SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 08:40 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My daily ritual

Mixed in with the little toys are the tools to clean the big toys. First The california duster each night--BUT never with dirt only dust, which we get plenty of in the southwest. and then the Zaino enhancer-I'm a big fan of all things ZAINO, from their clay bar to the enhancer. The result is a finish that I am constantly asked if it gets waxed weekly. Between you and I, its every other month. You will find no scratches or swirls. Yes, the second love of my life-the first is the (wifey) who tolerates it all. My little secret works great for me.
Attached Thumbnails OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..-img_0464.jpg   OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..-img_0466.jpg   OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..-img_0465.jpg   OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..-img_0467.jpg   OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..-img_0468.jpg  

Old 05-10-10, 10:59 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

White is a great color to conceal scratches. Wish we could have purchased a white one. Nice looking car Solman.

I do the lazy man's waxing: Wax-as-u-dry made by Eagle One or 1-Step Wax & Dry made by Turtle Wax. Either one works great. You just spray it on and wipe it off as you dry the car- looks as good as almost any wax I've ever used, it's no additional work, and the stuff lasts months! I use a clay bar as needed also, normally about once per year at the most.

Curious- where'd you get those models? Those look pretty cool.
Old 05-11-10, 06:14 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

The die-cast cars all came from ebay. I agree about the white. My last car was black and was a 24 hour job to keep clean. Using the duster and spray within a couple hours you would see dust on it. The white can go days (undriven) before you see dust. On the other hand my sc is a daily driver that I dont drive in the rain-remember rain is a rarety in calif. I'm fortunate to live in ca-easier to keep clean. I remember Illinois all too vividly, even after 25 years! Dont miss it-just the people.
Old 05-14-10, 10:17 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

ohhhhh man John you've got a clean car and a candyland of a garage! White is the best color for concealing scratches/swirls. My black pearl on the PB is a BEAST to keep without a swirl/scratch. I think I'm gonna have to pay some money to have it bufffed professionally. I've tried all my usual tricks with rubbing compound, clay bars, meguires 3part system, etc etc etc. I might try all the Zaino stuff you all rave about before I do that. Hell, by the time I buy it all, I probably could have paid for a great buff job!
Old 05-14-10, 10:54 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Scdroptop-I bought my Zaino supplies about 1 1/2 years ago for about $120 and will probably last me a couple of years yet. When you use the polish, it looks like a glass coat on it with a lot of depth and lasts a long time. All the money I spent on detailers never brought a glass like shine like this does and is not labor intensive. I've never felt sore arms like I've had with other waxes and polishes. Frankly, I never heard of Zaino until I got on this forum.

John
Old 05-15-10, 09:09 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

OK, John you talked me into it.

I just bought the Zaino full set online. Bought the complete set and also the sealer too. Free applicators with $25 purchase yah!!!! I am a long time advocate of Meguires so this will be hard shoes for Zaino to fill, but it's worth a shot and all my fellow CL'ers can't be wrong, can they?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=ZKIT-2
Old 05-15-10, 03:40 PM
Cliff1F2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Zaino since 1999, when I was introduced to it by a friend from Long Island. At that time I had a silver 2000 Audi TT coupe. When you can achieve a shine with depth on a silver car, you know you have something. Once I tried it, I've never even thought of switching to another product. It is simply the best, and you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-15-10, 04:06 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by azkaty
Regarding the " next time it will be a key"

How sick can you get! How nasty and destructive can people be! Telling someone that they WILL key their car..on purpose! Coward of course, did not leave a note, I am sure..
Katy
I leave notes, but only to let them know that the next time I see their vehicle parked that way I will be having it towed. I hate people who think that their car is so special it deserves its own parking lot. I hate door dings as much as the next person, but you have absolutely no right to take more than the one allotted space for your vehicle, no matter where it is. I had an employee who thought his car should be allowed to park across two spaces. I told him if I saw it again, he was terminated. A few weeks passed, and I went by on my day off to drop off some paperwork, noticed the car, and immediately terminated him. Don't finish the job, don't pass go, pack your crap and GTFO. I will not tolerate that whatsoever. I told customers who drove $100K plus cars to move theirs, too. Oh, I lost your business because you wanted to park like a turd with no cars even around? I'm heartbroken. You'll be back when no one else will take care of it like I will, and the people who recommended my shop would even tell me that their friend was upset but that when they were explained that we don't allow anyone to be a complete butthole on our lot, they understood. Never had a customer get a door ding, either, and I worked on a LOT of cars.

