SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

6x9 Replacements (Eclipse)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 02:20 AM
buck430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 6x9 Replacements (Eclipse)

I saw these 6x9 Eclipse component drivers on Sonic Electronix. I know they are not 8ohm but the ML crossover may compensate for that. High quality driver plus you may be able to use the tweeter as a replacement for the factory. I'm waiting on mine to come in I'll keep you posted.

Next I'll try to find and test a direct replacement for the tweeter and midrange fronts.

Remember, Topdown - Buck430

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9487_Eclipse+SC6900.html[/URL]tronix.com/item_9487_Eclipse+SC6900.html
Old 03-25-10, 08:57 AM
xenonrider
Driver School Candidate

unfortunately, your ML crossover will not be able to 'compensate'. you can't run 4 ohm speakers unless you change ALL the speakers to 4 ohm: otherwise, those 4 ohm speakers will be A LOT louder and run the amp hotter (someone here can probably give you better technical details). It won't sound very good either as the 6x9's will over power the other speakers....
Old 03-25-10, 10:42 AM
petasheep
Rookie

Xenonrider is correct, ohms is a measurement of impedance or 'resistance'. By going 4 ohms rather than 8 your speakers will have less resistance for current and your amp is going to work much harder than it rated to work.. long story short your amp is going to overheat.

You will not be able to find 8 ohm car speakers (minus subwoofers).. 8 ohm speakers are more for home audio. Being that 6x9 is a car specific size designed to fit in weird shaped places, your best bet would be to find a 8ohm circular replacement and fabricate a adapter plate like some poeple have done. (Circular speakers perform much better due to geomtry)

Otherwise if you're dead set on getting those Eclipse speakers and trying them.. be prepared for your amp to eventually fail. in that case get a replacement 4CH amp and new rear speakers and bypass the entire stock system like i did =).
Old 03-25-10, 11:22 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm wondering why you think the ML crossover will "compensate". If the crossover is designed to filter 3.3Khz at the woofer (the 6X9) with an 8 ohm speaker, then dropping in a 4 ohm speaker will filter out above 6.6Khz (so it doubles the crossover point) which, if you keep all the other speakers at 8 ohms, sound muddy by having too much upper mids and harsh highs. Plus you want the speaker to compliment each other in other ways, such as in sensitivity (SPL matching). If the ML amp is decent (I doubt it is, given that the speakers suck) then it could handle a lower ohm speaker (many decent aftermarket car amps can handle down to even 2 ohms)
Old 03-26-10, 06:18 AM
buck430
Driver School Candidate

Talking Same brand, amp upgrade!!

The 6x9's are still a buy. Keep looking through Sonicelectronix, Eclipse makes a 3 way with a dome mid and tweeter. I know it won't be stock but Eclipse is not a brand that make audio speakers to sound bad.

Change the amp, change the speakers with the Eclipse 6x9 and the Eclipse SC8365 component set. No amp matching problem and I do know for a fact better sound than the paper ML speakers.
Old 03-26-10, 10:15 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buck430
The 6x9's are still a buy. Keep looking through Sonicelectronix, Eclipse makes a 3 way with a dome mid and tweeter. I know it won't be stock but Eclipse is not a brand that make audio speakers to sound bad.

Change the amp, change the speakers with the Eclipse 6x9 and the Eclipse SC8365 component set. No amp matching problem and I do know for a fact better sound than the paper ML speakers.
Oh, I can say that Eclipse makes good products, and the quality of the speakers looks better than the cheaply made MLs. That i completely agree with you. But just saying one still needs to make sure it all integrates properly IF one decides to simply replace just the 6X9. ML makes top notch home audio amplifiers! So it's easy to see, yet at the same time very sad to also see that so many people are fooled into believing these ML speakers are worth the cost (not even at a 1/3 the cost).
Old 04-11-10, 06:20 AM
bobcat1
Driver School Candidate

Default SC430 best 6X9 replacement speakers

I searched hi and low for some decent replacements that could handle the pathetic volume issue of the ML's. As you all know there are almost no 8 ohm car speakers available.... well, I found some!! They're made by DC Gold. Do a search on the web and you will find several places, but shop around, as prices vary. They're actually designed for marine (boating), so a bonus for us drop top owners, as they will handle the elements better.

I was less than thrilled with the lack of volume the ML's could handle, but the DC Gold's are awsome! Rated for 80W. What a difference! Now I can be on the highway and next to a semi and hear my music.

Next, the install... they fit! RAH! I was afraid that they would be too deep, and the window wouldn't go down, but with the bracket from the ML's they're perfect. I'm not an expert installer by any means, and it took about three hours to do both fronts. I chose the N69R, these are the reference models. They also make a classic model (a little cheaper). Yes, they're not cheap-- $287, but they sound incredible. Check out their website to read up on then.

One note, on the install, you will need to use the mounting adapter that the ML's are screwed into. Peal the foam surround back from the 4 corners, and get an allen wrench to unscrew them... then take a flat head screw driver and loosen the speakers from the bracket (a little bit all the way around the edge, so you don't force/break them). To put the new speakers in the brackets, you have two options... drill the hole a bit wider in the DC Golds, or angle the screws in a bit all the way around.

I re-used the wire clips, and made an extension for the one side as the clips are on each side of the magnet... not a big deal. You can wedge the wire into the clip, then add a little solder to keep in in place.

I thought about replacing the rears too, but this has been more than adequite, and I'm a happy camper!!

There's a posting out here that shows how to take the door panels off-- and excellent write up.

More later if anyone is interested, or needs pics, let me know.

(Pics and additional notes added to other thread "Mark Levinson sound system")

Last edited by bobcat1; 04-15-10 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added pics / notes