SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Are these stock brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 05:55 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these stock brakes?

It's hard to see, so if you enlarge your browser some, you can see the rear rotor. Is that the size of the stock rotor? If it helps, the rims are 20".

I'm just wondering how hideous the wheels I ordered will look with the stock brakes.
Attached Thumbnails Are these stock brakes?-lexus-sc-430-job-design.jpg  
Old 05-04-10, 06:00 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

they might be. but with them being in shadow, this pic won't give you much of an idea how bad they'll look. maybe check the "post the most recent pic of your car" thread. there are probably some open face wheels in there with stock brakes.
Old 05-04-10, 06:12 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

They look stock to me. I have 20 " donz genovese stagered I am running drilled and slottoed rotors. Oem calipers. I just placed red lexus Logo decals I had made. They look good
Old 05-04-10, 07:35 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
they might be. but with them being in shadow, this pic won't give you much of an idea how bad they'll look. maybe check the "post the most recent pic of your car" thread. there are probably some open face wheels in there with stock brakes.
That's a good idea. Thanks.
Old 05-04-10, 07:38 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

If you follow the link in my signature block to my photo gallery I have a series of photos of the rotors and calipers with my 18 tourmalines. I decided on caliper covers after getting the new tourmalines for the reason you sited, really ugly calipers. I've been very pleased with the new look.
Old 05-04-10, 07:54 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrblister
They look stock to me. I have 20 " donz genovese stagered I am running drilled and slottoed rotors. Oem calipers. I just placed red lexus Logo decals I had made. They look good
That was kinda going to be my next question. What rotos did you get? I heard some of these make noise.

My actual question was to ask: Can you use the stock calibers with larger (in diameter) rotors than the stock ones?
Old 05-04-10, 07:58 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did my brakes this past weekend..I went with the front and rear cross/slotted rotors and the LS caliper upgrade and the stainless steel lines..Stops way better than before..Looks a lot better too..
Attached Thumbnails Are these stock brakes?-imag0503.jpg   Are these stock brakes?-imag0504.jpg  
Old 05-04-10, 08:05 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

my rotors were from ebay r1 performance . They are stock size just drilled and slotted. They work fine stop well. YES THEY DO MAKE SOME NOISE. But its not a problem for me.
If the top is down yes you can hear the light scraping noise. It does not bother me. I really wanted the rotors for the look but also I wanted them to stop well.They do

Buddy
Old 05-04-10, 08:17 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
If you follow the link in my signature block to my photo gallery I have a series of photos of the rotors and calipers with my 18 tourmalines. I decided on caliper covers after getting the new tourmalines for the reason you sited, really ugly calipers. I've been very pleased with the new look.
Thanks! I recall you showing them to me before

I've looked for 2 years now trying to figure out which rims to purchase, what size, offset, tire brand and size, which coilovers and specs to get and all... and when i finally called to order them he asked me if I was going to use big caliber breaks because the rims can be purchased for small or large caliber (A -Standard, O -Deep dish or R - big caliber) I find out if you get the R type, the lip on the rim is smaller - GREAT! Another thing to consider! Can you tell I'm very **** in making purchase decisions? But , w/o thinking, this time I just say: "give me the fattest lips"

I asked if those cover would work with type O and he said if they can clear the rim. So would you know how much thickness they add to the stock rotor?
Old 05-04-10, 08:19 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
I just did my brakes this past weekend..I went with the front and rear cross/slotted rotors and the LS caliper upgrade and the stainless steel lines..Stops way better than before..Looks a lot better too..
HOLY *****! Them surrrrrrrrrrrre are perrtty!
Old 05-04-10, 08:26 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

BTW Ice, are the LS calibers thicker in size than stock SC430?