SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Strut Issue/Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-10, 08:49 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default SC430 Strut Issue/Spring Install

Last weekend I tried installing some Tein springs thinking it would be no big deal as I've done springs before. Upon disassembly, I came across something wierd that stopped me in my tracks. I started on the passenger front, removed strut/spring assembly, then removed tophat. When I went to install the new spring, I couldn't get the strut to come up far enough for me to re-install the top hat.

I had spring compressors on both side of the spring, both maxxed out pretty much, and still the strut wouldn't come up far enough. On the last set I did (subaru), I could just pull up on the strut piston and it would stay up, allowing me to assemble easily with no need for spring compressors. I tried pulling up on the piston, which gave me about 1.5-2" of height, but if I let go it would retract immediately. Anyways after a couple hours and some internet searching, I gave up and tried to put the stock spring back on. This ended up being even harder because the stock spring is taller than the Tein one.

What I ended up doing was using a crescent wrench to pry the strut piston up, using the spring as a leverage point, so that someone else could re-attach the top hat for me. It was pretty difficult but I got it back together eventually.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else has seen a strut act like this, and if I were to attempt it again, what can I do to make it easier. I'm considering just taking it to the dealership and paying them 135/hr to do it.

Thanks
Old 04-08-10, 12:31 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have seen my mechanic done it twice on my sc.
It seemed pretty straightforward.
Compress the spring first and then remove the lock nut, top mount and insulator.
Maybe he used an air tool to make the the job easier?
Old 04-08-10, 01:05 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

I did have the spring compressed while disassembling, that part was easy. I also was using air tools to take the lock nut off. It wasn't the tools that were the issue, it was the strut itself. Logic would have me believe that a strut would naturally push outwards to dampen any forces, but this one 'sucked in' instead. So weird, maybe the strut is blown or something?

Thanks for the response though, any input is appreciated.
Old 04-08-10, 01:19 PM
talwang

you mean the shock absorber rod ?
Maybe you can put back the top mount first without spring and pull it up to extend the rod more.
Old 04-08-10, 01:36 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Yeah the absorber rod, or piston as I called it earlier. I actually tried putting the top hat on and pulling it out like you suggest, but as soon as I took it off to put the spring in, it'd retract before I had a chance to get it all together haha. I seriously thought it was messing with me on purpose.....I threw a wrench and lost it in the grass lol
Old 04-08-10, 02:01 PM
talwang

haha.. stupid me, it would go back in once the top piece is removed.

I honestly didn't see my mechanic had problem with the piston part as I was right beside him the whole time while he was installing them.
He told me that removing the trunk interior tirm was more difficult than springs.

You can wait for our moderator Pearlpower to chime in, he can definitely help you.
Old 04-08-10, 02:23 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Well thanks anyways, if anything I just want to find out if I'm stupid or not lol. I may just give in and take it to a mechanic, but it'd be nice to know how to do it myself, and perhaps this thread could be a valuable resource for anyone down the road that wants to do the springs.
Old 04-08-10, 05:51 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
I threw a wrench and lost it in the grass lol
LOL....you'll find it when you mow.
Old 04-08-10, 10:20 PM
Tyke
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ur strut may be blown. a strut is suppossed to be extended (not compressed) when there is no load. So the strut piston should naturally go all the way up on its own, never down.

Im going to be doing my springs install tomorrow...will be using GS400 Bilstein in the front, with S tech teins. Ill let you know how it goes.

By the way, the Bilstein struts I got are super strong, I cant event compress them myself (as oppossed to OEM struts which give in with some pressure). And they are all the way out.
Old 04-09-10, 07:24 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tyke
Ur strut may be blown. a strut is suppossed to be extended (not compressed) when there is no load. So the strut piston should naturally go all the way up on its own, never down.

Im going to be doing my springs install tomorrow...will be using GS400 Bilstein in the front, with S tech teins. Ill let you know how it goes.

By the way, the Bilstein struts I got are super strong, I cant event compress them myself (as oppossed to OEM struts which give in with some pressure). And they are all the way out.
Damn, if that's the case I should've just got coilovers I hope your install goes well, would be good to know how your struts behave. Anyone want to buy some tein s-techs? Lol

I'm going to go look for that wrench now, good point about the lawnmower
Old 04-09-10, 07:35 AM
Tyke
Driver

COil overs are always better but the price difference is huge.
Even with me getting the 2 front bilstein shocks my total was about $450

Coil overs is like 4 times this!

But if you want to spend the money, by all means coil overs are always the best route.
Old 04-09-10, 12:10 PM
Tyke
Driver

update on my install..

just finished front-left spring install, no issues, very straightfoward....its ur strut which is gone...you should get some bilstein they are 100 bucks each
Old 04-09-10, 02:05 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
Damn, if that's the case I should've just got coilovers I hope your install goes well, would be good to know how your struts behave. Anyone want to buy some tein s-techs? Lol

I'm going to go look for that wrench now, good point about the lawnmower
I went from lowering springs to coilovers, so I can tell you from my experience that coilovers are the best way to go.
Do it right the first time.
Old 04-09-10, 02:06 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by Tyke
update on my install..

just finished front-left spring install, no issues, very straightfoward....its ur strut which is gone...you should get some bilstein they are 100 bucks each
so they are blown afterall?
I ruled that out and thought his shocks were still in good shape since he didn't mention if the ride quality had deteriorated or a noticible difference in ride height.
Old 04-09-10, 05:03 PM
Tyke
Driver

Originally Posted by talwang
so they are blown afterall?
I ruled that out and thought his shocks were still in good shape since he didn't mention if the ride quality had deteriorated or a noticible difference in ride height.
Yep..shocks always extend completely out by themselves with no load. If you get a shock and press it down and it stays down its gone

BTW the rear shocks were a pain in the ***! You have to take so many htings appart its not even funny....the whole trunk, the wheel liner, stabilizer bar, lower control arm bolt, etc. Total pain in the butt.

Quick Reply: SC430 Strut Issue/Spring Install