SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Injen Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 07:00 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Injen Intake

Ok..this is going to be a basic question I think.

Bob's injen intake may go on Jade..

But, here is my concern.

Arizona is hot, and I am worried that the injen will make my car run hotter.

Can I have feedback on this please? I love the way it sounds, but I just don't want to hurt my car, or take a chance.

Katy
Old 05-15-10, 07:30 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it would make any difference. Engine temperatures can reach levels well above outside ambient temperature. If anything, you might get an increase in MPG as the warmer/hotter air will decrease the amount of gas your car will use. Oh, and I never did take a picture of my make-shift heat shield. I"ll do it later today and post it up for your consideration.

*Opps, can't take the picture...because I don't have my car atm :P

Last edited by CAMAracer; 05-15-10 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 08:32 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of intakes, sorry for hi-jacking your thread for a bit, but does anyone have a comparison of the noise the stock intake makes and the sound of the injen one?
Old 05-16-10, 01:17 AM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You shouldn't have a problem. Somebody correct me if Im wrong but my thought is that your engine temp would actually run cooler.
Old 05-16-10, 07:28 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Thanks guys.. if there is any study that is posted, I would love to look at it.

My injen does not have the heat shield..have not purchased one yet. Will that make a difference?Hotter Cooler?
Katy
Old 05-17-10, 05:05 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is Bob's SC located somewhere else? Does he have any heating issues? If he doesn't then you shouldn't either, and if he does then you might want to rethink the intake. Have him swap out his for yours. If there isn't any problem, then tell him to go buy one for his car, and put it on, you got yours. Don't give him the keys. lol
Old 05-17-10, 05:36 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

HA Ha!! Well..

I guess I must let you all know the sad story..actually Bob is happy..

Bob sold his red SC, and bought a Vette! I never knew he liked them, but I guess he loves a really fast car. Jade is perfect for me..

Any way.. the injen did not go with the car..and he did not drive it in the heat, so I am not sure how it would do in AZ.

But, I guess I can always put it on then take it off, right?
Katy
Old 05-17-10, 07:03 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Easy On! Easy off! Put on, if there is a problem in the heat take it off then put back on in th Ariz. winters. (Ariz. winter oxymoron) He must have practice. As far as fast cars? I'm sure he could get a ticket in his red SC, take off the traction control and spin the tires that always gets their attention. Hell I got one in Ariz. last year in my ES and then got another one in Texas, it would have been cheaper to fly, so you really don't need a fast car, to go fast enough to get ticketed. What year and what style? I guess you'll be changing your picture again. Wait I guess you already have changed your picture. I'm too poor to pay attention. I bet the people in the Vette forum won't be as nice as the members here. They only want to wave at you when you drive by. Now his arm will get tired. lol
Old 05-17-10, 08:32 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Injen intake is not a cold air intake, so the air entering the engine comes from within the engine bay, therefore it is hotter than it would be using the stock system.
The hotter the air, the less performance, which may be offset by the overall increase in air flow due to less air flow restriction provided by the short ram of the intake. I think performance wise, it's a wash. It does provide a different tone from the engine begining at 3000 rpm or so, akin to a 4 barrell opening up, which sounds good to me.
The Injen heat shield is a nice chrome piece that adds some bling, but it's effectiveness as far as reducing the intake air temp is questionable IMHO.
Old 05-17-10, 05:56 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SteadyEddy
Easy On! Easy off! Put on, if there is a problem in the heat take it off then put back on in th Ariz. winters. (Ariz. winter oxymoron) He must have practice. As far as fast cars? I'm sure he could get a ticket in his red SC, take off the traction control and spin the tires that always gets their attention. Hell I got one in Ariz. last year in my ES and then got another one in Texas, it would have been cheaper to fly, so you really don't need a fast car, to go fast enough to get ticketed. What year and what style? I guess you'll be changing your picture again. Wait I guess you already have changed your picture. I'm too poor to pay attention. I bet the people in the Vette forum won't be as nice as the members here. They only want to wave at you when you drive by. Now his arm will get tired. lol
I will probably have to give the Injen a shot..I know how Jade runs right now, so I will just monitor the engine temp, and performance/gas mileage..

Truly, it is easy to put on and take off.

I do like the way it sounds though.

Yes, Bob got a 2000 C05 Vette. Funny thing is, I never knew he was looking at getting one!
Katy
Old 05-17-10, 06:46 PM
westrella1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by azkaty
Funny thing is, I never knew he was looking at getting one!
Wow. My fiancee would most definitely have an issue if I came home with a new car & didn't consult her. (Although, it might be different if the car was for her!!!)

Bob is definitely one of the luckiest men on the planet!
Old 05-18-10, 04:06 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

If I came home with a vehicle, without talking first, I'd better have made some arrangements with a furneral director before bring it home. Bob sure is a lucky one. I question his thinking of going from an SC to a 00 Vette. Unless the new ones ride better than the old ones. I have looked every couple of years when looking for a vehicle and just didn't like how low they sit (getting in and out) and the ride quality (rough). I'd look then move on. But that's on Pa. roads, Az roads tend to be smoother.
Ask Bob if his arm is tired yet, from waving at the other Vette owners.
BTW Bob good luck on your new car.
If the injen doesn't work you might want to try a K&N filter, that might make a difference in the sound when you step on it.
Old 05-18-10, 05:03 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Katy,

I own this intake and installed it on my wife's SC. Here's what I can prove:
- Better sound from the engine when accelerating.
- Better looks in the engine compartment.
- Lumpy idle in hot weather. (No cold air intake path)
- No increase in mileage

I have no idea about a Hp gain but as a Mechanical Engineer with a fluid dynamics background I can tell you that unless you are dropping the intake temp 50+ degrees or so below what the engine compartment is, the Hp gain is NIL. You may in fact lose Hp and I believe this is the case in the dead of summer in North Carolina with our SC.

Not saying don't do it, just make sure the numbers pass the sanity check!
Old 05-18-10, 05:26 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Another informative.. and fun (ny) post!

Bob IS waving at allot of Vette people..when he decieded to get the Vette, I had a few days notice.. so...I called the owner, and actually made arrangements to have a girl friend drop me off, then got the car to emissions and home in the garage, before he got home.

Bob had no idea, and when he came home, I said to him that there was a scorpion in the garage, and he needed to get it out of there!

He goes running out to the garage, right past the Vette! Then stops , looks up and his jaw just dropped!

He had no idea that I had gotten the Vette home! Too funnny!

Any way, so there is the rest of the story!

We should start a thread on best surprises? Ya think?
Katy
Old 05-18-10, 05:28 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
Katy,

I own this intake and installed it on my wife's SC. Here's what I can prove:
- Better sound from the engine when accelerating.
- Better looks in the engine compartment.
- Lumpy idle in hot weather. (No cold air intake path)
- No increase in mileage

I have no idea about a Hp gain but as a Mechanical Engineer with a fluid dynamics background I can tell you that unless you are dropping the intake temp 50+ degrees or so below what the engine compartment is, the Hp gain is NIL. You may in fact lose Hp and I believe this is the case in the dead of summer in North Carolina with our SC.

Not saying don't do it, just make sure the numbers pass the sanity check!
Tfeni:

Thanks for the engineering perspective..

I AZ, I have a feeling that the heat will make a major difference, at least from June to October..

I may try it for fun, then take it off.

But this is good information for me, thank you.
Katy