pipe the audio through the factory stereo via a VaisTech SLU aux input adapter and the video to the factory nav screen via the NavTool video input adapter. Works very well.

I control it all through a Space Navigator controller mounted on the center console on top of the little coin box.
Old 03-07-10, 04:26 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The price of centrafuse is on their website for the software. Not sure how to install one on a 430 but I have one in my SC300 using a carputer setup. Hands down the best software to run your car audio and everything else inside your car. Here is a video of my carputer running centrafuse 3.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkuT_VQwZ-0
Old 03-08-10, 07:38 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Here's the Cliff's Notes for doing a CarPC in an SC430. These are round numbers based on my experience. You can do it for less than this...and you can do it for more than this. The more you spend, the more you'll enjoy it and the less problems you have, however, at some point, you get into the law of diminishing returns. For example, I quote for 2GB of memory. You could bump that up to 4GB pretty cheaply but, you're not really going to get much of a performance boost going from 2 - 4GB (in a CarPC environment). This list is in no way all-inclusive...but this is the big stuff.

Video input

NavTool video input box - $225.00
(also, if you're going to bother putting in a CarPC and a NavTool, I think you'd be a little bit crazy NOT to go ahead and install a backup camera. A decent license-plate frame camera will run you around $200.00)

Audio input (assuming a '02-04 SC430)

VaisTech SLU Aux input interface - $219.00

Computer

Case - ~$100.00
Power supply - $80.00
Motherboard - $150.00
Processor - $150.00
Memory - $75.00
Hard Drive - $50.00
Windows XP OS - $50.00
Centrafuse Front End software - $80.00 (assuming no Nav)

Controller

Space Navigator - $100.00

So, adding it all up, you get - $1,279.00 ($1,479.00 if you add in the back-up camera)
Plus installation...plus probably $200ish in wires, connectors and many many bits and pieces.

Accessories / Add-ons

If you want to tie your phone into it, you need a decent noise-cancelling mic and a Bluetooth adapter ($~100.00 for both).

You want internet, you need to add a Wi-Fi adapter ($15-50).

You want satellite radio, you need to add a Sat Radio receiver and interface box (~$125.00).

You want AM/FM/HD Radio, you need to add an interface and receiver (~$175.00).

You want it to tie into your OBD-II, you'll need an OBD-II interface (~$50.00).

This list is endless, as is the price tag.

So, the really short answer to "How much does it cost?" is "How much are you willing to spend?"

Last edited by Habious; 03-09-10 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-08-10, 03:07 PM
t119
Rookie

thank you guys so much for the replies.

Habious, Once you have the VaisTech SLU Aux input interface, are you able to control the iPod through the nav screen if you have the CarPC?

A few weeks ago, I was looking at replacing the entire stereo unit to replace it with a double din Kenwood unit. If I went that route, it would be similar to like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypa6ZWpEfrY

The quote to get a unit like that with installation is right above $1000. What I am really looking for is a way to have satellite radio, iPod integration, bluetooth, and possibly a back up camera.

Just in your guy's opinion, which route would you go? The CarPC seems to be amazing, yet the extra touch would be pretty cool.
Old 03-09-10, 06:36 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t119
thank you guys so much for the replies.

Habious, Once you have the VaisTech SLU Aux input interface, are you able to control the iPod through the nav screen if you have the CarPC?

A few weeks ago, I was looking at replacing the entire stereo unit to replace it with a double din Kenwood unit. If I went that route, it would be similar to like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypa6ZWpEfrY

The quote to get a unit like that with installation is right above $1000. What I am really looking for is a way to have satellite radio, iPod integration, bluetooth, and possibly a back up camera.

Just in your guy's opinion, which route would you go? The CarPC seems to be amazing, yet the extra touch would be pretty cool.
I had a typo in my above post...since fixed.

The SLU is for 2002-2004 SC430's. If you have a 2005+ (not sure about 2010 models), you need a different VaisTech interface module.

Assuming we're talking about 2002-2004, all you get with the SLU is 2 AUX inputs. When you're on these inputs, you have no external control...you can't track up/down or anything like that with the controls on the front of the stereo...and the steering wheel buttons (except volume and mode) don't do anything. All controls are done from the device itself.

Centrafuse does support iPods. You simply plug in the iPod to a USB of the PC and it'll switch over (or you can leave the iPod plugged in 24/7, tossing it in the center console or something - and switch to it via one of the on-screen buttons).

The CarPC displays on the touchscreen but, the touchscreen doesn't control the CarPC. I tried (and failed) to get the touchscreen to work with the CarPC. I'm sure it's POSSIBLE but I've yet to find anyone who was able to get this to work (it's fairly easy to get working if the system uses a resistive touchscreen...the SC430 uses a capacitive touchscreen - not so easy to tap into).

I wanted to keep my factory Nav working so I left the original screen in place and use the Space Navigator to control the CarPC. There are some big up-sides to using the Space Navigator (or other controller) over the touchscreen. I don't have to look at the screen to change inputs, change stations, go up/down tracks, etc. In fact, I can have the screen switched over to Navigation, looking at the map, and still control the CarPC simply by "feel" with the ****.

As for the question of "should I get a CarPC or a high-end head-unit?"...that's a tough one to answer.

From what I understand, it's VERY difficult to replace the factory stereo and retain the functionality of the factory Nav system. If that's not a concern then...ok. It was for me.

A CarPC is still VERY-MUCH still at the hobbyest level. If tweaking and tinkering with it is not your idea of good time, you probably shouldn't do it.

It took quite a bit of time and effort but, my CarPC is at a point where it's very reliable. I start the car and it pretty-much "just works". However, that's not ALWAYS the case and it most-likely won't be at first.

If you're the Ron Popeil kinda guy - "Set it and forget it!" - the CarPC isn't for you.

If you want near-infinite power, control, customization, and expandability, the CarPC is the ONLY way to go.

Last edited by Habious; 03-09-10 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Spelt sum werds rong