SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stereo project begins...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 06:59 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stereo project begins...

I ordered a little Alpine MRP-F300 amplifier from Crutchfield. Only $200, and as low as it goes for an authorized online dealer sells them.

What was cool is that they threw in a pair of $100 Alpine 6 1/2" speakers for free! I'm sure they'll sound as good or better than the stock fronts, and I can get them to fit. But I'll probably just sell them and use the cash for something much nicer.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF....html?tp=35782

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPG1...-SPG-17C2.html

I also ordered from another online autherized dealer (Pacific Stereo) an alpine iPod controller head unit iDA-X305. Most double dins are all touch screen and I like ***** so I can control it by feel and not have to take my eyes off the road. Plus, in my personal opinion, I can make it look nicer in the dash if I don't fill up the entire space with a huge rectanglular doble din sized box ( the stock is a trapezoid and it just looks weird with a double din because your left with 2 small triangle shapes - 1 on each side or the stereo). I got $100 off the deck.

I need to do some measurements to see what size (10 or 12") woofer to get. I'm going for SQ (as always) instead of loudness so an Image Dynamics IDQ series is as good, and the price is right when on sale for just $150.

I can do most of the install myself. The main thing I won't be doing is making a dash kit (well, I won't make the frame, but will work on the finish myself). Kit fabrication with head unit install will go for around $200.

I hope that this information will help anyone looking to replace/upgrade/integrate that there are inexpensive alternative that cost soooo little and sound sooooo much better than stock. You can easly spend half of what the stock unit goes for and have pretty much one of THEE BEST sounding system possible (not the loudest or flashiest, but best sounding).

PS- If I were younger, and my ears were healthy enough to enjoy it, I'd spend more money on even better amps but I now only save that for home stereo. But the one I chose above is a killer amp for its price (and much better that the stock any day)
Attached Thumbnails Stereo project begins...-alpine.jpg  

Last edited by Peter_Klim; 10-01-10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 05:25 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm excited to see your finished product.

I know you've spent a lot of time doing research. Good to see someone not rushing into a project without figuring out the details first.
Old 07-12-10, 10:57 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter_Klim,

What will you do for your NAVI Integration?

I'd love to upgrade the system in our SC but I'm concerned about the integration of all the systems. Stereo, Navi, Steering Wheel controls

Thanks!
Old 07-12-10, 02:10 PM
t119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter_Klim,

I am also starting a stereo upgrade this week. In case you are interested, I am going with a JVC unit with built-in google maps technology. The installer is going to replace the current navigation screen that is in our sc's with a non-touch screen that will serve as a host for the new navigation system. The unit will allow any modern technology that you could possibly want.

Here is a link to the unit:

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=126&page=1

The install will be done by the end of the week and I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 07-12-10, 04:41 PM
Alterious
Driver

great my front speakers and tweeters are done for and i would like to get a new navigation system too. i've been thinking about going with a double din system so i am curious to see you guys' finished projects.
Old 07-12-10, 06:25 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
Peter_Klim,

What will you do for your NAVI Integration?

I'd love to upgrade the system in our SC but I'm concerned about the integration of all the systems. Stereo, Navi, Steering Wheel controls

Thanks!
Hi tfeni,

I hadn't looked at Nav models yet, but I would get a portable unit, mount it in the stock bezel so it looks perfectly stock and then wire it DC direct. I'd rather do that, then spend $300+ on a "DVD" to upgrade the map (I don't know if the graphic design will look any better).

My shop is telling me that for $120 I can get a SWI ( steering wheel interface). I reserached this surprise and I don't think there is one for any year SC430 (there definitely are for other Lexus models, but usually for ones no older than 5 years).

SWI is nice, but I can easily live w/o. $20 and you can get a really small wireless remote (yeah, not as nice). But if your electronicaly inclined, you could farily easily get the stearing wheel remote control connected to the wireless control...

There are plenty of ways to make an after market radio and nav to work so that the nav voice comes out of speakers but I never use the voice so I'm ok w/o it. Best bet, on the consertive side, would be to get a head unit with the nav built in.

I would want to keep the nav in the original location because it would be easier to keep your eyes on the road, but if it were built in with the stereo, I don't think there's enough room up there (depth) for it to fit. That's why I'm going for separates. Just like home stereos, getting separate components allows one to upgrade just the one piece or replace the one piece that might have broken. You can get exactly what you want buying separate components.

