SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

06+ Tail Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 09:50 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 06+ Tail Light Upgrade

Finally took the plunge and have some thoughts/opinions and experiences I thought I'd share.

First of all-I want to thank the pioneers and godfathers of this upgrade WAY back to I believe Nov of 2005 when the 06 tails first came out and PearlPower paved the way for us doing this upgrade. Not sure who was first or what, but certainly TalWang certainly was a big help for all of us too.

So, it's 2010...what NEW can be said about this upgrade?

I believe I am the first Pebble Beach car to do it. Obviously the lights make the car look so much more modern and I love the way the red and white on my black paint looks.

Purchase
www.sewellpartsonline.com is the best place to do it. Put in CLUBLEXUS for the discount code. I paid about $630 or so after local tax, no shipping I picked them up. I opted NOT to get the ECU due to several reasons: # 1 cost...the upgrade is pushing $1k for essentially some tail lights. Most non car geeks or non-SC430 experts would NEVER notice. So...essentially you are paying A LOT of money for the upgrade that not many may notice. Compared to a drop or wheels or iPod or other upgrades, it's impact is minimal.

There is no doubt that the ECU would require quite a bit more work. I actually looked at one at the parts department and all the things you have to unplug from your current ECU, how to get to that, as well as the install/re-install would no doubt double or triple your project time, in addition to nearly double the cost. For these reasons, I decided to roll the dice with the tail lamp out indicator light---at least it's a nice amber color! I am going to read up on putting black tape over it again and see if I can do that. ****Totally recommend the chrome turn signal bulbs!**** I got them on eBay. Thanks for the tip-no amber in the white lens looks much better!!!

Installation
As previously mentioned, waxing and covering painted parts so they slide out and don't scratch are recommended. My tails pulled out super easy, the top parts took 30 seconds to do. BY FAR the hardest part was getting to the wiring harnesses without breaking clips. I broke one, but I made it work.

I'd recommend getting a small LED flashlight and some needlenose pliers to get in between the rear trim by the antenna/gas tank and the rear part to release the old harness. My car has been a southern car only five years old, I can imaging the older the car, perhaps the more colder climate car the more brittle the plastic parts are and/or harder they are to get out.

10mm socket wrench and a flat head screwdriver, flashlight and some cleaner wax are all the tools I used. Very easy upgrade. Thanks again to all who paved the way for this great idea!

Overall Impact and Pics
I'll post before and after, but I think the LEDs certainly make MY SC look more modern. I like the cleaner look and they certainly are sharper lights. I like the way these lights are a little bigger and rounder...from the side view makes the rear look a little more rounded too, which I like. The red on white is great!!! For $600 bucks, I'd say it's a SC must have, along with the wheel upgrade, ipod adapter. I am in the process of getting tanabe springs installed in the next week or so, but a little more cost for this 1" drop. We'll see if it's worth the value for the look. The intake seems to get mixed reviews, but that's next on my list, then luxlink. I still would have to say that the iPod and wheels are the most dramatic change to my SC so far. The DRL's really bothered me, so for $40 that was a great upgrade too!

Enjoy...opinions and thoughts welcome. Before shot, then after with lights off, then upclose and lights on.
Attached Thumbnails 06+ Tail Light Upgrade-myscadr3.jpg   06+ Tail Light Upgrade-tail1.jpg   06+ Tail Light Upgrade-tail2.jpg   06+ Tail Light Upgrade-tail3.jpg  
Old 03-21-10, 10:23 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

The ECU only added about 10 minutes to the total install time. All of the connectors are modular plugs and there are two screws to get it off the deck. After the dashboard light bugs you enough, I'll bet you'll want to change it out too.

Nice upgrade for a quality car. Nice write up too.
Old 03-21-10, 11:07 AM
scdroptop

Bob-thanks.

Everything for me takes longer...I read the write up on installing it, looked at the unit in the parts dept. and just decided it was a little much for me to do. I'm definitely not as skilled as you, looking at your upgrades you have done and your expertise in technical knowledge. For me, a great DIY is the a/c cabin filter! LOL You are probably right about the light but for now I am thinking positive thoughts that it won't bother me and it's a new feature that shoes the lights on my car in a pretty amber color!

I saw four screws on the one he showed me and about a dozen little circuits and fuses to unplug and I questioned my own ability to get to it, so I chickened out.
Old 03-21-10, 05:44 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your tails look awesome nice upgrade. I agree with you about the DLR's what kind of bulbs did you change too.
Old 03-21-10, 06:40 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SCdroptop-- your SC makes me jealous. haha. Very nice. The 06+ tails is the next upgrade for me as well. Great job!
Old 03-21-10, 08:53 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by scrdstr
Your tails look awesome nice upgrade. I agree with you about the DLR's what kind of bulbs did you change too.
I got the tip from someone on CL (sorry I couldn't remember, but thanks!!!)...here is the link to the chrome bulbs. The blinkers are completely white until you turn them on, then you have the amber color blinking. Very cool!! I love the little things about this car and the little details that make upgrading it so nice---like the nav welcome screen turn off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-22-10, 04:46 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice!
Old 03-22-10, 07:22 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice upgrade, scdroptop
What does the ECU have to do with the tail lights upgrade? Pls explain...
Old 03-22-10, 08:15 AM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scorpio74
Very nice upgrade, scdroptop
What does the ECU have to do with the tail lights upgrade? Pls explain...
If you don't upgrade the ECU, the dash will tell you that your taillights are out.
Old 03-22-10, 09:13 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Derek that's the beauty of the modular connectors...yes there's a handful but they really only fit in one spot on the ECU between shape and cable length.

The "big deal" is getting those damn specially colored gray clips out trim pieces without breaking them. The best way I found is to slip a ¼ inch flat blade screwdriver into the head "slot" and then pop is straight back, rather then trying to "slip" it under head and "pry" up. And there's no need to change the fuses or relays...they come with the unit...it really is "plug and play".

Anyway, the tails still look sweet. And thanks to you I am spending "mo money" on my SC. I ordered some chrome bulbs too. I tried a few LEDs and was not please with brightness so now I'll give the chrome bulbs a try. If nothing else it will give it an even better look. Thanks for the link.
Bob
Old 03-22-10, 10:19 AM
diablo360
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daryltrinh
If you don't upgrade the ECU, the dash will tell you that your taillights are out.
When I did the 06+ upgrade I used black electrical tape to cover up the error light. The post is on here somewhere.... The install is a cinch, and i'm no expert when it comes to fixing stuff on cars. It took me about 20 minutes and I didn't even come close to breaking anything. This is a cheap (almost free) and effective solution to the error light. Way better than spending a few hundred bucks on an ecu......
Old 03-22-10, 10:30 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The MSRP of the OEM ECU is $654.30.
Since the price of ECU has increased quite a bit, probably not worth spending that much now.

Another option will be these control modules below from Brand-H Japan, but they will still cost you like $350.

Last edited by talwang; 03-22-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 10:46 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great!
Old 03-22-10, 12:18 PM
mrbryan
Rookie

very nice. i love the updated tails.
Old 03-22-10, 05:20 PM
azkaty