SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 06:30 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..

So I drive Jade to work every day..she gets dusted off before I get in the car, then I am on my way to work.

I park in a space, which will give me shade in the afternoon.

Last month, not once, not twice but THREE times someone opens their driver door in to me..!I know it's at work because.. I dust Jade off every day!

So two days ago, I decieded I had enough.. and took two parking spaces.

Now mind you , there are plenty of spaces, and not in the front.. just under one of several shade trees in our sunny AZ parking lot.

Today I came out at lunch, and one person decieded to pull up us close as they could to me.. ,on purpose. ( Was there a message here?)

I then backed up, and pulled in sideways across 2 spots..Then at 5pm, the gal who had parked next to me asked me why I was parking that way.. in her angry voice.

I said " because I am tired of paying the Dent Master to pull dents out of my passenger door. She says.."I have lots of dings in my car, its no big deal, and you should not take 2 spaces", and I said.. " well, I don't want any more dings on my car door".

Of course, the other office people are now watching this whole thing..

So..I ask you all..am I being too hot about this..? What would you do, and say? Tomorrow, I am not really sure of what I am going to do or where I should park. I STILL do not want to pay for any more damage to my car!!!

How would you all handle this now?
Katy
Old 05-05-10, 07:06 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I park as far as possible.. next to the curb so only one side could be dented if it happens. The ppl that typically park as far as I do care about their cars as well so no prob as of yet. knock on wood. To answer ur question.. I would NOT take 2 spots. When you take 2 spots ur asking to get dinged or even worse.. keyed. ppl hate that. About the girl that said "its no big deal".... Shes probably ur culprit. lol
Old 05-05-10, 07:12 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just park further away and only take one space. Parking across 2 spaces probably will get you keyed. I wouldn't bother parking under a tree. Just get a windshield shade and tint your windows if you haven't already. Our AC unit is pretty powerful. It'll cool you off fast enough. I've lived through enough Vegas summers to speak from experience.
Old 05-05-10, 07:15 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

lol i bought a viper 5901 2 way alarm, and the movement sensor is on max so if anything touchs my car i know and i will walk my happy as$ out there and check it....and if someone hits my door its pretty obvious ( gotta love dwp)
Old 05-05-10, 07:25 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

So.. give up my shade, and get my exercise..so far that's the vote..

I am still P***Ed off !!
Katy
Old 05-05-10, 07:27 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

""About the girl that said "its no big deal".... Shes probably ur culprit. lol"

And you should see her car!!It's a mess..
Katy
Old 05-05-10, 07:44 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I would definitely just take the walk and park far.

I do that as well with my car. All the cars back there with me are new and we all park in the same spots every day. It's like our little meet, but we never see each other.
Old 05-05-10, 08:28 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

agreed with the above comments. there was a fellow who had a new car at my workplace and parked in two spots and there were some angry people who lefts notes on his windshield.. it would be much worse if someone keyed your car.
Old 05-05-10, 09:17 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your frustration katy, other people just don't seem to understand "Pride" in ownership, they could care lees about their car let alone someone else's. I always park far away and park at an angle so I take up as much space as possible in one space. ( I put the stick on body side mouldings on our car just because of these "A" holes) It's easy to remove and doesn't leave any marks behind. May look tacky but at least it won't be wavey in the end!!
Old 05-05-10, 09:28 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i know what you mean. you try to park as far away from people as possible, yet theres always someone who wants to do the same, and more often than not, their car probably has so many dings and scratches that they dont care if they inflict some damage to another's car. i love those spots that are created individually, meaning there are no cars next to it. i dont care if i have to walk a half an hour just to get inside places like work or the mall. it might seem over the top but some people take pride in their cars and dont want even the slightest ding on it. i say just try to find the most remote spot available where hardly anyone park, but theres no need to take up two spots. thats a keying waiting to happen. hope it all works out for you katy!
Old 05-05-10, 10:00 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Katy: I absolutely understand your frustration and anger. At the end though, take a deep breath and follow what others have said....park farther away and close to other nice (and clean) cars. Probably, buy a car cover so that you can park wherever you want and may provide some protection from (inadvertent) door hits.

One thing for sure....I don't know what is about this car but I now have a trait that I didn't know I had before...OCD. I have owned my SC for almost 3 months now and I have already spent $300 in fixing the keyed scratch and a door ding (paintless dent removal). I don't know when this car will become "old" to me so that I stop worrying about minor things. I can't believe this....SC is my 5th lexus and others (a lot newer models) became "old" in less than a month.

I am now driving my 97 LX to work....this is a tank and can take anything. Hopefully, this will keep my SC away from harm's way for sometime.

Cheers.
Old 05-06-10, 04:41 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Taking two parking spaces makes you a target, and if you do it for a while someone will hurt Jade, here are some random thoughts. These are NOT recommendations.

1. Coupes have the longest doors, most likely to damage you.
2. People too lazy to open the door carefully, will not walk further than they need to.
3. If you park under trees, a couple of drops of syrup on the windshild of cars near you will stop people from parking there.
4. Pick up a orange cone and drop it next to your car when you park somewhere that looks really bad.
5. I know someone who witnessed his car being keyd by a co-worker. He sprayed air conditioner coil cleaner on the persons car, and the next day the paint was half peeled.
6. My observation, the city you live in makes a big difference. Seattle is a one ding per five year city, while Miami is a 4 ding per year city. In Puerto Rico my rental car had significant damage every day. Choose your neighbors well.
7. You can buy those parking stickers, the orange ones that you put on the window, telling people they are parked illegally, which take some effort to remove.

Check this out

http://www.doordefender.com/

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 05-06-10 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-06-10, 05:22 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Thanks for letting me vent you guys! The treadmill got a REALLY good workout last night! I was tired , but felt better, and was more clear headed ( and lost some calories too!)

So I agree..the lazy people will not walk that far, the nasty gal next to me wants the shade space--I do too, but I guess I will just deal with it.

I am trying to preserve my leather as best I can but keeping Jade as cool as possible.

Now I just have to deal with all the gossip today in the office..it will all die down.

Door guards look like a good idea, but I just do not want to have to do that..

And finally.. before Jade, this never would have bothered me this much.. now I know how much this car means to me! Why else would I dust her every day!

We shall see what happens..I will post if there are more happenings today.
Katy
Old 05-06-10, 06:40 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All you have to do is tint your windows and buy a sunshade. Your leather will be fine. Clean and condition it every couple of months. I spent 4 summers in Vegas and my leather is as good as new.
Old 05-06-10, 06:43 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

I agree with not taking up two spaces; that's just asking for trouble.
I like to park at the end of a line where there can be only one car next to mine, and I put the car as far to one side as I can. Often this leave enough space so that the neighboring car door can't hit my car, as long as it's in its own space. Good luck.

Quick Reply: OK..I have to vent and get y'alls oponion..