SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 the unloved Child of Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 04:47 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SC430 the unloved Child of Lexus?

Just got my new issue of Automobile Mag, and there is an ad for F parts, listing the LS460, IS, and GS models with a slew of upgrades. Of course they use the picture of the LFA in the background.

As the SC430 is still in production this last year, why no F parts for us. Argue all you want that the SC is not a, "sports" car, it is more of a sports car than anything in that Ad (they are not selling parts for the LFA). How, and why would they omit us? Hard to be brand loyal when the brand is not model loyal.
Old 06-15-10, 07:05 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone in the family has to be treated like a stepchild.
Old 06-15-10, 08:46 PM
TCM55
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

I am sure it is because of it's relatively soon death. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next gen SC has F parts.

If we still had our SC430, I know we would have loved to put some F Sport parts on it (if they were available).
Old 06-15-10, 09:53 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Poor sales of the SC model.
It wouldn't very profitable to make aftermarket parts for our cars.
Old 06-16-10, 02:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by daryltrinh
Poor sales of the SC model.
It wouldn't very profitable to make aftermarket parts for our cars.
That can't be the reason.
Aftermarket parts can be bought for the aged SC300/400 and it's sales history is similar to that of the SC430.
I think it's because of the perceived respect the 430 gets. The styling has been controversial. The size limits many drivers from choosing it. It has been perceived as either a girls or old persons car from many people.
Kinda hard for the aftermarket world to get a handle on it.

Here's my prediction. Time is nearing that 20o2 models will be available for under 20K. Once they get cheaoer, youngsters will buy them in droves. The aftermarket will respond because demand will be there.

That's all there is to it.
Old 06-16-10, 04:23 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Aftermarket parts can be bought for the aged SC300/400 and it's sales history is similar to that of the SC430.
I think it's because of the perceived respect the 430 gets. The styling has been controversial. The size limits many drivers from choosing it. It has been perceived as either a girls or old persons car from many people.

Here's my prediction. Time is nearing that 20o2 models will be available for under 20K. Once they get cheaoer, youngsters will buy them in droves. The aftermarket will respond because demand will be there.

^^I am not so sure about that. With such a limited production run on the SC430 the time and money spent on R and D for genuinely new products wont justify the cost. On top of that probably just 1% or less of all SC430 buyers will spend money on aftermarket products.

In regards to when the car gets older and cheaper and the youngsters will pick them up I dont think this will hold true. There are far more better "bang for your buck" options out there for the "youngsters" that will be cheaper such as the 350Zs and Audi TTs, Boxsters etc.

The SC300 and SC400 did have a demand but it also didnt have the competition now that the SC430 has.

Either way I doubt many companies if any will be doing R and D for new products for the SC430 it just does not make good business sense unless you charge and arm and a leg for it.
Old 06-16-10, 04:46 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not enough of a market, for whatever reason, and doesn't make business sense to develop aftermarket performance products for the 10 people that may buy them. The intended buyer profile for the product isn't likely to mod the car.
Have you tried to buy a sway bar lately? Available some time ago, but no more. The only hope is to develop a group buy and convince somebody to make you ten of something. Or, take the Langsdale route, and make something totally custom with the car.
Otherwise, be happy with an intake, exhaust mods, some wheels, a drop, and 6 second 0-60 times
Old 06-16-10, 06:34 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Mark my words......
Old 06-16-10, 08:14 PM
Shawn808
Driver

^^Same was said of the miata crowd. The miata is the best selling roadster in the world. (world record holder for most produced roadster in history, nothing come close). All the 1st and 2nd gen miata guys were saying that once the miata got old (which it is now) and prices dropped under 5K (which they are at now) a whole rush of young enthusiasts will come out of the woodwork and pick up these light weight 2 door RWD cars and hence in theory that the aftermarket will pick up and a whole bunch of parts will be produced for them. So now that time has come and all those 1st and 2nd generation guys are fighting over flush headlight conversion kits that aren't produced anymore and trying to find used Mazdaspeed parts that are no longer in production. So this "new products being developed" theory didnt pan out and other then a few expensive widebody kits nothing new is being produced. Also keep in mind that this is for a car that sold 1000X more units then the SC430. The reason IMO....these young enthusiasts who pick up older cars (10+ years old) realize that by dumping more money into it isnt going to pay off in the long run. There might be the occasional "ricer" who will dump 50K in a 1989 Civic but the majority of them wont and hence there is no market. Add to that the complexity of our nav and audio systems, the power hardtop and already lack of mods and I highly doubt the SC430 will have a resurgence.

