SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Opinions on $550 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 05:46 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Opinions on $550 Turbo Kit

My mechanic is willing to give it a try. Any Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-22-10, 05:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good Luck, the costs will easly come out at 4 times or more of the initial cost, looks like there's no DP, you have to get it tuned, what about injectors? I personally won't use a cheap turbo or wastegate. Manifolds are ok just check for slag and make sure you get it braced.
Old 04-23-10, 05:25 PM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re:turbo

Kaiser, don't do it!!!!
Those kits are cheap, inferior parts and low quality. I've had turbo cars in the past (still have my G35 twin turbo pushing @510 whp at 15psi) they were / are fun but very costly. You're looking at a complete turbo kit for $550 or b.o? A good turbo such as Garrett ball bearing would cost at least $1200 for their smallest ones like .54 housing etc...
Our cars have no room for turbo unless you hAve $20+k to play with. Tcperformance has a custom built kit without FMIC, no computer, no upgrade fuel injectors, no BOv etc... Just their custom manifolds, Some pipings with two turbos and cost almost $8k. Turbo = $$. My sc430 project is coming along... Fully built motor is installed and waiting for the breaking period to be over before installing my USED LMS super charger kit ($close to $4k) yes used!! Please do not do it. Unless you do it right K. Again, our cars are not known for speed. It's a luxury coupe with class. Do not treat it as if it were a cheap Honda Civic coupe. That's my two cents. Please do not get offended. Take care Ned
Old 04-23-10, 06:43 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned Vo
Kaiser, don't do it!!!!
Those kits are cheap, inferior parts and low quality. I've had turbo cars in the past (still have my G35 twin turbo pushing @510 whp at 15psi) they were / are fun but very costly. You're looking at a complete turbo kit for $550 or b.o? A good turbo such as Garrett ball bearing would cost at least $1200 for their smallest ones like .54 housing etc...
Our cars have no room for turbo unless you hAve $20+k to play with. Tcperformance has a custom built kit without FMIC, no computer, no upgrade fuel injectors, no BOv etc... Just their custom manifolds, Some pipings with two turbos and cost almost $8k. Turbo = $$. My sc430 project is coming along... Fully built motor is installed and waiting for the breaking period to be over before installing my USED LMS super charger kit ($close to $4k) yes used!! Please do not do it. Unless you do it right K. Again, our cars are not known for speed. It's a luxury coupe with class. Do not treat it as if it were a cheap Honda Civic coupe. That's my two cents. Please do not get offended. Take care Ned
Thanks for the advice, I think based on what I am hearing, I am priced out of this upgrade. I rather spend 13K on a used TT Rx7 than put 10K into my SC. The stock power is fine for me, but since I have a friend who would install for free, I figured putting a couple of grand in would be okay. It is great that people like you and Cherplex are on the board and have the experience to share.
Old 04-23-10, 06:43 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned Vo
Kaiser, don't do it!!!!

good answer
Old 04-23-10, 09:21 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^x2 agree
Even if those parts work (I doubt), You will spend lots more on all the missing stuff! get a good kit. Bws362-372/good cast manifold=1800$ all the other stuff 1000$ Fuel mgmt/sys 1000$......3800$ will give you enough to break your clutch/trans....

EXTRA PARTS SUCH AS MANIFOLD IS REQUIRED. READ NOTES BELOW THOROUGHLY!!

NOTE :

* Not all parts are bolt-on. Universal piping kit will need to be custom modified at an exhaust shop to adjust for the correct bends. *

* Requires a down pipe which needs to be connected to existing exhaust. A custom adapter needs to be fabricated from a place such as an exhaust shop. *

* Other parts you need or should get is Turbo Manifold, Boost Controller, Turbo Timer, and Engine/Fuel Management System. *