SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2003 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-02, 08:24 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Camden and Newark...LMAO, if your parents come from either of those wonderfully diverse and interesting cities chances are you will be recieving food stamps and other goodies on the first of the month.

As for those wheels, if someone wants to sell me another 4 then I just may have a placesetting for 8 come next christmas. I admit there are people who like them and they are different, but so was Corky from Life Goes On.
Old 06-28-02, 08:54 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I, for one, just do not find those wheels as offensive as others do. Yes, I have seen other wheels that are more attractive and some .... hold your breath ... even uglier.

And Silvertoy, being associated with an art gallery has absolutely NOTHING to do with one's taste - in art or anything else.
Old 06-28-02, 09:28 AM
Robbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Phu
Took delivery of my Red/Ecru last week and had the stock rims chromed and they looked great in person. It was worth every penny for the chroming, makes the car and rims look ten times better.
I'm new to all of this--- where does one go about getting the rims chromed?

Thx.
Old 06-28-02, 04:17 PM
Phu
Pole Position

My dealer send their stock rims out to be chromed. When my car came in they had a set of stock rims already chromed and just switched them out for me. It cost me $1700 extra but the dealer gave me a bigger discount on the price of the entire car because I purchased the chrome rims and full clear mask.
Old 06-28-02, 05:08 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silvertoy: "Pothead- possibly as a dentist with hopefully seven cavities in his head- look up the definition- but no decay of the brain- I could be more sensitive to getting water sprayed in my face then other people. If the SC430 is the premium car of the lineup it should have ALL the premium electronics included. That would be my definition of premium. As for the esthetic taste of those ugly wheel covers it takes all kinds but as my other business is an art gallery I am confident of my TASTE as for Solomon with his gold rivets- that sure does sound classy here in Jersey -you will fit right in in Camden & Newark"

Hey Dr. 'Silver Spoon'- Try not to get your shorts in such a wad!

It seems only logical that if you're smart enough to get through Med School, you're assumed to be bright enough to flip on the Wiper Switch, when you first observe that it's raining outside.

Afterall, a Lexus Driver should be able to retain Some control over the fuctions of this Premium Automobile, unless their entire Cranium IS a Cavity..............

It seems to me that the Six Long Years that Mr. Toyoda commissioned the Design Department to research and develop this "Pearl" of the Lexus Fleet, as their "Premium Flagship", were very well recieved with the OEM Wheels and Manual Wiper activation, as evidenced by the obvious fact that, prior to it's actual Release Date in March of last year, over 9,000 of the Original 15,000 First Year Production Models were Presold! Before the end of '01, the First Year's Production evaporated by an eagerly waiting Family of Passionate New Car Owners!

I'll wager that there are now more than 75,000 of those "Ugly" OEM Wheels out there somewhere, and that their Owners still find them very aestheticly pleasing, and an intelligent balence for the overall Stying and Body Lines for this Car, particularly in the three Darker Paints.

They've had over Six Years to match up the Best Looking Wheel to outfit this "Pearl" of their Fleet with, and many of us seem to be very pleased with their results.

Just because one owns / manages a restaurant, does not always qualify them to be a Gourmet, but many who are not these days, like to try and pass as one.

(If the "Crown" fits.........wear it!)

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 06-28-02 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-28-02, 10:45 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by genearch: "Well.. let's let time be the judge...
If Lexus keeps the tin pan wheels for more than 2 model years, they will be considered a success. If they change them within that same time period, they will be considered a dud and Lexus will have found their way with a more suitable replacement. I'd put money on the latter. Don't worry about WJS, he'll then consider his wheels, gold bolts and all as collectors items."

Yep - You're right, as usual Gene!

They'll all be up there together on my Mantle, over the Fire Place, framed on each end with what looks like a pair of Expensive Candle Sticks - a pair of 3.5" x 24" Highly Polished Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips from my '03 Monochromatic Black Onyx Mercury Marauder!

Talk about a Guy that has it all...........

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 06-29-02, 06:30 AM
Silvertoy
Driver School Candidate

for what it is worth the question re: rain sensing wipers was to question why Lexus did not include more electronics on this car. I certainly am not missing rain sensing wipers but would like a controllable shift automatic, adjustable suspension settings, and other functions that make a car more controllable. I am perplexed that Lexus did not choose to offer more options or delete those wheels and pressure sensors for what I might consider better options. I liked my previous Benz because I felt it was more sporty but I didn't want to wait for the new SL and I needed to replace my totalled Benz. Thus I choose the Lexus but am not as impressed with it as I would like to be.
Old 06-29-02, 09:29 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by Silvertoy: "For what it is worth, the question re: rain sensing wipers, was to question why Lexus did not include more electronics on this car. I certainly am not missing rain sensing wipers but would like a controllable shift automatic, adjustable suspension settings, and other functions that make a car more controllable. I am perplexed that Lexus did not choose to offer more options or delete those wheels and pressure sensors for what I might consider better options. I liked my previous Benz because I felt it was more sporty but I didn't want to wait for the new SL and I needed to replace my totalled Benz. Thus I choose the Lexus but am not as impressed with it as I would like to be."

DRST - All kidding aside, I totally agree with you, on a Car of this Class and Price, Lexus Could have taken all of it all a little further, and included the Rain Sensing Wipers, more of a BMW / MB Shifter, and in particular, a Driver-Adjustible Suspension, and thrown them all in for something in the "Early Sixties", and still went through the First Year's Model Run without as much as a "Hic-Cup" of resistance from Lexus's Faithful Family of Owners.

