SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 07:35 AM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ask her if she likes broken-off mirrors, size 12 dents in her door, and/or her windshield wipers adjusted skyward if she dings your car. If people do damage to your car, they can expect such courtesy to be returned (just make sure there are no security cameras). It really aggravates me that people just don't give a hsit whether or not they dent your car.

Conversely, I agree with some other posters that taking up two spots is probably not a good idea. Some people jealous of your car might be inclined to key or otherwise damage your car.

Edit: In answer to where you should park, I would park in a far away end spot. Also, make sure it is a spot where the side of your car would be adjacent to the passenger side of another car, and not the driver side. Every car has a driver that could ding your car, but not every car has a passenger; better odds of no dings that way.

Last edited by nkx1; 05-06-10 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 08:12 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

At the risk of being civilized, I would recommend against threats of retaliation, even if you are sure of the identity of the offender. That has ugly litigation written all over it.
Of course, a threat of retaliation is different from retaliation, but still, escalation of the skirmish has nowhere to go but up.
Old 05-06-10, 08:52 AM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tfischer
At the risk of being civilized, I would recommend against threats of retaliation, even if you are sure of the identity of the offender. That has ugly litigation written all over it.
Of course, a threat of retaliation is different from retaliation, but still, escalation of the skirmish has nowhere to go but up.
I would assert that damaging (dinging) someone else's car, and not leaving a note that you did so, is uncivilized and may elicit a commensurate response. But, I agree- if you know the person, I wouldn't take it any further than some solid threats.

In general, and in the case of 100 percent anonymity, if someone damages your car, how can that person expect anything less in return? It would give me much more satisfaction getting a bit of instant revenge than going to small claims court where you will probably lose anyway due to lack of evidence (your word against theirs).

Last edited by nkx1; 05-07-10 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 09:47 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts
Talking just some perspective

Hey Katy my wife is just like you when it comes to her car and hers is a RX not a coupe. She ALWAYS circles the parking lots looking for an "end" stall or one next to a parking island. She'll walk and make me walk an extra 1, 2 or 300 yards if she can't protect her baby. She been like this ever since I know her, and her cars are always in perfect condition... She sees her car as an outward extension of her pride of ownership and, in small way, a sign of success.

Yes she's a little OCD on cleanliness, but I love her for all her little quirks and our home is always neat and tidy.

I agree with the others don't take two spaces. It just gets under other's skin so easily and then they loose their sense of right and wrong. For the oddest of reasons they'll decide it's their right to punish you and your car for taking two spaces.

If as you mentioned there is plenty of parking then it sounds like you already know the path to parking Nirvana. Take it. Besides getting a little more exercise, you'll receive peace of mind knowing Jade won't be getting all banged up. There is nothing worse than a cherished SC all banged up.

Besides, receiving the benefit of saving bucks by not hiring the dentless repair guy, a little more exercise, the relief from that stress alone should and will be calming and probably of the most value to you.

Okay now take a deep breath and exhale slowly.
Old 05-06-10, 02:14 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lesson learned. that's why i park long, far and away, if necessary.

martini3
Old 05-06-10, 02:45 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And if you think Jade is doomed to always getting dinged, last time I was at a Lexus dealership (Sewell in Dallas), they have a deal where you can buy lifetime dent repair for your car (as long as you own it). The only problem was.....I think it was around $600.00!
Old 05-06-10, 04:54 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

one other thing, you said you dust your car off every morning. that desert dust is actually very sharp. it'll put little micro scratches in your car, dulling the finish over time. i wash mine every weekend because of the dust. it's a pain, but it's worth it in the long run.
Old 05-06-10, 05:24 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Door dings are no big deal?????? I wonder what she drives.
Even if I drove an '88 Grand Am, I'd be heated about any door ding.
Poor slob probably doesnt take care of her things.
Old 05-06-10, 05:24 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" one other thing, you said you dust your car off every morning. that desert dust is actually very sharp. it'll put little micro scratches in your car, dulling the finish over time. i wash mine every weekend because of the dust. it's a pain, but it's worth it in the long run."

