SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

moving sc430 from east coast to west coast

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 01:59 PM
SSSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving sc430 from east coast to west coast

Anyone knows good auto mover/had experienced of moving cars from east coast (DC area) to west coast (LA)?

I talked to several people and most of them have bad experience with auto movers.
I am affraid they will scratch the car or even worse.

TIA for the info.
SSSC430
Old 06-26-02, 07:36 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be more than happy to tear-*** across the country in your car for you. It'll save lots wear on mine. I'll also have the opportunity to fully test it's limits in every respect (trying to lower top at 80mph, flaming bleach burn-outs, VSC System at 120 mph hairpin turns).

Tell me where to pick 'er up !!
Old 06-26-02, 11:24 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LOL

I had a car trucked from LA to Chicago with great success. I can look up who I used if you are still interested.

Why not drive it over yourself though? It should be an enjoyable ride and save you over ship fees which would be over $1000 if you get a reputable trucker!

After driving 11K miles in 3 weeks for my Alaska trip, coast-to-coast sounds like a cake-walk!

You can drive coast-to-coast over the 4th of July holiday weekend and fly back? I'd volunteer to do it myself but I'm guessing you don't want the miles put on your car right? (Besides if you are like me, you wouldn't trust others with your car so how about just driving yourself to avoid the headaches of worry?)
Old 06-26-02, 11:29 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default another thought?

anyone you know and trust have a car trailer and truck to take it for you or for you to borrow to transport it yourself? We've used our car trailer for transports on a few occasions but not for coast-to-coast stuff...
Old 06-26-02, 11:47 AM
SSSC430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your enthusiastic offer to drive the car for me.

Actually, I've been thinking of driving the car. It'll probably take +- 5 days for me from east to west coast.
My friends told me it's wonderful to drive accross America.

Now I think I need to purchase the spare tire kit as precaution. I replaced the run flat.
I'll check with my dealer soon, hopefully it's not $1000 as it was previously discussed in this board.

Ceboyd, 11K miles in 3 weeks. WOW. Did you drive your SC430?

SSSC430
Old 06-26-02, 11:59 AM
daygo718
Lead Lap

SSSC430- If you have another person with you to help you drive, you can get to LA in 2 days. I drove from DC to to San Diego in 43 hours with another driver (although I drove all but 5 of those hours! ). I pretty much ate when we stopped for gas and got a few hours of sleep when we switched drivers. If you're not in a rush (like I was) get at least one night of sleep on the way out.
Old 06-26-02, 12:22 PM
rscharf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Group buy on SC Spare Tire Kit?

Originally posted by SSSC430
Now I think I need to purchase the spare tire kit as precaution. I replaced the run flat.
I'll check with my dealer soon, hopefully it's not $1000 as it was previously discussed in this board.
Maybe now is the time to bring up a group buy on the spare tire kit for the SC again. I plan to drive with the run flats until they need to be replaced, but will replace with non-run flats. I'll buy the kit now knowing I'll be switching over in the future.

I have no idea how to post a poll to gauge interest in the topic. Could I get some moderator help here?

I don't know how long you can afford to wait SSSC430, but maybe we can get some savings.

Thanks.

Robert
Old 06-26-02, 12:50 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

SSS,

If you make the trip yourself you'll have the time of your life. I made the drive from LA to NY many, many (mannnny) years ago. I have pictures etched in my memory that I'll never forget.

If you have the time, take the opportunity. You won't regret it.

In the event you do decide to drive, have a wonderful and saf trip !
Old 06-26-02, 12:54 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First ... DO NOT give your keys to Larry.

I drove from upstate NY to Salt Lake City a few years ago and loved it. Once you get past Lake Michigan it's pedal to the metal, flat-country-drivin', and 'teen-wheeler draftin'. A real hoot.

If you're a stay-at-home Easterner like me, you finally get to see those spacious skies, amber waves of grain, and purple mountain majesties you've been singing about (I hope) ever since you were a kid.

Plains driving is easy - I made it from Benton Harbor, Michigan to Cheyenne, Wyoming in 16 hours and it was an easy drive. Well, easy after I blasted by Gary, Indiana where I had to hold my breath for a half an hour.
Old 06-26-02, 02:26 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

The 3000 mile or so drive can be easily done in 2 in a half to 3 days by yourself as long as you don't wonder off to explore anything. lol I know thats pushing it but I have done it!!! Just make sure to drive at least a 1000-1200 miles a day. The trick is to eat, ****, fill up all at once. Don't keep stopping!! :eek: Figure for a good safe number 80mph times 15 hrs =1200 miles and you throw in another 1-2 hrs or so for stopping to fill up etc so thats 17 hrs. That leaves you 7 hrs to grap a motel or sleep in you car. Don't forget with the 3 hr time difference also as you drive.