My system isn't for everyone, but it will definitely be Much less expensive and Much better in sound quality and (for me) will have better features than the ~10 year old tape deck
Old 07-12-10, 06:35 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t119
Peter_Klim,

I am also starting a stereo upgrade this week. In case you are interested, I am going with a JVC unit with built-in google maps technology. The installer is going to replace the current navigation screen that is in our sc's with a non-touch screen that will serve as a host for the new navigation system. The unit will allow any modern technology that you could possibly want.

Here is a link to the unit:

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?mo...hId=126&page=1

The install will be done by the end of the week and I will let you guys know how it goes.

Looks pretty sweet! Looks like it has every feature pne could ask for...excpet for cassette and 8-track! I'll be looking towards seeingthe finished install!

Did you consider this Alpine? The entire unit has a motor so it titls up and down. Could come in handy with the unit lower in the dash than the nav stock location. Cost a little less than the JVC.

INA-W900
Attached Thumbnails Stereo project begins...-alp.jpg  
Old 07-12-10, 06:40 PM
Alterious
Driver

pioneer makes a sweet system and they have a shopping wizard on their website. did u consider any of the pioneer double din stuff?
Old 07-12-10, 06:54 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Alterious
pioneer makes a sweet system and they have a shopping wizard on their website. did u consider any of the pioneer double din stuff?
I looked at most of the 1/2 dins, including Pioneer.

But like I posted earlier, I would want 2 separate units for reasons posted above. Plus, at $250 ($350 reg) for the head unit with all the feature it has for an Alpine, you can't go wrong. I have/had the same model in my other cars for about a year now (took it out of my LS400 and put it in my Rav4) and I'm very satisfied. $250 for a good portable nav on sale and that's only $500 for 2 components going exactly where I want them to be mounted, and easy to upgrade in the future w/o having to upgrade it all (and most double dins go for ~$1000) and pay for features I don't want.
Old 07-12-10, 10:05 PM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

seems like a nice unit.. i myself am considering pioneer avh 4200 dvd... but am not sure if i want a big screen hanging out in the open for outside ppl to see.. like something more discrete that come motor out so it's not obvious....

but then i might be overthinking it....: >
Old 07-12-10, 11:24 PM
t119
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
Looks pretty sweet! Looks like it has every feature pne could ask for...excpet for cassette and 8-track! I'll be looking towards seeingthe finished install!

Did you consider this Alpine? The entire unit has a motor so it titls up and down. Could come in handy with the unit lower in the dash than the nav stock location. Cost a little less than the JVC.

INA-W900
I actually did not see that unit. I did look at some alpine products (like the vehicle hub that a CL member installed in their sc), but the shop that is doing the installation got me really excited abut the JVC unit. The JVC also has a removable face plate which is pretty neat.

I am supposed to have full functionality of tilt features and dash panels so I didn't even think about the lower unit needing to tilt if i choose to run the navigation in its current stock position.

I will for sure be posting pictures and a write up on the installation shortly after I enjoy it for a little
Old 07-13-10, 06:39 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t119
I actually did not see that unit. I did look at some alpine products (like the vehicle hub that a CL member installed in their sc), but the shop that is doing the installation got me really excited abut the JVC unit. The JVC also has a removable face plate which is pretty neat.

I am supposed to have full functionality of tilt features and dash panels so I didn't even think about the lower unit needing to tilt if i choose to run the navigation in its current stock position.

I will for sure be posting pictures and a write up on the installation shortly after I enjoy it for a little
Can't wait to see it!!
Old 08-01-10, 09:52 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

t119, how did the install go?
Old 08-01-10, 10:27 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

So, feeling lazy and wanting to finally have a free weekend with no responsiblities after working overtime for years without extra pay, I decided to let the pros do most of the install.

I'll be doing the front door speakers, the subwoofer box and the amp rack plus putting a finish on the dash kit.

What was done today was having the head unit installed with a dash kit, amp wired up (but not mounted yet. It's just sitting on the rear seat) and having both doors that hide the nav and stereo work. The stock nav will be kept for now (and they got it working with the Alpine headu unit installed).

I'll take some install pics when I get a chance. And I'll do a YouTube video too, but only till it is done (or at least most of it).

For now, this is just some of the equipment I have:
Attached Thumbnails Stereo project begins...-ep1000603.jpg   Stereo project begins...-ep1000597.jpg   Stereo project begins...-ep1000600.jpg   Stereo project begins...-ep1000599.jpg  

Last edited by Peter_Klim; 08-01-10 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 08:08 AM
droptopsc2
Driver School Candidate

how did they get the nav to work with the new radio?

Quick Reply: Stereo project begins...