I will call the police (non emergency) when I see people parking in front of the grocery store so their fat assed wife/husband doesn't have to walk to the spot they park in. Invariably, it's not even that far down, but they're too lazy to do it anyway. I've only had one person get ornery about it, and he learned in no uncertain terms that I am not the person to confront when you're in the wrong. I'm sure the tickets are still being paid off since the officer pulled up behind him just as he decided to start smarting off. He's very lucky that I didn't feel immediate danger, or I would have made certain he felt the same. His wife smacked the bejeezus out of him, too. Serves him right.

I'm very happy with my car, and I try to treat others with just as much respect, but no one has the right to expect more than their fair share when it comes to parking. In the stores I frequent, I have the numbers that they call when they need a vehicle towed, and surprisingly enough, those people are very happy to come out and remove an offender. Amazing how that works! It's expensive, too. I'm sure they do their best not to damage the vehicle, but even if it is undamaged, it's got to be a disheartening feeling knowing that you did wrong, got caught, and now it's going to cost you upwards of $150 to get it back. It's an expensive lesson, but one that should only have to be learned once. Park at the far end where no one is, that's fine. Take two spots, you'll get the fine.

Big Mack

PS: To those who said that it was okay to do damage to another person's vehicle when they did it to yours, what do you do if it was a legitimate mistake? How badly would you feel if the person fell down, grabbed their door for stability, and hit yours in doing so? It's never okay to damage someone else's property. Civility begats civility.
Old 05-15-10, 05:04 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big Mack,
I agree with you 100%. Taking up two parking spaces, IMO, is just as inconsiderate as someone carelessly dinging a car and not leaving a note. Everyone has the right to try to protect their investment, but not at the expense or the inconvenience of anyone else.
Old 05-15-10, 06:03 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Big Mack, I agree with you for the most part- no one deserves better treatment than anyone else just because of their car (or for almost any reason). I never take up two spaces, even though I would like to. But regarding your p.s. statement: I'm generally a very civil person, especially since my fiancé is an attorney. However, as I stated previously, if someone damages my car and it is likely that they did so out of negligence or on purpose (ie they parked too close and dinged/damaged my car), I can and do play just as dirty as they do. I don't see how someone who does something like that can expect anything but the same treatment than they demonstrated towards you. Disrespectful behavior begets disrespectful behavior. And let's be realistic here- there probably aren't a whole lot of door dings that are the result of someone falling down or some other emergency. At least from what I've witnessed.
Old 05-15-10, 06:18 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Default Same problem-different excuse

After having both knees and one hip replaced and 2 back surgeries I am considered handicapped (w/placard). My problem with the sc's wide door is that I need it fully opened to use the door. Once in a great while, The handicapped spaces are taken and I look for 2 empty spaces hopefully not near any other cars. I then back in with my handicap placard in full view but taking both spaces. Not sure why some people have a placard when they don't look like they need it, but who knows, some people probably think I dont need it. Unfortunately for me, my doctor and body feel different about it. Anyway, what would be your opinion about this situation? Different or no? Am I asking for it? Oh and scdroptop, you wont regret your purchase, and you'll never go back. Have fun and enjoy the GREAT LOOK!
Old 05-15-10, 06:34 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

This has been a most interesting post...with interesting and now very vocal thoughts being expressed. So here we go..

