SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Gas will not fill up at the pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 10:13 PM
ed lee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas will not fill up at the pump

I've had this problem for about 1.5 yrs now. When filling up the pump stops prematurely. I plan on bringing to dealer under warranty.
Old 04-28-10, 10:43 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Happens to me a lot...more often when the nozzle is shorter. It takes some adjusting, but I normally can get it to stay after a few tries...let me know what you find out at the dealers.
Old 04-28-10, 11:37 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have this problem occasionally (sometimes often). 2005, 38k miles. It might be due to another problem though on ours. I'll start a separate thread for that.

Last edited by nkx1; 04-29-10 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-29-10, 10:52 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it's usually caused by bubbles in the tank. it foams up, especially if you use the fastest setting. the bubbles touch the nozzle and tell it to shut off. kind of like filling a cup at a soda fountain. if you use a slower setting on the handle, it's less likely to cut off.
Old 04-29-10, 03:00 PM
Kickmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer had to replace my tank (no charge) for the same problem. It had got to the point where it took forever to fill the tank.
Old 04-29-10, 11:06 PM
ed lee
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for your replies

Thanks for your replies. I'm not glad others experienced the same problem but kind of relieved I'm not alone.

I have to fill up tank manually. I brought to dealer once already. They said they could not duplicate problem. I made another appt and insisted that they accompany me to gas station. I thought maybe it was the Costco Stattions that I normally go to, but last time I went to Chervon and had same problem twice. Gas stopped after 3-4 gals.

Yes if I hold trigger lighter it fills up w/o stopping. Yes dealer told me gas tank would have to be removed to repair the problem.
Old 04-30-10, 11:01 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Use to have this same issue, but not currently anymore - Have no clue why. Now, I fill it up in the medium setting and make sure the nozzle get push in further - the gas station where I get mine filled up have some kind of restriction that will not allow the nozzle to go in very far.
A lot of our cars don't get driven enough (mine 5k in the last 2yrs) so things may not work like normal. I also have an issue before where the accelerator pedal just seems to be really hard to press down. But, after driven the car a little more, these two issues seems to work themselves out.
Old 04-30-10, 02:19 PM
Jimbo23
Rookie

I have this same issue with my 06 SC430. Pumping would stop intermittently as the tank was full. Sometimes I would have to hold the nozzle half way at a slower pace to get a full tank. Similar issue with 09 MB C300. Talked to the folks at a shell station and he indicated that some new nozzle they installed were the cause for the problem. Prior to that, my RX never had any issues. This happened at several gas stations and my observation are that they were newer nozzles.

If this persist, I may bring it up to the dealer since the car is still under warranty.
Old 05-09-10, 09:57 AM
ed lee
Driver School Candidate

Got my SC back from Dealer. He said they did not dupicate the gas filling problem. This was my second time with same dealer same problem. I tryed filling up at Costco and Chevron and had the problem.
So I'll try the lower nozzle setting next time I fill up. I'm disappointed with this dealer. When I lived in the Pennisula region of San Francisco, the 2 dealers I went to tried harder to take care of my Lexus cars.

This dealer also always give car back to me with dirty fingerprints in the interior, footmarks on my driver door, carpet and this time a ding on my door.

Unfortunately for me my former dealer Putnam Lexus is 115 miles away.
Old 05-09-10, 10:41 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ed lee
This dealer also always give car back to me with dirty fingerprints in the interior, footmarks on my driver door, carpet and this time a ding on my door.

Unfortunately for me my former dealer Putnam Lexus is 115 miles away.
I believe a talk with the service manager is in order if this occurs regularly. I would also call Lexus and report your unhappiness with the dealer.
Old 05-09-10, 10:17 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is something I've noticed: I often have difficulties with the pump clicking off too early when they look like pump #1 with the rubber boot (see attached pic). The Costco we frequent has pumps that look like #1, and sure enough, we often have that problem. Today, conversely, I was at a Chevron that had a pump that resembled #2. No issues with it clicking off. I seem to recall another Chevron with the #2 pump style, and I didn't have any issues there either.

Based on my fairly small sample size, I have no idea if my tentative conclusion is based on causation or correlation; it could also be from the nozzle length. Perhaps others can chime in with their findings.

It's kind of wierd though... I almost never have problems with my '99 Toyota Solara with any pumps. Same deal with my fiance's sold '04 Jaguar X-type (minmal problems at pumps). I would say my '04 Corvette has similar issues to the SC430, particularly at Costco with the #1 style pumps.
Attached Thumbnails Gas will not fill up at the pump-gas-pumps.jpg  
Old 05-09-10, 11:42 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno if it helps but I always hold the pump upside down and works 100% that way. Every car I had never works the normal way.