SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Mod ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 12:32 AM
aussie1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mod ideas

Six months ago I sold my LS so I could buy an SC Now time for the mods.

If you wonderful people could tell me if you have done any of the following, and where I may purchase.

Header's and then what type of exhaust system to go with,

Rear Camera

Cold air/ induction system.

Also has anyone removed the rear seat? I'm a bit tall, seams like my seat could still go back a bit.

and lastly spark plugs?

and pretty much anything but a super charger that will pep it up.

I'm very glad to have my Sc and join the crew!
Old 04-11-10, 06:33 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's quite a list! I can't speak for anything except the spark plugs. In my experience, the NGK Spark Plugs have been great. Used them on my LS430 and could really tell the difference. For Cold air I would go with Injen, but if you wanna go cheaper you could go with Weapon-R. That's my two cents! Good luck; post pics when you've modded a little. would love to see the progress!
Old 04-11-10, 10:14 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

personally, i would start with wheels and coilovers if you haven't already done that. there isn't much available as far as performance mods unless you want to shell out some serious money. but headers and exhaust will give you a little more power. most people get blitz or else have a custom exhaust built. if you use the search button, you'll find a few threads. i don't think removing the back seat will gain you anything. the seat will still stop where the bracket is set. from what i've read, the cold air intake doesn't do anything except change the sound of the exhaust. for the rear camera, do a search and you'll find what you're looking for. one other thing you might be interested in is the blitz throttle control. it doesn't make your car any faster, but you can control the sensitivity of the throttle, so it feels faster.
Old 04-11-10, 07:56 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you come from a 98' Gs400 with 400Hp, so you are the one who should give us some advice, not the other way around.
Old 04-11-10, 08:04 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

My first initial response to anyone buying an older car and wanting to mod it is to get it BACK to original spec or better by doing ALL regular maintenance items, perhaps upgrading some of them in the process...this includes: Fluids, filters, plugs, etc etc.

Do a complete flush and fill of everything, plugs etc. Think about Amsoil and/or Redline synthetics for fluids (make sure Transmission is Toyota Type IV compatible) Drive it with PWR button with VSC off and in manual mode and see what you think after the regular maintenance. I would definitely do the fuel induction cleaning/fuel injector cleaning.

After that you can "guage" how much money you want to invest. Do some searches...each of the mods I list below have been talked about. Unfortunately, for the SC there is no magic "chip" that you can pop in the ECU to give it 100hp gain.

Here is my pecking order of importance for mods based on the two SC's I've owned:

1) Wheels and tires. Go 20", staggered...more closed face unless you do brakes
2) iPod Adapter-Vais Tech SL2-aux input to add your ipod.
3) Drop it -Tanabe or Tein coilovers or just springs..if your car has higher miles, you might as well do it all...otherwise you will just end up there again perhaps quicker by just doing springs
4) 2006+ rear tail lights...fairly easy mod...www.sewellpartsonline.com type "clublexus" for discount. Roughtly $600 without ECU if you can live with the lamps out amber bulb on the dash OR $1000 for the kit with the ECU to make that lamps out bulb go off.
5) Spark Plugs-on a 2003...absolutely. NGK Probably feel it more than the intake.
6) Daytime running light mod-replace yellowish DRL's with LED's! 68smg on eBay
7) Intake-injen...buy it on eBay or Luxury Motor Works
8) Blitz Throttle Controller
9) Upgraded brakes, pads, rotors...nice colored calipers in red or blue
10) Front and rear strut tower braces
11) Exhaust-several brands out there
12) Lux Link-remote start, rear window and top modification
13) Body Kit-check the sticky body kit post we have...TONS of great ones.
14) LED lights to replace interior, fog lights, 68 wedge bulb in headlight, plates, etc.

Hopefully before you get to the top ten list, you'll find some regular maint items that will just simply make your car run better, stop better, accelerate better before you even get into all this.
Old 04-11-10, 09:40 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Which NGK plugs do you recommend?
Old 04-11-10, 09:52 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

NGK 7092 G-Power are the newest and best value for the platinum. I have heard mixed reviews of the Iridium and Iridium IX plugs. I put some iridiums in my 300ZX twin turbo years ago and liked them. I'm about to put them in my 2005 even though I only have 36k and I know it's totally unnecessary, I am looking for any gains.

go to www.ngk.com
Old 04-12-10, 03:46 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep in mind, that Iridium is what comes stock in these cars. I made the mistake of buying platinum ngk's and taking the stock plugs out to find they were Iridium.