SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

car wount start after timing belt job

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 06:54 PM
sam514
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wount start after timing belt job

hi brought my car to dealer for a timing belt job, they first called me today saying the car wount start cuz off my plugs so they changed the plugs and again called and said it still wount start and dont know wat it is!!
what should i expect from this?
tnx
Old 06-23-10, 07:19 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tell them it ran when you drove it in and they need to figure out what htey did to it to make it not run. cars don't just stop running unless someone messed up something on the t belt job. cranks sensor, cam sensor, etc not connected. Is this a Lexus dealer? It's hard to believe they have anyone doing t belts who doens't know what they're doing. As a former Lexus tech, all you have to do is say it's obviously not your fault, nor the cars fault since it ran fine before they worked on it. They'll fix it.
Old 06-23-10, 09:04 PM
sam514
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
tell them it ran when you drove it in and they need to figure out what htey did to it to make it not run. cars don't just stop running unless someone messed up something on the t belt job. cranks sensor, cam sensor, etc not connected. Is this a Lexus dealer? It's hard to believe they have anyone doing t belts who doens't know what they're doing. As a former Lexus tech, all you have to do is say it's obviously not your fault, nor the cars fault since it ran fine before they worked on it. They'll fix it.
thanks for the advise. but that issue is settle already, they know the car was running perfectlly when it went in cuz they drove it inside.so they know they did something wrong, just sucks that i have to wait till they figure out what? and what if they manage to start it but caused damage to the engine that i wount know?!?!
and yes this is one off the biggest lexus dealer in my area.
Old 06-24-10, 04:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

if it caused any damage, you'd know immediately! the only thing that could happen is bent valves from being out of time. If they drive it up the service lane to you and it sounds fine, then it's fine.
it was probably just a cam or crank sensor they left unplugged accidentally.
Old 06-24-10, 05:24 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Somebody should get written up for that, or lose their job.. unacceptable!!
Old 06-24-10, 08:21 AM
sam514
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
if it caused any damage, you'd know immediately! the only thing that could happen is bent valves from being out of time. If they drive it up the service lane to you and it sounds fine, then it's fine.
it was probably just a cam or crank sensor they left unplugged accidentally.
i hope you right. ill find out soon or later.
Old 06-24-10, 08:22 AM
sam514
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azkaty
Somebody should get written up for that, or lose their job.. unacceptable!!
this i agree 100% the only reason i brought the car to lexus and not some mickey mouse garage is for this not to hapend!i said to myself i rather pay more but no trouble.guess i was wrong,two days so far and still no car nor any idea what it is!
Old 06-24-10, 09:22 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As someone who has had two disappointing incidents with the Lexus service folks in my area I offer a suggestion. I would ask that the failure to start problem and its root cause is written up and entered into the Lexus service database. Then you will have it on record that a problem was introduced in the course of performing your service. Even if they return it to you in what seems to you to be good order you don't want to pay for possible related or collateral damages later. Get a thorough explanation of what was actually wrong on your repair order that you keep. I would do this even if you've already received your car back and it seems perfect.

The incident you've described is a textbook opportunity for all manner of good will compensation from your dealer. Examples: free timing belt job, free spark plugs, free next service, etc. Hope that wasn't overlooked but more importantly I hope you get your car back running as it should.
Old 08-08-10, 08:44 AM
sam514
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LSin75075
any update on what they did?
sorry wasnt online for a while.
well took theme 4 working days to figure out the guy forgot to plug something.
when i asked what plug it was i had a million stories, they never clearlly told me what it was, no loaner, no discount ,not even a simple apology!!
but hey thats customer service in montreal loll
Old 08-10-10, 12:06 AM
Wesssup
Rookie

Yeah that's wack, especially for the prices they charge at the stealership. I would definitely complain.