SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Battery died

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 07:43 AM
arkiebar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery died

The battery died on the sc430 '02, not te first time. This time we put it back on the trickle charger for a few days, and tried to jump start the car, but it won't start it does turn over. Also the instruments don't work, the radio doesn't work, I can't open the trunk to get to the owners manual, another story. Is there anything we can do to get it running to get it to the dealership.

Thank you

Jim
Old 03-10-10, 08:21 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

Can you hot shot it and get it started?
Old 03-10-10, 09:23 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

When my battery died last time I couldn't jump it either, and neither could the AAA guy until they brought out a truck with a much higher power battery. I'd be tempted to just replace the battery (a lot of places will do it at your house for you if you can't do it yourself) and see if your problem goes away.
Old 03-10-10, 09:33 AM
arkiebar
Driver School Candidate

Default battery died

It didn't start with a jump from another car. Whoever put the battery on really tighened the nuts down hard.
Old 03-10-10, 09:37 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

hmm strange just the other day I could not start mine deader than a door nail and I just pulled my wife's Toyota up to the front of it and jumped started it and all is good.
Old 03-10-10, 10:07 AM
Alterious
Driver

what brand are you replacing it with? My stupid Lexus battery i purchased from the dealer is about to go too, some people said to go with duralast and some said optima.
Old 03-10-10, 11:11 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arkiebar
It didn't start with a jump from another car. Whoever put the battery on really tighened the nuts down hard.
That's what I'm saying -- couldn't jump it with my wife's SUV, AAA used a car with a bigger battery/alternator whatever and managed to get it done. Out of curiosity, are you trickle charging with a "battery tender"? If you are, they don't charge dead batteries at all (they need a minimum current to even get started).
Old 03-10-10, 01:07 PM
arkiebar
Driver School Candidate

The battery is a sears. It is the 3rd battery in the car. My ext step would be to gaet a real battery charger, the one that is charging is a trackle maintenance one. I used to have the same battery issues wth an Alfa until my mechanic installed a battery disconnect.

On a side note, how does one get into the trunk non-electrically?
The trunk button doesn't work either.

Thanks, again.

Jim
Old 03-10-10, 01:35 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The emergency trunk release is in the center console - back side - under the very bottom. You have to clear out your stuff in the console and lift up the bottom covering to access it. It's a wire with a loop on the end of it, if I remember correctly.
Old 03-10-10, 01:55 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

sorry to hear about your battery! Optima does make one that fits: 34R

the battery debate has been extensive on CL and there are mainly a couple of batteries that the majority has...

Check out this link you would find with a search:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-2004-a-2.html

Also, the trunk opener switch in the glove box MUST be pushed in to operate the trunk actuator. If the button is sticking out, then it will not work-for both the normal switch and the emergency switch, according to the owner's manual. Make sure you check that.

Good luck
Old 03-10-10, 02:16 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Roofless you do remember correctly!
Old 03-13-10, 02:30 PM
arkiebar
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, The battery is charged, its a Sears DieHard international. Took it into Sears today.

There is no emergency trunk latch in the center counsel nor a button in the glove compartment. Where is the fuse box, because the car will turn over, the lights og on, but the engine won't start, windows won't operate, radio does not turn on, trunk button at lower dash by driver's door doesn't work.
Old 03-13-10, 04:57 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by arkiebar
Hi guys, The battery is charged, its a Sears DieHard international. Took it into Sears today.

There is no emergency trunk latch in the center counsel nor a button in the glove compartment. Where is the fuse box, because the car will turn over, the lights og on, but the engine won't start, windows won't operate, radio does not turn on, trunk button at lower dash by driver's door doesn't work.
No emergency truck latch at the very bottom of the center console? Under the little rubber matt? Green-covered pull handle?

No button in the glove box? Actually outside the glove box but covered by the side edge of the glove box door?

Stupid question...this is an SC430 right? Pretty sure they ALL have these two things, since there's no key slot for the trunk.

Also, I'm not saying you did anything wrong but, there's a thread where someone had similar symptoms to yours...he'd installed a new battery and got the terminals reversed (the new battery wasn't OEM and the terminals on the aftermarket battery are swapped).

check out this thread for symptoms...and possibly a solution (some fusable links under the hood).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ts-at-all.html
Old 03-14-10, 12:08 PM
arkiebar
Driver School Candidate

I found the wire under the felt matt. Went thoough most of the fuses and one of the cartridge fuse seems to be blown, the 120 A that is to the charging system.

Thanks Habious, the link is very sinmilar to my problems. How do you get the cartridgel fuse out?

Thanks to all again.