SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Looking to get an SC 430

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-10, 08:52 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff1F2
Well, I'm a sociologist with a heavy concentration in statistics, but I come here to relax, not to work. I would do the analysis you suggested, but the data gathering is a PITA. However, I'll make you a deal; if you want to gather the data into an Excel file, I'll do the stats.
A generous offer, but as you said, I think our time is better spent on other things, such as driving these beautiful cars. Have a great 4th, and sorry for the thread hijack
Old 07-04-10, 09:37 AM
thelopez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drive a 06 on the freeway going from fast to faster, although it hardly happens, I didn't like it. I got rid of my 2004 RX330 because I didn't like the transmission shifting and will not get anything that resembles its confused shifting pattern. If you are willing to go over 25k, there is an 06 in Irvine, Ca Subaru dealer, for 28k. You can spend $150 on a flight to save thousands. Check Auto trader. At that price you be just above your 30k budget including tax and transfer. Personally I'd go with an 04-05 and put the money into mods like backup cam, NAV upgrade, suspension, and reserve maintenance. This car will cost you about $900 a year to drive based if you keep it forever.
Old 07-04-10, 11:44 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey - again - many thanks for all the insights.

Weird isn't it?

I've never thought much about the SC - even bought and sold a new Mustang GT convertible in the last three years ( I know - not in the same league..) and almost always had a rag-top in my stable.

But now that I've started to look into SC 430's . . I'm getting SC 430 fever.

Any known cure?
Old 07-04-10, 02:27 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
But now that I've started to look into SC 430's . . I'm getting SC 430 fever.

Any known cure?
Yes, buy a SC430. Of course, then the "fever" converts from getting one to pampering and primping it.
Old 07-06-10, 09:46 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

XFEA: Caution: SC's are VERY addictive! I'm on my second. Plan on getting a third someday unless the G37 convertible gets much more affordable or a 911 997 Cab does. Each slight change/update is nicely done on this car and you will find that you never get tired of the looks and the plush, luxurious interior with quality materials. I always tell people who don't know the SC well that it is really like 3-cars in one! Top up, put it in drive and you have a quiet, luxurious daily coupe driver. Top down, put it in drive and cruise. Top down (or up, but sounds better when it's down) and manually shift, turn off VDC and you've got a 300hp v8 roadster that growls when you push her to the limits!

The SC doesn't do it all, but the things it does do it does BEST hands down!

I really can't think of too may cons about our cars. THEY ARE WHAT THEY ARE! If you want a car with a big trunk, then get a SUV or a Sedan. If you want a car that's much faster, get a vette. If you want a car that's extremely techy, get a BMW or Infiniti. Whatever you get instead of, believe me-I know, you will have many more sacrafices. I sold my first SC with hopes to replace it with a Porsche 911, Maserati Spyder or Infiniti G37 Convertible. All three I had issues with and ended up buying another SC430!!!

Run flats are harsh-most take them off and put regular tires on IF they keep stock size wheels, and if they don't then the whole look, ride and feel of the car is different! Problem solved: Get 20" staggered chrome wheels on eBay and tires for $2k. Sell your stock wheels and tires for $500-$750 on eBay, craigslist, etc. Best mod ever!

Small trunk space with top down? Don't put the top down if you need to go grocery shopping OR...use the back seats/front seat for some grocery bags. It won't kill you. Looking good always costs!

Spare tire issue-buy a Certified Pre Owned with new tires and road hazard. That way you are covered on both ends-the towing and the tire replacement! Screw the spare

No iPod connection-you can add easily with the Vais iPod adapter. $200+ installation.

Need more power-limited modifications but there are a few. On a used car I would start with getting the car back to running the way it SHOULD stock-plugs, filters, fluids etc etc. Then I would start with exhaust and intake.

Here are some price break points and years...

$20k-you should be able to get a 2002-2003 with decent miles. Look for the big service intervals-30k/60k done. On a 2002 they SHOULD have changed the timing belt.

$25k-you should be able to get a super pristine 2002-2003 or a good 2004-2005

****2005 is the last year of the 1st Gen SC430 and offers bluetooth and updated nav.

2006 as mentioned has some great updates-but if you find the 2005 you want, IMO get it and save the money and add the LED tail lights later. You can still shift the 2002-2005 c-gate shifters manually and they (IMO) are a lot more sporty than the ES-like shifters in the 2006+. Front bumper and headlights are a major undertaking if you want to update. Most 2002-2005 owners have wheels and tail lights updated. Many have iPod integration modification (or aux cable) as well. These are all relatively simple and can be relatively inexpensive modifications. Quick estimate for 20" staggered wheels/tires, LED tail lights and iPod Vais Unit: $3k. So...you can get a 2005 looking like a 2006+ and save some considerable cash in the process, still have bluetooth and nav like an 06.

$30k-get a 2006-2007 with average miles...probably not super pristine.

$35k-2006-2007 super pristine...2008's will be $40k.

If you can afford, the 2006+ are great with the updated nav/bluetooth manumatic transmission and updated LED tail lights and more modern headlights, although some (me included) like the old school shifting of the 2002-2005. 2005 gives you updated nav system (same until 2008) and the bluetooth. Pebble Beach, Neiman Marcus are rare special edition versions that are cool too.

What you may get tired of is the lack of significant upgrades and/or power increases, but there are so many other things that the SC has and most drop tops don't do well that you just learn to live with it. Like a 300hp v-8 is that bad, huh??

My final advice/tip would be to weigh and value "piece of mind" to yourself before you start looking. Do you want to buy a lower mileage uncertain history used car from a wholesaler for a great price...but later have issues pop up that aren't covered under warranty or you find out normal maintenance wasn't done and you have to shell out $1200 for a big 30k service???? Or....this is my choice....buy a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned and have insurance for 3 years and up to 100k miles from the time of puchase, bumper to bumper with loaner car, roadside assistance, etc.

