SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 compared to Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 06:40 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default SC430 compared to Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet

Anyone have any comments on comparing the SC to the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet?

Seems like an apples to apples comparison. I'm very impressed by the MB technology, especially the "distronic" adaptive cruise control which can actually apply the brakes and completely stop the car. Rush hour, here I come, and I'm going to be texting.
Old 05-18-10, 06:57 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Having never owned a Mercedes, but having known others with them and reading about others with them, I will say that the SC430 is probably going to be more reliable and will not likely nickel and dime you to death like a Mercedes when out of warranty. However, if you are only going to keep the car for the duration of the warranty period, then that point is partially negated. Then again, you probably don't want to waste your life sitting in the Mercedes dealer lounge waiting for your car to be repaired, even if it costs you nothing during the warranty period.

Another point of contention is that the E-Class has a fabric top. Really, a fabric top in 2010? A bit antiquated compared to competing hard-top convertible models imo. I feel that most Mercedes vehicles are generally overpriced, and Lexus offers a similar/better product for less money. Why waste money? The adaptive cruise control is cool, but the Lexus quality supersedes a few small conveniences in a lesser quality vehicle imo.
Old 05-19-10, 07:04 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally agree with nkx1....I've owned several Mercedes including a 92 500SL which I owned for 13yrs and should have sold long before I did. Two yrs ago I picked up an 03 SC430 and could not be happier.
Old 05-19-10, 09:00 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't give a direct comparison since I've never driven that model. But I owned an SLK and I'll never buy a mercedes again. Worst car I ever owned. I put over $5000 into multiple repairs the last year I owned it. On top of it being far less reliable, you don't have the option to go to a less expensive shop (toyota in our case) for standard repairs and maintenance.
Old 05-19-10, 09:36 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

I just saw the Merc commericial the other day regarding this new E convert and I browsed the net yesterday looking at it.

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...cabriolet.html

I'm glad you did this post so now I can give you my thoughts.

It's a really nice looking E convert but the butt kind of sticks up really high.
The interior has no wood at all and looks kind of "plastic".
The cool thing about it is that you can travel @ 25mph while popping the top up/down. The soft top will wear and tear in about 2-3 after owning it (if not well-maintained). It has the neck vents when those nights are chilly w/ the top down. A lot of technology and powerful V6 and V8 engines.

Compared to our SC's, I would say the SC has more of a luxury feel.
But if you're not into that sort of thing when buying a car,
then I guess this new E convert will attract plenty of top down enthusiasts.

martini3
Old 05-19-10, 07:16 PM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I myself wanted an E class once upon a time... Try visiting Benzworld.org and scroll through the forums. Most of the threads on that site have to do with repairs. The Mercedes ride quality/handling is uncanny but their reputation for reliability is horrible. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-19-10, 08:46 PM
bagyo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i had a 04 C-Class, did all the maintenance myself and if you find a nice mom and pop shop for parts, it's really not that bad. i did the oil changes, brakes, spark plugs and wires and was pretty reliable aside from a few interior lights goin out, electrical glitches(car wouldn't start) and check lights randomly popping up and disappearing(kinda annoying and mad me worry) it wasn't that bad to own, but after all it was just a C-Class. The E has way more electronic gadgetry going on, especially the new one. Lexus all the way, no problems whatsoever, you get that class and reliability Lexus is known for.
Old 05-20-10, 06:31 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Pick-up a copy of the Consumer's Report magazine on cars and you will have the comparison answers to all the questions.
Old 05-20-10, 08:24 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you looking for reliability definately go with another lexus. But let me say my MB CLS has been rock solid and I have every option possible on my car. But my 02CL500 was a mess but its obvious MB reliability has improve over the years. As far as image and looks the E class coupe in white is so beatiful with the top down.
I adore coupes but I was never became a fan of the current SC430 I guess b/c I was so in loving with the previous bodystyle. If I was you I probaly would go for a used SL but thats me I love being the big dog on campus. Good luck

Last edited by rogers2; 05-20-10 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-20-10, 04:09 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Was the 01 SC the first with a hardtop?
Old 05-20-10, 04:15 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Was the 01 SC the first with a hardtop?
the first model year for the sc430 was 02. it was the first convertible lexus. if you're asking if it was the first hardtop convertible in general, no. hardtop convertibles go back decades. they just haven't been very common.
Old 05-21-10, 12:07 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Ok thanks for the clarification. Yeah i really didnt see many hardtops around before the SC430.
Old 05-21-10, 02:25 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nkx1
Another point of contention is that the E-Class has a fabric top. Really, a fabric top in 2010? A bit antiquated compared to competing hard-top convertible models imo.
That was certainly my first impression also. I read some reviews on the web which said that the fabric is so thick that there is little difference from a sound perspective. It also said that storage was more compact, but if the top is so thick I don't really understand how that could be.

The main advantage of the fabric top is that it is light which apparently helps with achieving top down at 25MPH, which is way cool. Also, the fabric can be a different color, which is an interesting look:

Old 05-21-10, 04:03 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Not really a fan of cars that are "made" into a conv. However, im a big fan of cars that were designed from the start as a convertable like the SC and SL. Only hardtops that pleases my eye and that are not pure converts are the 3series and A5. No matter how outdated the SC may "seem" to folks, its still one the best designs on the market hands down. Lexus didnt mess with success all these years and now i see why.
Old 05-21-10, 09:21 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
That was certainly my first impression also. I read some reviews on the web which said that the fabric is so thick that there is little difference from a sound perspective. It also said that storage was more compact, but if the top is so thick I don't really understand how that could be.

The main advantage of the fabric top is that it is light which apparently helps with achieving top down at 25MPH, which is way cool. Also, the fabric can be a different color, which is an interesting look:

I suppose a lighter weight is always an advantage. But I wonder how much lighter it really is, considering the SC430 top is aluminum. I would be willing to bet the difference isn't much. The color thing is pretty subjective; I happen to like a uniform color, though I know everyone has different tastes.

In total, I think the hard top wins hands down and to me, the 10-year old Lexus looks better as well. As I already conceded, however, I think it really comes down to one's opinion as to what styles/features are desirable. But the one thing I think is not debatable is reliability. Lexus wins hands down, at least as of the present.

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Not really a fan of cars that are "made" into a conv. However, im a big fan of cars that were designed from the start as a convertable like the SC and SL. Only hardtops that pleases my eye and that are not pure converts are the 3series and A5. No matter how outdated the SC may "seem" to folks, its still one the best designs on the market hands down. Lexus didnt mess with success all these years and now i see why.
I have to agree with you- in its class, I don't think anything beats the overall package of the SC430. It will be interesting to see what successor Lexus has in store for the SC430. That is, if there is one (I really hope there is).

Quick Reply: SC430 compared to Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet