SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bogus or Legit? Dealer says Luxlink causing my electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 09:19 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Well that's very disappointing news about the end of LuxLink. I too was going to purchase one later this year for my 02 SC that I bought last September. Guess the ol saying is true, snooze you loose.
Old 05-09-10, 11:05 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Couple PM asked for an update, so here's the latest.

My SC is still at the dealership. I think the dealer's strategy is to keep it for so long (it has been two weeks now) that I'll be desperate to get it back and accept almost anything. It's a pretty good strategy because the weather has finally turned nice here and I really want it back. The only redeeming thing is that they gave me a brand new ES350 to drive (100 miles on it when I drove off).

The latest is that they say they have gotten it back to "normal" after making it much worse. They claim they are going to talk to Steve and try to get the LuxLink working.

I'll post an update when I hear more.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-13-10 at 09:04 AM. Reason: please read forum rules regarding GB's
Old 05-15-10, 01:03 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Default Laughing to keep from crying

So I pick up the SC after three weeks at the dealer. The dealer has removed the LuxLink box to send it back to Steve, who has agreed to test it. The service writer tells me that the car is back to OEM. He also says there will be no charge. So far, so good.

I pickup the car. The problems that I took it in for three weeks ago (no horn, no steering controls for audio) still broken, just like they were three weeks ago. And now, the nav does not work.

Weirdly, the info and telephone work on the display screen. My backup cam works just fine. There is just no display when in nav mode. Not sure what sense that makes.

I'm starting to think they are never going to get this right. <sigh>
Old 05-15-10, 01:08 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I pickup the car. The problems that I took it in for three weeks ago (no horn, no steering controls for audio) still broken, just like they were three weeks ago. And now, the nav does not work.
Unbelievable. I guess in their relentless pursuit of perfection, they forgot what you brought it in for. They didn't even honk the horn. Sad..

Looks like it's back to the loaner for you! My question is.....why did it take them 3 weeks to essentially do nothing? What were they doing in all that time?
Old 05-15-10, 01:38 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

iT sounds like to me that in there repair or rather removal of what ever they could blame They left something amiss. In order to remove the luxlink there are really very fiew wires. The harness it self could of stayed in place and they could of just unplugged the black lux link box . There is also the hidden key box. The fact that the nav is not wroking leeds me to believe they must of disconected the nav tool which allows interface of the navigation so you can use a back up camera. I would take the car back in and DEMAND they really service the car. You know why it was no charge because they did not fix anything they just blamed the lux link . Did they give you back the harness as well as both of the boxs lux link and the hidden key. Its a shame you let them remove your parts. THey did not find the problem and just created new problems . Its not my car and I am mad as hell. Johnny you need to get a really good lexus tech. One that can speak to steve perhaps or else make them aware of the nav tool interface. Your problem may just be something very simple but could be two problems wreaking havoc because no one knows what there doing

Keep me posted

Buddy

Do they even know that there is a back up camera ? Do you know where the installer located the nav tool.

Last edited by mrblister; 05-15-10 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 02:49 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The NavTool is in the trunk...the LuxLink is up under the steering wheel. They should be COMPLETELY unrelated.

I know about the NavTool install on his car; I did it.

Tom,

When you have the Nav where it should be up and running, have you tried pressing one of the "hard" buttons (like the "Map/Destination" button)?

If the navigation system is reset (battery disconnected, which they probably did if they were messing around with the steering wheel/airbag), the Nav won't automatically come up...you have to press the Map/Destination button to "start" it.

We ran into this during the NavTool installation, not sure if you remember.
Old 05-15-10, 04:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Now that you mention it, I do remember that. So with great anticipation (especially since I'm driving to Dover tomorrow), I went down to the car and tried pressing Map, Destination, and Menu. No improvement.

Here's the sequence: Power up. Lexus Logo Screen. Then blank screen, with a little bit of interference running across (not just dead). Few seconds later "Bluetooth connection successful."

Again, no change with map, destination or menu pressed. Even tried pressing and holding.

Pressing the Info or Display buttons work just fine and bring up the appropriate screen.

Shifting into reverse brings up the rear view camera.

Does this suggest anything (other than the dealer has royally messed up my ride)?
Old 05-15-10, 06:00 PM
Habious
Pole Position

When you touch the screen, or press the map button...do you get the "deet", "deet" sounds? Like it's working but no screen activity? Or is the unit totally dead and non-responsive?
Old 05-15-10, 06:06 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Habious
When you touch the screen, or press the map button...do you get the "deet", "deet" sounds? Like it's working but no screen activity? Or is the unit totally dead and non-responsive?
Deet Deet Sob
(the last part is me)

Plus there is a bit of wavyness on the screen.
Old 05-15-10, 06:11 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Deet Deet Sob
(the last part is me)

Plus there is a bit of wavyness on the screen.
Almost sounds like the NavTool got switched to the secondary video input (which you're not using) but, the switch for that is under the trunk flooring...no way for it to get switched "accidentally"...and no easy way for you to just try it...got take the toolkit out and the trunk floor up.

The wavvyness is video noise from the NavTool. Mine has the same thing sometimes. Only way to see it is if there's nothing on the screen.
Old 05-15-10, 06:23 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Almost sounds like the NavTool got switched to the secondary video input (which you're not using) but, the switch for that is under the trunk flooring...no way for it to get switched "accidentally"...and no easy way for you to just try it...got take the toolkit out and the trunk floor up.

The wavvyness is video noise from the NavTool. Mine has the same thing sometimes. Only way to see it is if there's nothing on the screen.
I think I see what you are saying. The connection between the screen and the NavTool is good because it is getting the backup cam input. When switched to the "normal" input, it is just getting noise, which could be from the NavTool set for secondary input (which has no signal) rather than having the Nav signal pass through. Is that about right?

If the NavTool was set correctly, but the Nav unit itself was not producing any video (e.g. DVD unit dead), would that have the same symptoms?
Old 05-15-10, 06:29 PM
Habious
Pole Position

I think I see what you are saying. The connection between the screen and the NavTool is good because it is getting the backup cam input. When switched to the "normal" input, it is just getting noise, which could be from the NavTool set for secondary input (which has no signal) rather than having the Nav signal pass through. Is that about right?

If the NavTool was set correctly, but the Nav unit itself was not producing any video (e.g. DVD unit dead), would that have the same symptoms?
Yes, it COULD...but it seems a bit strange that the nav system could go "dead"...but just the video.

Any chance you have time to swing by my house some time this weekend? I could get access to the switch in about 4 minutes and we could find out.
Old 05-15-10, 06:33 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Any chance you have time to swing by my house some time this weekend? I could get access to the switch in about 4 minutes and we could find out.
I'm running the Delaware Half Marathon in the morning and then going to the NASCAR Race at Dover in the afternoon, but could be at your place (new place?) around 6, give or take -- does that work for you? (And thanks)

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 05-16-10 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 06:44 PM
Habious
Pole Position

I'm running the Delaware Marathon in the morning and then going to the NASCAR Race at Dover in the afternoon, but could be at your place (new place?) around 6, give or take -- does that work for you? (And thanks)
And I thought MY weekends were busy...

Sure...I'll PM you my address; you can just punch it into your Nav...

Oh, wait!
Old 05-15-10, 06:54 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi johnny and Tom If i were closer I would of liked to lend a hand this weekend .. If you have no luck I might be available next weekend .

Let me know. I am betting its something simple

Buddy

Quick Reply: Bogus or Legit? Dealer says Luxlink causing my electrical problems