SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Service at Toyota Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 06:40 PM
jfmjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service at Toyota Dealer

Any thoughts on local Toyota Dealer replacing timing belt, water pump, related parts? The cost seems substantially less than Lexus dealer.
Old 07-15-10, 07:00 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Each Dealer usually has a quality control representative or a Professional Toyota Service Consultants working within their service department. These guys have more knowledge than the service writers. I'd go to the dealer and talk to one of these guys.

That being said, these are all toyota motors. The service tech have access to the same online databases. The only thing missing is day to day experience working on Lexus models vs Toyotas.

And of course, make sure the warranty on the work is equal to, or greater than what you'd receive at the Lexus shop.
Old 07-15-10, 07:51 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a topic im strongly considering as well. For the basic stuff it seems like a no brainer...its like 1/3 the cost. Big stuff im prolly going there also but thats a year or two away for me

My toyota dealer service writer says they work on lexus cars all the time there.
Old 07-15-10, 08:01 PM
jfmjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota service

Thanks for the prompt response
Old 07-15-10, 08:17 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My local Toyota dealer encourages Lexus business and although I have not personally used their services for anything other than Toyota products I would not hesitate to take my ES there due to the high similarity to the Camry. I would think an SC could be a bit different animal, but as mentioned in an earlier post, the engine in an SC is physically similar to engines used in the Tundra (aluminum 4.3L 3UZ-FE SC430 engine versus cast iron block 4.7L 2UZ-FE in the truck). Regarding cost, the Toyota dealer should be cheaper on the basis of labor; however you might be interested to know that some parts shared between Tundra, 4Runner and SC430 of about the same years actually cost more if purchased from the Toyota dealer. It just points up the need to shop around.
Old 07-16-10, 04:24 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

cjs18 - that was my experience. Having read so many links about Toyota dealers being so much cheaper, I took my SC in for a quote to change the timing belt. The Toyota quote was the same as the Lexus quote, but Lexus gives me a loaner car. I let Lexus do the work and they enter it in "mylexus" database as a record of service when I sell the car. All good.
Old 07-16-10, 05:49 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfmjr;
Any thoughts on local Toyota Dealer replacing timing belt, water pump, related parts? The cost seems substantially less than Lexus dealer.
If you are local you might want to check out JAPTECH in Hollywood or Miami. They do pretty complicated work, Turbos, engine conversions etc. They usually run half dealership prices on labor. So far I have found them to be very honest.

I have had some problems with local Toyota and Lexus when it comes to honesty. Maroone wanted to change all my hoses and gaskets, a month after I changed them in another shop, Pines Lexus tried to charge me $350 for changing a battery, claiming they had to do a diagnostic of the charging system. Pines also told me I need new rotors on a brake job, Japtech fixed it and showed me the rotors were far from done.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 07-16-10 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-16-10, 07:22 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately I must echo that comment regarding integrity. A Lexus dealership told me that my cabin air filter was dirty and required replacement. They retrenched when I offered to show them a two-week-old receipt for a Fram filter I had just installed and asked how they could possibly be so mistaken (as if they'd actually looked at the part). My parts and services for that day were gratis but it has since caused me to question any information they offer as to the condition of my car. That has lead to some serious education on my part and subsequent periodic self-assessment of critical items like wheel nut torque, remaining tire tread, driveshaft flange bolt torque, brake pad thickness and fluid levels. As another seemingly insignificant example of the kind of thing I am describing, the previous owner of my 430 paid for 6 quarts of semi-synthetic oil at every dealer oil change. The car uses 5.5 with filter change. Trust but verify.
Old 07-16-10, 07:24 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

as previously posted, I had a persistent tire inflation warning light.
I went to toyota and they said all 4 sensors were good, the batteries were also good.
they sent me to a phoenix lexus dealership and they found that one of the sensors had indeed gone bad.
after my return, I called toyota to inform them of their bad call and they said that there are differences between toyota and lexus diagnostic software.
so be careful with troubleshooting a lexus at a toyota dealership. that said, toyota seems to do a fine, routine maintenance job on my 04.