SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

new paint job

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 12:26 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new paint job

Sometime in the future I'm planning on having my paint redone to take care of hairline scratches from yearly wear and tear.

Anyone have an estimate on how much this would cost? 5k?

its blue paint :O
Old 03-31-10, 12:28 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430guy
Sometime in the future I'm planning on having my paint redone to take care of hairline scratches from yearly wear and tear.

Anyone have an estimate on how much this would cost? 5k?

its blue paint :O
if you have hairline scratches, i would have it professionally detailed. about $200 and they'll probably get them out. it really wouldn't be worth repainting your car.
Old 03-31-10, 01:34 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus paint is pretty soft typical of Japanese cars as its water based. Buy a dual action polisher like the Meguiers g220 or a porter cable and those scratches will come out in just a couple of passes.

You be nuts to have it resprayed, will never be as good as the original paint.
Old 03-31-10, 04:58 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you do decide to get a repaint you may want to have it done where you can get the latest Toyota/Lexus self-healing clear coat. This is a quote from a auto refinishing article:
"AkzoNobel Car Refinishes has received approval from Toyota Motors for global use of Sikkens Autoclear LV Exclusive, its scratch resistant, self-healing clear coat. Lexus recently adopted a newly developed OEM clearcoat for its LS models. The clearcoat features two-component cross-linking urethane with a softer, finer and more flexible structure to provide better protection against chipping and to make repairs easier. Sikkens Autoclear LV Exclusive will be used to repair Lexus automobiles at Toyota dealerships and Toyota-affiliated collision repair facilities all around the world in order to maintain the characteristics of this new production clearcoat."

They go on:
"Sikkens Autoclear LV Exclusive is highly resistant to scratches, and holds up extremely well after repeated washings, but it truly differentiates itself from other clearcoats with its outstanding self-healing characteristics when a vehicle is nonetheless damaged. With extraordinary “re-flow” properties designed into the coating, small scratches virtually disappear in minutes when exposed to a heat source at temperatures ranging from 40-80 degrees celsius--and even exposure to the sun will initiate the healing process."

Since the clear coat is your paint's first line of defense it seems like a great idea. I called my local Toyota/Lexus collision center and they said that they are using it. They estimated that a same-color repaint with the self-healing clear coat would be around $2K+ depending on repair time for road rash, door dings and the like. I'm in the Midwest so your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Bon; 03-31-10 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 03-31-10, 09:17 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Bon-great post. My 09 FX35 has that technology too and I have to say, one year into it with a black exterior I have very very very few hairline scratches compared to other black cars I have owned and I take the FX35 (daily beater...lease) through the free infiniti car wash which is NOT touchless.

That would be great if you could get that paint!!!

I would like to have mine done too sometime...black shows everything!!! The more waxing and clay bar I do...the more I find!
Old 04-01-10, 01:55 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Lexus paint is pretty soft typical of Japanese cars as its water based. Buy a dual action polisher like the Meguiers g220 or a porter cable and those scratches will come out in just a couple of passes.

You be nuts to have it resprayed, will never be as good as the original paint.
, could not agree more
Old 04-01-10, 05:20 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would love to see an SC in that blue they use on the ISF
Old 04-03-10, 05:40 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I would love to see an SC in that blue they use on the ISF
Is this one close enough?

Old 04-26-10, 10:05 AM
bobcat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Paint repair

I have to say that a paint job is never quite the same as factory. I had a run in with a deer last October, and it landed on the hood-- making a considerable dent. I needed a new hood, bumper, headlamp, etc.

The insurance company covered everything, and I went through the recommended Lexus body shop. Upon picking up my car on an overcast day, I didn't see any issues, however once the sun came out, the paint application looked like a mix of silver and grey clouds. I returned it to have it re-done, and the 2nd time was better. Still not perfect. The color is right on, but it still looks cloudy/hazy. I'm REALLY disappointed in it, as yes, I am critical. The hood is such a large smooth surface area, that any flaws stick out really bad.

Additionally, the paint on the bumper is not holding up either. Within 6 months of minimal driving (~ 2500 miles), there are about 15 tiny chips the size of bb's. I'm ready to take it in again, but to another place. I've heard that Silver paint is a pain to do, so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or not.
Attached Thumbnails new paint job-hood2.jpg  
Old 04-26-10, 02:24 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Additionally, the paint on the bumper is not holding up either. Within 6 months of minimal driving (~ 2500 miles), there are about 15 tiny chips the size of bb's. I'm ready to take it in again, but to another place. I've heard that Silver paint is a pain to do, so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time or not.
It doesn't matter where you take it. The paint is going to be thinner than factory paint. They put something like 16 coats on at the factory. Any body shop is only doing 2-3 tops.

About the only thing you can do to prevent rock chips is take it to have an "invisible bra" installed after it's painted. Basically, it's clear plastic film. If you do it, I would suggest letting the car sit and cure for a month or so after it's painted (if it's a second car). And tell them it has been repainted when you take it in. The film can lift the paint off when they try to position it if they're not careful.
Old 04-26-10, 09:08 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The color is right on, but it still looks cloudy/hazy.
bobcat1 you should goto a detailer. I would wet sand that and machine polish it.
Old 04-28-10, 07:01 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The detailing may not help because it happened during painting its called motting it happens when you spray metalic paint it's the way it flows
Old 05-03-10, 05:44 PM
bobcat1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I took it to a body shop (or back to the one that did the work) and told them to put multiple coats on until it looked flawless, would they look at my like I had three heads? Can they even do multiple coats? My mind is now clicking away inside thinking that I maybe could work something out with the body shop who did the initial work.

P.S. Thanks for the bumper bra suggestion.
Old 05-03-10, 07:03 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobcat1
So if I took it to a body shop (or back to the one that did the work) and told them to put multiple coats on until it looked flawless, would they look at my like I had three heads? Can they even do multiple coats? My mind is now clicking away inside thinking that I maybe could work something out with the body shop who did the initial work.

P.S. Thanks for the bumper bra suggestion.
The paint shop you choose is the key. Before you have them do work you should inspect the cars in the shop. Look at their work. Do they have high end cars in the lot? Pearl is very difficult to match but a good paint shop should be able to match it well. I would have taken the car back right after I noticed it wasnt right. Its not the end of the world. You live and you learn.. Try getting a buff as previously stated and if that doesnt work. Go to another paint shop. GL