I've driven my '95 325 Ci and '01 330 Ci BMW Convertibles (with the Hard Tops attached) Cross-Country on several occasions, and particulaly through the Mountains, the Adjustible Suspension would have made these trips a great deal more comfortable, at Interstate Speeds close to 100 MPH. I've also found that the Rain-Sensing Wiper Computer sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own, so I sort of prefer having the ability to control When they come on, and in particularly, How Fast!

Perhaps, like many other Automobile Manufacturers, they intend to include more of these "Common-Sense Neccessities" next year, with the Age Old Oriental Market Ploy of "New & Improved", and then add another $ 5 Grand ++ on the Window Price.

They well know now, just as all of us do, that there is Nothing else out there in this Size, Performance, and Feature Class, that is within what - close to $25 K and MORE - for us to turn toward.

I'd rather have them throw in a Space-Saver Tire and Up-Grade the R. F.'s, then worry so much about the OEM Wheels. Yet, the Next One that I'll trade this one in for, will probably have a more "Popular" set of Wheels. But a set that won't make the Car look like a "Hot Rod", rather than a "Luxury / Performance Pearl of the Orient", with such a Unique and High Level of Understated Elegance. My '03 Monochromatic Black Mercury Marauder, loaded with 302 HP, 318 FT-Lb.s of Torgue, and G. A.'s favorite 3.5" x 24" Highly Polished Stainless Steel MEGS Exhaust Tips, and Highly Polished Clear-Coated Aluminum Forged 5-Spoke 8" x 18" HP Wheels, more naturally fills that nitch! (Where Are You, James Dean? This IS Your Car!)

But when that Pesty Dash Light suddenly comes on for the R.F. at speeds approaching it's Top End, or in the case of the Lexus-Recommended Dedicated Winter Driving Tires - the Dunlop Winter Sport II's - at 142 MPH, it throws the Fear of God in you, as you suddenly sense this "Squishey" feeling in the Tires, and wonder if they're about to peel right off of the Wheels at those Speeds.

Maybe some of you guys are right - If those OEM "Trash Can" Wheels don't "Grip" any better than they "Look", with the R. F.'s rolled off of them, I could end up requiring the Medical Skills of a Very Good Dentist!

:eek: :eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 07-03-02 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-03-02, 05:56 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default about those stock wheels

I must admit that I will eventually (probably) get a nice set of Fikse's to replace my stock rims.... BUT I'll keep the stock rims to sell with the car because the Fikse's cost a small fortune and I'd hope to be able to resell them or reuse them on a future car... I kept my stock wheels on my Porsche for the first 2 years and then got a set of Fikse's for it so that is probably what I'll do with my Lexus BUT I am also waiting to see what the new 03 will sport for wheels.... just in case I want a set of those over the Fikse's?

....interesting thing about those stock wheels.... They started on selling on Ebay for between $800 and $1200 a set (without tires) and NOW they are being sold for around $400 to $600... --this is for a full set of 4 with center caps and also often with lugs and locks...

...so the demand just isn't out there for them... meaning that most people don't seem to like them...

you know what? I've seen the sc430 wheels on GS LS sedans and other Lexus sedans and I honestly thought they looked better on them than on my SC430 so go figure?
Old 07-08-02, 03:41 PM
LS/SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Resale price of stock wheels

CEboyd says:

....interesting thing about those stock wheels.... They started on selling on Ebay for between $800 and $1200 a set (without tires) and NOW they are being sold for around $400 to $600... --this is for a full set of 4 with center caps and also often with lugs and locks...

I think the drop in price indicates more than lack of demand-- I think it indicates that lots of people are selling them (because they prefer aftermarket wheels). High supply is probably as big a factor in the price as soft demand.
Old 07-10-02, 10:11 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default yes...

I'm sure that is a big factor too..

....plus Ebay can be funny on pricing... something sells for $400 one day and $800 a week later.. go figure...
Old 07-10-02, 10:20 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 1NICESC430
Y'know, ceboyd ... I agree with you.

I've been trying to hate these wheels months before I got my car when some mag reviewer called them "manhole covers". But I really don't have a problem with them. Tires, yes. But wheels? No.

I do like the fact that they cover all that mechanical stuff underneath.
Hey speaking of wheels I was wondering how much the runflats slow the SC430 down. There is a lot of metal and reinforcement in the tire walls. This rotational mass further out must slow the car down noticeably. Can anyone confirm or debunk this statement? I would think that for city driving just regular tires would not only be more confortable but also get you moving a little faster. You just have to weigh the option of whether or not you would want to get towed in the city if you had a flat.
Old 07-11-02, 11:56 PM
VQPOWER
Rookie

The OEM rims look absolutely awful to me.....They make the car look girly and further enchance the bubbly look........HOWEVER....here in Knoxville, TN, the dealer "fixes" the rims. They cut out the dish part and give the rims spokes, so they look like 5 (or whatever) stars. And the result is SWEET!!!! I am not exaggerating when I say they make the car look 150% better. It's wierd cause the ones with the regular rims are ugly to me and the ones that have the rims "fixed" are absoultely GORGEOUS!! That just goes to show that rims really make the car.