I use a California duster.. and its great for Jade..she has had all her swirls removed, and clay barred.. thanks to Bob.

Well, I parked in one spot, like normal, and avoided the gal. Ran in to her in the ladies room and kept right on walking..

I think Jade will be safe. If anything good has come of this. its the news went around our 80 person office like wild fire. I have the nicest car at our office building, and the only Lexus of any kind. Maybe people think I am a snob., or showing off.I really do not care.

But you bet I will really be on the look out now. And.. I think people here know I will be looking at my car.

It's good to hear that as long as I use my sun shades ( front and back ) as well as bath towels on my seats, and on the steering wheel and console, that my leather will stay nice. That is really important to me.

Ok.. off the soap box.. my blood pressure is back to normal..
Thank you all my friends for letting me vent!!

Katy
Old 05-06-10, 06:36 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

You place towels on your seats, wheel and console, in addition to sun shades in the front and rear? Ha ha, really? Over the course of months/years, you must spend hours on pre/post-driving preparations! I guess it's good to take care of your car, but I would rather spend those cumulative hours enjoying other aspects of my life. I understand that everyone is different though.

You could probably get a good full or semi-metallic tint all around (including a light tint on your windshield), and not have to do all that stuff...
Old 05-06-10, 08:24 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say setup a camera in your car and record the culprit in the act. Sucks to hear that your car is constantly being dinged. I totally understand how that feels (my car was vandalized a few times, not the SC but my Toyota). Was tempted to stake my car out at night with a baseball bat to catch the punk kids who were doing it.
Old 05-07-10, 05:21 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

I should just put up a sign in my window.. " Smile , you're on Candid Camera"
!!

Katy
Old 05-10-10, 07:39 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No one else has a Lexus in your building? Wow! They would go into outer space if they knew you and Bob both had one. lol To bad for them and Hoorah for you and Bob!!!!!
Good to know about the Calif. duster. My wife always used one on her MX-6. I never had any use for one. Don't really need one for her white gold crystal SC. now my obisdian ES is another story now that I'm retired, and not going anywhere everyday. I find myself using it now and again. Hope you're right about not making swirl marks.
Old 05-10-10, 03:44 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Katy,
My wife had a similar experience outside her place of work. She has always taken great pains to park away from the crowd and will walk three times what she has to so the SC can stay perfect. She usually angles into a space but is away from the crowd.

Well one day the business was doing a promotion and the normally half empty lot was suddenly full. Amazing what giving away fat laden food at a gym can do for business!

Anyway she came out and found the following note:
"there's not enough parking here anytime for you to park like this.
this time it's the pen.
next time it's the key...."

So needless to say she now parks even further away from the building in an area where the cops sit.

Two weeks ago she decided she was paranoid and went in for some dry cleaning in a local crowded parking lot. 5 minutes in the store and Bingo! A nice white bumper rub against the drivers side rear wheel lip. No real damage just cosmetic. People just don't care about their stuff or yours!

I'll be doing a complete Zaino treatment (8+ hours) on her SC in two weeks so I'll have plenty of time to see what the world does to the finish of these beautiful vehicles!I keep the car immaculate for her and enjoy every minute of cleaning and shining it. Our friends always comment on the looks of her SC but wouldn't have a clue as to what it takes to keep it looking like it does!

Good Luck!
Old 05-10-10, 06:22 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

"I find myself using it now and again. Hope you're right about not making swirl marks.:"( California Duster)

The Duster leaves NO swirl marks! I am happy to report.

On the rest of the story.. the gal has not parked next to me for two days.. so far so good.

Regarding the " next time it will be a key"

How sick can you get! How nasty and destructive can people be! Telling someone that they WILL key their car..on purpose! Coward of course, did not leave a note, I am sure..
Katy

Quick Reply: OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..