In regards to your comparison of the SC300/400 and the SC430 in the aftermarket, the SC300/400 had HUGE aftermarket support when it was in production in Japan. Many Japanese tuners were making parts for them, much more then the SC430. Also for comparison not many new items were produced 5+ years after the SC300/400 was discontinued. I think where you are seeing the "aftermarket support" for the SC300/400 is just a lingering of the strong aftermarket the SC300/400 had in its prime.
Old 06-16-10, 08:34 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The point I am making is Lexus is creating a new brand, the F, and they are leaving us out. There is no profit in the LFA, it is a Halo car to bring the brand sport cred on the street. The first thing you hear when someone says Lexus is reliable. Not exactly what Lexus is looking for to sell to the under 60 crowd.

I just saw a commercial on TV for the LFA, showing the car breaking glass with a mic on the exhaust. They are not trying to sell LFA's, you can't buy one even if you were willing to throw money at Lexus.

So of all the cars not to offer an F package is the car with sport in her name "SC."

GS = Grand Sedan
LS = Luxury Sedan
ES = Executive Sedan
IS = Intelligent Sedan
SC = Sport Coupe
* Source Blog, not Lexus

Without any enhancements, the SC with only 288 HP manages to move 3840 pounds to 60 in 5.8 seconds, and through the 1/4 mile in 14.3 seconds.
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/SC/2008.html Performance numbers a bit better when you dump the runflats. You can smell the potential, if it only had factory backing.
Old 06-17-10, 09:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
As the SC430 is still in production this last year, why no F parts for us.
The F-Sport line just started last year.

To provide the items for the SC430, a low-production car on its final year of its generation, would be unpopular and unprofitable.
Old 06-17-10, 03:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawn808
^^Same was said of the miata crowd. The miata is the best selling roadster in the world. (world record holder for most produced roadster in history, nothing come close). All the 1st and 2nd gen miata guys were saying that once the miata got old (which it is now) and prices dropped under 5K (which they are at now) a whole rush of young enthusiasts will come out of the woodwork and pick up these light weight 2 door RWD cars and hence in theory that the aftermarket will pick up and a whole bunch of parts will be produced for them. So now that time has come and all those 1st and 2nd generation guys are fighting over flush headlight conversion kits that aren't produced anymore and trying to find used Mazdaspeed parts that are no longer in production. So this "new products being developed" theory didnt pan out and other then a few expensive widebody kits nothing new is being produced. Also keep in mind that this is for a car that sold 1000X more units then the SC430. The reason IMO....these young enthusiasts who pick up older cars (10+ years old) realize that by dumping more money into it isnt going to pay off in the long run. There might be the occasional "ricer" who will dump 50K in a 1989 Civic but the majority of them wont and hence there is no market. Add to that the complexity of our nav and audio systems, the power hardtop and already lack of mods and I highly doubt the SC430 will have a resurgence.

In regards to your comparison of the SC300/400 and the SC430 in the aftermarket, the SC300/400 had HUGE aftermarket support when it was in production in Japan. Many Japanese tuners were making parts for them, much more then the SC430. Also for comparison not many new items were produced 5+ years after the SC300/400 was discontinued. I think where you are seeing the "aftermarket support" for the SC300/400 is just a lingering of the strong aftermarket the SC300/400 had in its prime.
I hope I don't offend Miata owners but I can't see anyone running out to but a small, underpowered, under-appointed car like that regardless of how cheap it is. No way it should be mentioned in the same context as a Lexus SC.
My opinion is derived from what happened with the SC300/400. Not much was available on the aftermarket until we started buying them 5-15 years past it's run. The guys who couldn't afford even a 20K SC waited until they were around 5K. Then they spent 20K modding and refurbishing it. That's waht happend to the 300/400, that's what will happen to the 430.

No one on this site will even look at a Miata. Except you, I guess.
Old 06-17-10, 03:38 PM
Shawn808
Driver

What was developed for the SC300/400 5 to 15 years past its run other then the LED taillights from clearcorners? Items like the vertex kits, teins etc were developed when it was in production...Also note that the SC300/400 can drift (maybe more of a market incentive to develop parts due to the sport) due to its wheelbase and torque. I dont see a "performance sport" driving the development of SC430 parts.

I mentioned the miata because since it is the best selling sports car of all time it would have a greater chance of product development in its later years then other cars would have.

I dont own a miata. But since I am a car guy I dont judge cars based simply on price or luxury etc. Drive one and you will understand.
Old 06-17-10, 05:23 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawn808

I dont own a miata. But since I am a car guy I dont judge cars based simply on price or luxury etc. Drive one and you will understand.
I can't fit in one and it isn't very attractive imo. Wouldn't be caught near one.
Old 06-17-10, 05:57 PM
Shawn808
Driver

I can't fit in one and it isn't very attractive imo. Wouldn't be caught near one.
To each their own. Too bad its a great car. 2nd most balanced overall car I had driven next to a elise.