SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tell me they didn't say that!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 12:23 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tell me they didn't say that!

Was reading the car column Tom and Ray (click & clack) when I came across their opinion. I used to like them. See here:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...bruary/07.html

Specifically, they said:

TOM: Next, I'd eliminate the Lexus SC 430. It's a nice car, but, in my estimation, it's a geezer car. It's rounded and soft. Save that one for 30 years from now, when you're in your end-of-life crisis, not your midlife crisis.

and then I see the JD Powers rates Porshe first and lexus and buick tied for third place. Lincoln is in second place. OK, did I wake up in the twilight zone. My last buick was a 99 regal, which was a very nice car when it wasn't in the shop. I have never had a car as much fun as my sc 430.

Opinions...
Old 03-20-10, 01:34 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's odd how the SC 430 doesn't command the respect it deserves in some circles. I think it's mainly due to the fact that it's been around so long with the same body style. So, it gets a lot of unfair "dissing" because of that.

I dare say that if there was no such thing as the SC 430, and Lexus only recently introduced the car exactly as it is now, I think the "experts" would be singing its praises, just like they did when it first came out. I think things would be totally different. But most aren't going to praise something that's been around 9 years.

If questioned about their choices, I'd like to see how the guys would support their decisions. They really don't make sense and they didn't even do a comparison. They just pronounced the SC out of the running.

Ray's choice was the G37 Infiniti because of its "reliability". Well, nothing is more "reliable" than the SC 430. And as far as the SC being a "geezer" car, that doesn't make sense, either. A lot of people think the G37 and the 430 look a lot the same, yet we're to believe one is totally for old people, while the other is pronounced as a "winner"? And they didn't even discuss overall beauty, styling or luxury. Nothing compares to the SC's interior, IMO.
Old 03-20-10, 05:38 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's just their opinion, and who are they anyway, nvr heard of them. I frankly don't care if anyone likes what I drive, it's me who decides what i drive. Who gives a **** about two losers who prob drive smart cars hehehehehe!!!!! Look at all the people that own sc430's its a real mixture of age, I mean when they first came out older people bought them cuz they had the money now that they are afordable lots of younger people have them. As for the JD Powers ratings i think thats a bunch of crap, I read that its only for the first 3yrs of the cars life that the problems are reported. I think any car even a VW should be fairly trouble free during the first 3 yrs, its after 10yrs that tell the tale whether a car is reliable or not IMO
Old 03-20-10, 07:08 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem, IMO is that no one knows what to compare it to, and the things the SC does best is not part of the class they squeeze it into. Think about it what would you cross shop if you were thinking about an SC. The SL, M6, Ferrari, and Porsche kill it in performance, but don't meet it in luxury. They also cost at least 40,000 more. The rest cost much less, the Miata, 370Z, solstice, Z4, all can be fit in a class, ours stands alone. As the owner of an LS, I can tell you beyond having the same drive train, the cars feel very much the same. So how can a car, which I truly believe is the LS coupe not be great, when the LS430 is recognized by many to be the best car made. The reason is no one knows what to do with an LS Coupe. Sticking an LS into the body of a sports car was a neat trick, and a convertable LS an even better one. Problem is it goes against every measurable critera for a convertable sports car. Sticking our car in the class of its body style, most put the 911 turbo as best in class. I find that car to be cramped, with stiff seats, an unforgivingly rough ride, poor AC, and a bit go cart like. None of these things are thought of when you rate a 911, it is fast, it handles well, and who in would drive such a car across the country anyway.

I think the SC430 is a knock off of an Aston Martin a car I have spent a lot of time in. My friend who owns a DB7 which is about a old as my SC. It is a dead tie on acceleration, has near the quality of the interior, and a very similar ride. The Aston creeks a lot, needs more regular service, but the cars are more similar than different. Problem is Lexus does not have that cred, so my LS coupe sits alone, judged for all the things it does not do, and none of the things it does.
Old 03-20-10, 10:20 PM
flygirl62
Driver School Candidate

I agree, the SC is in a unique class by itself.

It's really difficult to categorize the car. My take on it is, a true Grand Touring car in the classic style, with a flat power curve, good torque and horsepower but very docile and with a smooth idle, quiet and luxurious, good handling and speed but not too twitchy, lots of space inside and and in trunk for those extended trips, long, long legs for relaxed cruising, good aero and stability, and if that wasn't enough, a retractable hardtop. It's designed to transport two people and all their luggage over long distances and over any kind of road and deliver them safely, feeling fresh and ready for whatever is next.

It's the kind of a car that offers everything, but always in the center of the bell curve, not too much one thing or the other, just a lovely mix of all the things a car should be. That makes it a great car to own, but doesn't lend itself well to the superlatives that make automotive journalism what it is.
Old 03-21-10, 09:10 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, there is another article similar to that posted by a car-guru a while ago I think I posted it on here as well taking the boring ride to the extremes like these guys did.

Just like anything, you can over-do it, and their journalism certainly did just that. They probably get super stoked about something they love too, right? They are just passionate journalists...not to defend them, but I can see that through their writing style.

The SC has won so many awards, survived all this time without the tech updates or any significant changes and still turns over very fast on used car lots all around the nation.

Case and point: Sewell Lexus had five, fresh inventory SC's last weekend and I know of three that are gone...one bought from a CL'er too! I'll let them tell their story a little later. We are supposed to be in a recession right? Any you mean to tell me that these, "ugly, out of date, geezer cars" are selling like hotcakes STILL even in these times? Oh, forgot to mention the only 2010 Park Place had, the burgandy one I posted on CL was sold and now they have a white one!
Old 03-21-10, 11:02 AM
Shawn808
Driver

Well the SC430 is definitely not a sports car, the power to weight ratio alone is just too great. Plus you feel the heft when cornering etc. I think my friend defined it best: The SC430 Its a 2 door Lexus LS with a convertible hardtop.