SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 09:48 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what the !@#$%.

this thread is still going........?

anyways, I haven't used Zaino in a while for several years now.
I used to in the beginning w/ so many coats of that stuff,
it was pointless to use it anymore cause I couldn't get the paint
to be more perfect than it already is,
in terms of mirror shine, gloss, clarity and reflection.

I always take 2 parking spaces in semi-empty parking lots when I can

martini3

Last edited by martini3; 05-19-10 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-19-10, 10:17 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by martini3
what the !@#$%.

this thread is still going........?

anyways, I haven't used Zaino in a while for several years now.
I used to in the beginning w/ so many coats of that stuff,
it was pointless to use it anymore cause I couldn't get the paint
to be more perfect than it already is,
in terms of mirror shine, gloss, clarity and reflection.

I always take 2 parking spaces in semi-empty parking lots when I can

martini3

are you saying you haven't waxed your car in years? because i really doubt any wax will hold up that long. i just bought their clay bar and polish. it does look great. but i'm guessing it's still a 2 times a year minimum thing.
Old 05-19-10, 10:24 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Affirmative. No wax in at least 3 years and going.
I tend to believe the Zaino polymer sealant application
has somewhat bonded to the clearcoat after all those coats over and over again.

Therefore, after it rains or when the dirt sticks really hard on the sides of the car,
I only handwash w/ a soft car soap liquid and wipe dry w/ microfiber towel.

On non-rainy days throughout the year, I use the Meguiar's Detailer Spray w/ microfiber towel to maintain the paint from bird crap splats, tar, spit, tree sap and other pollutants in the air.

No more claying and no more wax. Just spray and wipe every week and the clearcoat is still mirror finish. If this matters at all which might play an important factor to the well-maintained clearcoat, the car is driven and garaged daily and is treated more like royalty than my girlfriend. As a matter of fact, it's the only chic I have at the moment.

martini3

Last edited by martini3; 05-19-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-19-10, 10:37 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess is the detailer spray has a wax or sealant in it. I'd be surprised if there's much zaino left on your car after that many years. Either way, if it works, it works.
Old 05-19-10, 11:20 AM
tfischer

Received 224 Likes on 165 Posts

Zaino is a polymer sealant and contains no wax. It bonds to the paint, provided that you remove all the wax first - if not, it will come off with the wax in a few weeks. (Wax seldom stays on the car beyond 4 weeks.) Applied correctly, Zaino will last and keep the rain beading (the usual test) for about 6 months, depending on ambient conditions. Even with multiple coats, which are recommended for appearance and depth of shine, it will not usually last on the car beyond 12 months.
The QD sprays (there are 2) are gloss enhancers that do not contain wax and have a life span of about a week.
Many professionals use Zaino instead of wax, especially for cars that are shown. It's not widely used by consumers because of the multi-step process for the first coat: remove wax, clay (not absolutely required) and two or three initial coats over a day or two, keeping the car clean (off the road) between coats (although adding ZFX to the Z2 or Z3 allows 3 coats/day). However, once that is done, simply applying one coat every 4 to 8 months keeps the shine and the protection in place; at this stage, upkeep is far less than wax (Zaino does not require buffing) always lasts longer and generally has a deeper shine and gloss than wax, especially on darker colors.
There are several polymer sealants available, but Zaino is generally considered to be the best. I started with it in 2001 and have never used any product containing wax since.
Read up on polymers before you start because a good result depends upon getting the initial application done correctly. Highly recommended for those so inclined.