SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Spare Tire For the SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 12:24 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Never really thought of that, thanks. I guess I could always tow the car home to the spare if I get a flat local. LB has been pretty lucky for me, I have already picked up two nails without going flat. I guess it is worth it for being able to use my trunk again.
Hi Kaiser,

This is exactly what I am 'doing.'

sixonemale put me onto a spare online that I am currently negotiating the price/shipping with the seller. And I do plan on buying it.

As I have previously posted, I have the BMW kit that includes a compressor and etc, etc for dealing with a flat tire.

However, for the low price ( I hope ) that I can get this spare tire only ( nothing but the tire & wheel, no covers, etc ), I can now have the option of taking a spare with me when on a trip.

A local tire store ( Les Schwab ) has very heavy-duty yellow plastic bags & I will get one for the spare to keep it stored when not in the car & for keeping everything clean when it is in the car. Plus bright yellow is easy to find up in the attic.

Some call it the 'belt & suspenders' approach to this problem.

Jerry Baumchen
The following users liked this post:
Stuckn60s (05-09-24)
Old 10-12-10, 04:51 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
Kaiser, As I may have mentioned previously, I also bit the bullet and picked up an actual brand new SC430 spare with some of the trunk trimmings for $200. I could not agree more that when I put the spare in the trunk, I really miss the trunk space, hence the reason I will not put it in the trunk unless I travel on very long trips, or outside of the 100 mile AAA towing range.
Hi sixonemale ( Neal to his friends ),

OK, this is really a little story of how Neal/sixonemale helped me in getting a Space-Saver spare tire/wheel for my car.

He mentioned in a previous post about how he had bought one for back-up. So I sent him a PM and he replied that they could sometimes be found on craig's-list for ~$100 or so. We exchanged a few PM's and he said that there was one in Alabama for sale. I tried to find it on craig's-list but could not ( I'm not much of a computer guy ) so I PM'd Neal again and he sent me back the link. I then began negotiating with the guy in Alabama who would not budge on his asking price of $150 + ~$45 for shipping to Oregon. I then sorta remembered that Neal had PM'd me earlier that there might be one for sale in Oregon for ~$40. So I jumped back on craig's-list and found a Supra one for $35. I called them, it was a speed shop only about 3 miles from where I live, went over to buy it, asked for a senior-discount & got it for $30.

Neal, THANK YOU so much for all of your help on this. This site is a great place for us SC430 owners.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Tomorrow I'm off to Les Schwab for one of their bright yellow, heavy-duty plastic bags to keep the tire in.
Old 10-13-10, 08:49 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed my spare tire kit with little hassle yesterday and this morning I had a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on... what a difference! Like riding on a cloud.

I asked but they declined to let me burn the RFTs in the parking lot.

Cost of Spare tire kit: $729.
Cost of new tires: $900
Ride quality and peace of mind: Priceless.
Old 10-14-10, 05:49 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
I installed my spare tire kit with little hassle yesterday and this morning I had a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires put on... what a difference! Like riding on a cloud.

I asked but they declined to let me burn the RFTs in the parking lot.

Cost of Spare tire kit: $729.
Cost of new tires: $900
Ride quality and peace of mind: Priceless.
76210, what tire sizes??? Please include the pics of your new set. Thanks. I'm thinking of getting a new set of tires as well.
Old 10-14-10, 07:42 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will do when I get time to take a photo today!

I put them on OEM wheels (because I intend to keep this car bone stock), so no wheel change. The tires are Continental Extreme Contact DWS - I paid $173/ea for them, plus mounting, balancing and had the TPM rebuilt (whatever that meant at $7/wheel) as well as paid $29/ea for a replacement warranty. I probably over paid but at around $900 I thought, what the heck.. In for a penny, in for a pound.

The tires are 245/40-18s all around.
Old 10-14-10, 10:13 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

While not a picture, this TSB shows you a drawing of the Lexus Spare Tire kit, parts and installation procedure. When I picked mine up it took about ½ hour to install. Biggest headache was not damaging the gray retaining clips when removing then from their seated position. If you follow the link in my signature line there a some photos of the kit installed.
Attached Files
Old 10-15-10, 11:18 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Biggest headache was not damaging the gray retaining clips when removing then from their seated position.
If you pick up one of those clip removal tool kits (like from Harbor Freight for less than $5 or $10), popping out those clips is much easier. I managed to remove all mine for the trunk and the window seals on the front windows around the rearview mirrors without losing one!