Question about DRL

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 10:27 AM
atlantatan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about DRL

I installed the 9005 DRL 68SMT Led bulbs ordered from ebay
They look beautifully,"flicker" is worst and my check engine, vsc light come on,so I change back to the factory lights,question do I need to order the modules to solve the problem or buy different set of lights.
Old 05-12-10, 12:52 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

I have ordered the same bulbs and have the same concerns after reading your post. I know scdroptop put them on his sc and maybe could tell us if he had the same problem and if he did how did he resolve it. I also saw on the ebay sellers page they suggest installing resistors, so I emailed them and asked them what size and where do you install them, I presume it would be inbetween the bulb wires and the socket harness. So scdroptop if you see this let us know how yours turned out.
Old 05-12-10, 07:04 PM
atlantatan
Rookie

Originally Posted by lonfrank
drls for what???!!! had the dealer turn mine off. lf
we talking about change the DRL yellow light bub to white but the problemwhen install them the check engine and VSC light came on.I can turn the DRL off but rather have all the lights.
Old 05-13-10, 05:15 AM
atlantatan
Rookie

I found V-LEDS had 9005 PLUG N' PLAY DRL DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT MODULE in stock and 9005 DRL WIRING HARNESS + RESISTOR out stock which will that help stop the flicker,check engine and VSC light,any comment ? email v led about modules waiting to hear from them.

Last edited by atlantatan; 05-13-10 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-13-10, 09:37 AM
scrdstr
Rookie

drls for what???!!! had the dealer turn mine off. lf
Some places its illegal to turn them off. Got an answer from the ebay seller and they sell the resistors which will stop the dash light from coming on.
Old 05-14-10, 01:07 AM
xenonrider
Driver School Candidate

my solution was to use a relay harness: it gets power directly from the battery and you can tap the signal wires to your fuse box (spliced into the driver side fuse box "inj"). I have had mine hooked up for over a year and it has worked like a charm.

isue with modules is that on DRL mode, the LED will not run dim as it is not getting 12V.
Old 05-14-10, 12:54 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

"illegal"???!!! not in the good ol' usa. maybe in canada which is like 2k miles form here. mexico & the dream machine would never get back home w/or w/out the drls!!! lf
So what if Canada is 2k from where ever it's still illegal and there are lots of Canandians in this forum.
Old 05-14-10, 12:55 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Originally Posted by xenonrider
my solution was to use a relay harness: it gets power directly from the battery and you can tap the signal wires to your fuse box (spliced into the driver side fuse box "inj"). I have had mine hooked up for over a year and it has worked like a charm.

isue with modules is that on DRL mode, the LED will not run dim as it is not getting 12V.
I think thats a good idea thanks xenonrider
Old 05-14-10, 09:45 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

atlantatan-sorry you are having trouble with the lights. Definitely not the experience I had. Can you post the link to where you bought? I'll see if I can dig up mine. I believe if you search for DRL you will find both my red and my pebble beach conversions I did and the link to the bulbs too (I think).

Must have bad bulbs...engine light and vsc should not come on. I've done two sets of DRL's on two SC's with different bulbs and different year cars. A little flickering on the current pair and a little more on the first pair I did.

I opted for the more expensive 68smd bulbs on eBay (not sure how much yours were) and researched thoroughly to ensure 100% feedback from all buyers. I went deep into the feedback and looked at the kinds of cars they were selling to (not just GM cars or trucks). The ones I got were actually favs on the IS and GS forums. They had a ton of Lexus ones with tons of happy customers. I saw some cheaper ones out there for $10-$15 and also saw their crappy feedback.

In the end, it's a trade off. I don't think you are going to be able to simply "plug and play" with no flickering due to the resistor/load issue. For $40 mine were worth the slight tick you get. It seems that it gets better as the bulb warms up and breaks in...if that makes any sense. I wanted an inexpensive mod and to keep the DRL's so I opted NOT to get the HID kit with ballasts which were much more. I believe a good HID conversion for your DRL's will run $200, plus a little more time installing and more skill.

The ones I THOUGHT about getting said they guarantee no flickering and had a great feedback rating...sold to lots of Lexus cars, but I still wondered where the heck you mount these ballast boxes and if the bulbs would fit in the rather smaller 9005 high beam cut out in our lenses. Too many unknowns, too much money and looked like a PITA to install so I aborted and got the $40 slight flickering. They look great and the flickering is very minimal. I've asked everyone in person who has seen my car to look to see the flickering and they only notice after they study the lights for a while and really look hard. It appears that it is some sort of load/surge flicker.

Here is the HID conversion kit for $150 that advertises to elminate your problems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9005-...Q5fAccessories
Old 05-16-10, 05:16 AM
atlantatan
Rookie

Thanks scdroptop for the information ,I got the light from your DRL mod post:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White...Q5fAccessories
I email the seller he's send the replacement bub,will post back with resolve.
How about the plug & play module from V-leds will that stop from flicker,I read talwang post but I don't known if he install the module.
Old 05-18-10, 01:57 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

back to scr...guess in this post/thread the ca locations must be the canucks???!!! i'm not sure i'v seen 1 from canada anywhere in the cls. but it's a beautiful place to visit & if & when the "dream machine" makes the trip i'l be sure to turn the lites on. lf
You do that lonfrank we will be waitin for ya haha! and I thought I saw one of the mod's is from Canada. I was reading somewhere on the net and I don't know if this is a fact or not but the good ole USA is legislating the mandatory use of DRL's in 2011, that will be a sad day as like you I hate them. Anyone know anything about this.
Old 05-18-10, 01:59 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

I installed the same bulbs today and no dash warning light but really bad flicker, like really fast signal lights. Have to take them out.