SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stereo project begins...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 12:47 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droptopsc2
how did they get the nav to work with the new radio?
They had to use part of the stock head unit.
Old 08-03-10, 12:56 PM
Alterious
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what part would that be?
Old 08-04-10, 06:41 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alterious
what part would that be?
a 4K ohm resister, four 23ufd capacitors, a 12volt relay, a 555 timer op-amp...ok, I really don't know which parts
Old 08-04-10, 07:17 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Below are some pics showing what phase the install is in right now.

Next phase will be done by myself, the 1st phase was done by Crazy Stereo in Fountain Valley CA.

They did an AMAZING job! Very professional, friendly and most important - they know their stuff! The owner (Becker) is real cool, the sales person (Brian) is very confident and knew right away what needed to be done - same goes for the installer (David). Al was really good with coordintaing everything. I'm usually bad with names, but these guy left a fabulous impression on me! I whole-heartedly recommend these guys! I've had more exotic eletronics installed in my IS300, but I am more pleased with this one.

The dash kit where the aftermarket head unit is in is NOT finished yet. The finish will be the same finish as the wood trim, and it will be real wood that's laquered. What you are seeing now is an MDF board that's holding the stereo in place, and what you can't see is that it holds the sliding door and its mechanisms in place.

I will advise that this particular unit has a large **** in the center that protudes out so much that the door cover is just a few millimeters shy of closing completely. It's bearly noticable. So this is something to consider if purchasing this unit. With the removable theft deterrent face removed, the door closes no problem.

Not pictured, but the amp is on a towel in the back seat. I'll be building an amp rack back there, plus mounting the passive x-overs for very near future aftermarket component speakers for the doors (Dynaudio or Hertz are what I am likely to purchase at this time). Having everything back there makes fine tuning the system MUCH easier, plus it leaves my MASSIVE trunk with plenty of room for things like when I purchase furniture or want to throw my surfboard back there!! ( and not get the system wet!)
Attached Thumbnails Stereo project begins...-edp1000610.jpg   Stereo project begins...-edp1000611.jpg   Stereo project begins...-edp1000612.jpg   Stereo project begins...-edp1000613.jpg  

Last edited by Peter_Klim; 08-04-10 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 08:29 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Yesterday I bought some new Dynaudio speakers for the doors.

I'll install them once I receive my Dynamat Xtreme to deaden the door.
Attached Thumbnails Stereo project begins...-edp1000616.jpg   Stereo project begins...-edp1000618.jpg  
Old 08-08-10, 08:39 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

And today I started working on a shelve to hold the amp, x-over, sub and maybe my 5 band parametric EQ (not sure if I want to install it).

The part that took the longest was getting the dimensions. If anyone wants them, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Stereo project begins...-edp1000619.jpg  

Last edited by Peter_Klim; 08-08-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 08:42 PM
Alterious
Driver

yeah i don't think anyone of us here are as brave as you to do something like that lol
Old 08-08-10, 11:14 PM
justinbig8
Driver School Candidate

Sweet! Would love to have the dimensions for the amp box!! I am thinking of doing something very similar. I like the idea of making the rear seats good for something, haha. And since I'm a few miles from Fountain Valley I'll be checking out that shop for sure.
Old 08-09-10, 08:27 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

dumb question, but is there a way to simply replace the current amp (in the trunk) with your new one? I understand, the OEM amp is connected to lots of things not audio, but considering the lack of usable space, swapping the new for the old amp would be the way to go, if at all possible.

that said, I bet you know what you're doing, peter.
so, what are the problems with 'swapping' rather than 'adding' the amps?
Old 08-09-10, 09:44 AM
t119
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
t119, how did the install go?
Sorry this took so long. I've been moving and things have been pretty hectic haha.

But the installation is almost done. I still have to finish putting in a few things such as a more powerful amp for my sub and a satellite radio hook up.

Once my SC was in the shop and half way through installation, the shop realize that in order to get a working top screen (where our stock nav is), I needed a different unit than the JVC. I ended up getting a clarion nx700 double din unit. The reason being because it is capable of playing on two different screens at once (i.e. DVD up top screen and navigation on bottom screen).

I am planning on taking the car in again when all of my parts are in, which should be sometime this week. Once I have everything in, I will be sure to have a write up on my system.

BTW, I have a bunch of mark levinson parts sitting around that are ready to be shipped out to a new home
Old 08-09-10, 09:51 AM
Alterious
Driver

i like that nx700, i might look into it. can you ask them how they are planning on getting the nav screen to work with ur headset? i might try to get the same type of setup going here. i've been looking at the pioneer double dins they have some nice ones.
Old 08-09-10, 12:30 PM
t119
Rookie

i like that nx700, i might look into it. can you ask them how they are planning on getting the nav screen to work with ur headset? i might try to get the same type of setup going here. i've been looking at the pioneer double dins they have some nice ones.
I have the car now and have been enjoying my new stereo, but I am taking it back in to get the extras put in. So as far as display and functionality, That is all figured out.

I really like the unit thus far. I kind of wish it had **** for volume (I am unaware of any solution to get the steering wheel controls to work with after market stereo equipment). It's also handy that it has tilt features. What had to happen to have both screens to work is for the original screen to come out of the nav mount and for an aftermarket non-touch screen to be put in. I was bummed out when i realized that the only thing that will play on that screen is DVD, but it still is pretty cool. I haven't researched any other units that have split-screen capability, but you have to have one for both screens to be functional.

And also, of the top screen, the only button that still works is the tilt button. To get the wood pannel to go up and down, I had a button installed in the ash try along with a video bypass button.
Old 08-09-10, 06:20 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

yeah i don't think anyone of us here are as brave as you to do something like that lol
Nah, it's a piece of cake. Just need paper, pencil, ruler, scissors, roto-zip, MDF and only about 15 minutes (now that I have a template made for you to use )
Old 08-09-10, 06:23 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by justinbig8
Sweet! Would love to have the dimensions for the amp box!! I am thinking of doing something very similar. I like the idea of making the rear seats good for something, haha. And since I'm a few miles from Fountain Valley I'll be checking out that shop for sure.

Then you're only a few miles away from me. Stop by and we can hit home depot to get the MDF board and I'll trace it for you. If you don't have a roto-zip we can cut it at my place.
Old 08-09-10, 06:29 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimmer!
dumb question, but is there a way to simply replace the current amp (in the trunk) with your new one? I understand, the OEM amp is connected to lots of things not audio, but considering the lack of usable space, swapping the new for the old amp would be the way to go, if at all possible.

that said, I bet you know what you're doing, peter.
so, what are the problems with 'swapping' rather than 'adding' the amps?
I wanted the amp in the back seat so it would be easier to tweak it. I dodn't want to run back and forth from cockpit to trunk to adjust amp's gains and x-over points and then listen, then tweak again. The same thing with the tweeter's attenuation - they be mounted in the back seat amp rack instead of the front doors. I especially don't want to keep removing the door panels to tweak the tweeters.

I will still be able to place things on top of the amp rack when it's ll done.

Plus, I don't want the amp to over heat in the stock location.

Quick Reply: Stereo project begins...