I look at the following sites when I shop:

www.craigslist.org
www.ebay.com
www.cars.com
www.autotrader.com

Then I benchmark against the best at the GREAT lexus CPO site:

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/index.html

I rarely use KBB, NADA or Edmunds for pricing. Pricing for this car is all over the board...you can have a 2002 selling for what a 2005 sells for and so on. Learn the cars, history, maint, mileage, etc. first then you'll know a good deal when you see one.

CPO's take the guesswork out of it-163 point refurbishment and refinement. Most CPO's are immaculate inside and out and have had the very costly major services, tires, brakes, etc done already-plus the piece of mind. Check that out!

Good luck and if there is a particular car you are looking for I'd be glad to help you!
Old 07-07-10, 05:13 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SCdroptop..missed you around..happy to see you here!

Kath
Old 07-07-10, 12:49 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is sales dropped off because they built such a reliable, timeless, stylist car, buyers didn't need to fork over 68K for a new one when it was possible to pick-up one used for half the price. I looked at this car early on and decided it was out of my price range, but then jumped on it a couple years later.

It is hard to see the difference between an 02 or 06. Mine....an 03 w/50K miles thinks it is a new car, feels and acts like a new car...why would I want anything different? Some day I may consider a sedan and it will more than likely be a Lexus unless the US manufactures get their act together.
Old 07-07-10, 02:48 PM
thelopez
Rookie

My freeway explanation was kind of broken, what I meant was, the 06 will sometimes drop two gears to accelerate when on the freeway, which is why I went to the pre 06 and save about 12k The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of rear quarter windows control. My 1998 Sebring had rear window controls and I miss them.

I think convertibles in general are addicting. I learned to drive on a 1975 GMC full convertible, then went to a 85k not full, then to a convertible dodge shadow, then to a convertible sebring, now to a sc430. Going to the sebring, i will never go back to a plastic window, now with the hard top, I'll find it hard to go back to a rag top. Living in socal I put 100 miles on my sebring and only had to put the top up due to cold temps 5 times, which included a drive into the mountains and a drive to Vegas a couple of times. Now with these heated seat, I won't have to worry about temperatures anymore.
Old 07-11-10, 02:17 PM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
02-04 handmade, European leathers and woods. 05+ materials sourced from China in a robotic automated plant. No known quality difference. I kind of like the idea of owning things built by people who cared about what they were building. Just a little sentimental on my part.
Whaaaat? Where did that come from? Did a search for "handmade" and Hand built, came up with nothing. No offense, but seems very unlikely.
Old 07-11-10, 07:19 PM
scdroptop

I thought I read the first 2002's made in Q3-Q4 2001 only were handmade but the Lucky Bastard (knowing Kaiser) has shown us that she's a very special car! Maybe that's where the Rolex and Glock came from? Someone was preparing it as a getaway car from the factory in Kanto Jidosha Japan!!!

I've driven about ten SC's...many different years and owned an early 2002 that was supposed to be hand made and now my 2005 and honestly I had more troubles (knock on wood) on my 2002 with much lower miles than my 2005. They all seemed the same to me as far as quality. Like staying at Four Seasons...whether you are in Miami or Dallas or New York or the Virgin Islands...they are ALL GREAT! Quality of materials is about the same. The dealer told me based on my build date of my 02 it was handmade. The SC went on sale March 15th, 2001. My 02 was built Dec 2001 and delivered/sold in July 2002 just to give you an idea.
Old 07-11-10, 07:24 PM
scdroptop

Talking

[QUOTE=thelopez;5622894]My freeway explanation was kind of broken, what I meant was, the 06 will sometimes drop two gears to accelerate when on the freeway, which is why I went to the pre 06 and save about 12k The thing that bothers me the most is the lack of rear quarter windows control. My 1998 Sebring had rear window controls and I miss them.
QUOTE]

I agree on the downshifting. My 2009 FX35 Infiniti has a 7speed manumatic and I actually hate driving in D for this reason. Going up a hill or a ramp at about 50-60mph you have to stomp on it and then it drops way down to 5th or even 4th to pick up steam.

When I decided on my last 2005 I REALLY wanted a 2006. I labored on and on (many of you remember) about the 05 Pebble Beach I bought and a sweet 2006 White. Bottom line was that I felt that c-gate manual shifting of the 2002-2005 models were much more responsive and "sporty" than the 2006-2010 tranny.

I wish if we had some say back in 2004 when they were working on the plans to re-vamp the 2006+ SC430 we could have told them to put the IS manu-matic shifter in the SC and make a SC460, AUX cable etc etc etc. We all have our wish lists, right??? The manu-matic shifter on the SC closely resembles my mother in laws ES330 than it does the IS250 loaner car I get. Either way, shifting is much much more fun IMO!
Old 07-13-10, 04:59 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No offense taken. That info is from Harbour Reports and no I have never heard of them before. I have access to Lexis/Nexis at work which pulls up some strange stuff from trade publications. Personally I can barely tell the difference between an 02 and 2010. As far as lucky bastards previous owner, no idea who he was. The Vin pulls up a lease company and my poor girl was sold at auction in a tax sale. I work in an office shared with customs and the drug dogs have no interest in my car so at least she was not a mule. I have since learned that I have a few bits that are not stock, but nothing that great. When I had my GPS replaced they had to take out the seats and I was hoping for another secret stash, just found a Nina Simone CD. Anyway here is the repeat post...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...omparison.html

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 07-13-10 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 01:07 PM
thejace
Rookie

Just FYI, i got a 03 black sc430 w 57k miles for 21k. I live near washington dc, so living costs are high here too