Just make sure to bring planty of cd's cause there is not much to see and at times you can't even talk on the cell phone cause of lack of coverage areas.:eek: Also leave like 3 or 4 in the morning so you aviod most of the daytime traffic when when you first launch and drive till like 8 or 9 and night! Then sleep till 4 am again and get up and start all over again. At times you may say "WTF" did I drive for put thats the boredom getting to you cause you haven't seen a familiar face, just all hill billies. lol Just take a deep breath and DRIVE till you can't drive no more. lol
If you can get a CB radio like I did you can chat with all the truckers which helps the time past plus they lookout out for smokies which is a big plus and you can easily do 100-120 at times with a good radar and and their help.

I drove 1138 the first day and 900 the 2nd and 3rd. Yes I was tired as hell but it was a good experience. I drove from the Atlantic to Pacific Oceans!!! wooooooo haaaaaaaaa lol

Well that's my 2 cents! I babbled on long enough don't you think.

DRIVE.....I SAID DRIVE....DRIVE.....I SAID DRIVE....DRIVE.....I SAID DRIVE....DRIVE.....I SAID DRIVE....DRIVE.....I SAID DRIVE....DRIVE.....I SAID DRIVE....DRIVE ........................ PUT THE METAL TO THE PEDAL AND DRIVE.
Old 06-26-02, 02:29 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Red face

Oops I meant put the PEDAL TO THE METAL or are the floor boards plastic these days in cars!
Old 06-27-02, 10:56 AM
SSSC430
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your input and stories.
I've call several Lexus dealers in Wash DC area. They told me I cannot buy the spare tire kit because it wasn't for sale.

Any of you have the technical svc bulletin# for the spare tire kit? or part#.

SSSC430
Old 06-27-02, 11:22 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Hey SSSC430,,

Memebr "VQT" is making a drive from PA to L.A. as well. You two should hook up and make the drive out togther if your dates and times are the same. Just a thought. I would contact him if I was you.

:eek:
Old 06-28-02, 01:32 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Unhappy INDIANA TO FLORIDA IN TWO DAYS TIME.........THANKS TO THE GPS!

I was so intrigued by our NAV Syatem that I found myself Deep into South Western KY because I was seduced by that "Long Blue Line" in the GPS, instead of referring to my AAA Trip-Ticket and Route Maps! As a result, I pulled into Atlanta around 1:00 AM in the morning, gassed up at a local station that sold FOSTERS BIG OIL CANS, but NOT after MId-Night! However those nice all-night Brothers at The Local Hiton directed me to "Club 14-11" for something to eat.................little did I know that it was one of the Best Top-Less / Bottem-Less Night Spots on the North East Side!

As I sat peaceably in the corner, watching all of the Exotic Dancers in the Split Mirror, quietly enjoying a plate of Wings and a Frosted Siera Nevada Ale, I unexpectedly and suddenly bit down hard on my Chicken Wing, with "Crystal" whispering in my ear: "Hey Mr. Lexus, feel like getting Lucky tonight?"

I wondered aloud if I would wake up in the morning with the taste of "Gristle" or "Crystal" in my mouth.................

Left Atlanta like LATE in the afternoon, and ran into Four Full Lanes of Traffic for 25 Miles down I-75, and rolled into Bradenton, Florida close to 10:45 PM. Luckly, my Favorite Watering Hole, the Bradenton Ale House served their World Famous Marinated, Mesquite-Fired Half Chicken untill 11:00 PM, which I happily washed down with a few more Half & Halfs, and used the Wish-Bone for a toothpick, dislodging a "Crystal"particle, or some parts unknown from the "Wisdom" Teeth (Right!). Just as I was ready to leave, this pert little Irish Lass appeared on my left and with the nicest Irish brogue asked me: "Hey there Mr. Lexus, would you like to join me in a Guiness over Samual Adams Cherry Wheat, with a Neimester as a Side Car?"

At which point I replied: "How can you turn down a good looking girl like you, at Closing Time, and do my part for International relations?

I pulled into the Florida home serveral days after that, and a "Wax Job" or two later. (Sorry "ZAINO BROTHERS".)

Talk about a "Hard Day's Night!

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 06-28-02 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-28-02, 02:56 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

LOL Ed !!

Better not give any keys to WJS either (Crystal ??)

Quick Reply: moving sc430 from east coast to west coast