I have never in my life taken 2 parking spaces.. until the last month when my car was hit three times..so hard the last time, that the dent almost would not come out.

In order to make a statement, which was what I was doing..I took two spaces, knowing that more than likely, the person who hit me would comment on it. And I was correct.

I was hoping, perhaps, the gal might have apologized for hitting my car..but instead.. she blew up at me, and did not get what I was trying to say to her.

What this was, you see, was a test..And my test proved my point.. not only that, I now have the satisfaction that this incident has gone all over the office, and I will be willing to place a bet that this will not happen again.

" Don't park next to Katy", is what I am sure has circulated.

And BTW, I am no longer taking 2 spaces. That was 2 days only-- just to prove my point, and protect my car.

Her statement to me was most telling.." my car has lots of dings on it, and I do not care".

No one likes to feel powerless, left angry with damages.. then have to pay for it on top of the frustration. I took a positive action. And although it was uncomfortable.. I think I came out on top , in this situation.

The gal lost it in front of other co workers, and she looked like an idiot.

Her disregard for someone else's property was not lost on the other people that witnessed the whole thing.

I rest my case.
Katy
Old 05-16-10, 09:10 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by nkx1
However, as I stated previously, if someone damages my car and it is likely that they did so out of negligence or on purpose (ie they parked too close and dinged/damaged my car), I can and do play just as dirty as they do. I don't see how someone who does something like that can expect anything but the same treatment than they demonstrated towards you. Disrespectful behavior begets disrespectful behavior. And let's be realistic here- there probably aren't a whole lot of door dings that are the result of someone falling down or some other emergency. At least from what I've witnessed.
I used the emergency as just one example of what may have happened. While I completely understand your sentiment, I cannot and will not agree with your statement that you should have the right to be disrespectful simply because they were disrespectful. Much the same as when someone is disrespectful to your face you must remain on the higher ground, this is the very same issue.

You should, in most cases, engage the person who was careless or did the damage intentionally. Whether it is by filing an insurance claim against them or asking them directly to pay for the damage they knowingly caused. If they refuse, you still have recourse. Is it easy? No, but if you stoop to their level, how is that better?

I am certainly not an angel, but I try to be a better person than these figpluckers. I have found that many times when you engage someone, they are remorseful. If they aren't and they get heated, I invite them to speak with the police, since I have no issue calling them when things like this happen and the offender won't be civil.

Katy, while I don't agree with the method, you did get some results. Since she essentially admitted that she was the person dinging the car, I would ask her to pay for what she did. You have every right to recover your damages. Clearly she knows she was in the wrong, and while it is between the two of you, your employer provides the spaces for you to park. I would speak with your HR person if she is not receptive. Many companies put clauses in their employee regulations that require at least a modicum of decency. This might be motivation enough for her to pay. Might even be motivation enough for her to be more courteous (this one is doubtful based on what you've said thus far).

Big Mack
Old 05-17-10, 05:31 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Thanks Mack for your understanding..you see , I was not sure who had dinged my car, and acusinging someone without knowing the truth of who did it would be wrong, and potentially get me in trouble at the office.

If I started a rumor, and she was not the person, it would be far worse for me.

I agree.. I would have loved to call the cops.. but you have to have proof, and I never saw it happen.

So I had to figure out a way to find out who did it.

Anyway, it's over now. Except she will never be my best friend. I may still go up to her and say something like." I am sorry we got cross ways with each other, but I just wanted to say that I want my car to be safe in the parking lot. Please understand my position."Of course she may just tell me to get out of her cubicle. It takes a big person to admit that they were wrong.

I am a peace maker, not a fighter.. but I can and will sand up for what it right.

Katy
Old 05-17-10, 01:36 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Big Mack,
I agree with you 100%. Taking up two parking spaces, IMO, is just as inconsiderate as someone carelessly dinging a car and not leaving a note. Everyone has the right to try to protect their investment, but not at the expense or the inconvenience of anyone else.
Could not agree more !

Quick Reply: OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..