meet the designer of the SC430

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 09:20 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default meet the designer of the SC430

Sotiris Kovos
Sotiris Kovos was born in 1965 in Athens, he studied in Athens and Great Britain. He started his career in Peugeot and Mazda.
In 1999, in Toyota, he designed Yaris, that was his great success.
After this success, he became really famous and he presented many models , for example Lexus SC300 AND SC430. In 2002 he moved to Germany because he accepted Audi’s proposition.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2010...car-designers/

Press release 2000

Lexus, with more than ten years as a luxury segment innovator, introduced a stunning concept for a new type of high-performance grand touring car - a car attuned to the senses as well as the intellect. Unveiled at the 1999 Tokyo International Motor Show, the Lexus Sport Coupe concept explores new directions for the brand's future of design, performance, luxury and technology.

At the touch of a button, a retractable aluminum hardtop transforms the Lexus Sport Coupe concept from a 2+2 coupe into a convertible in about 20 seconds. An advanced climate control system optimizes occupant comfort all year long, top up or down. The Lexus tradition of blending true luxury with high performance driving pleasure comes through with a powerful V8 engine, five-speed automatic transmission, four-wheel double-wishbone suspension and 18-inch wheels.

"Quality with Purity and Elegance"

Lexus designers from Europe and Japan worked together to create the Sport Coupe concept. The car's sleek lines came from the company's European Office of Creation (EPOC). Sotiris Kovos, the chief exterior designer, sought design inspiration in a location renowned for high-end luxury - the French Riviera. Kovos spent several weeks there observing the people and events to gain insight into truly luxurious lifestyles.

"I noticed how many aspects of the lifestyles I encountered - the products and services used - are marked by a high degree of simplicity and sophistication," Kovos says. Among the sights along the Riviera that inspired Kovos were the many high-performance luxury boats plying the coastal waters. "I think the lines that define the character of the Lexus Sport Coupe are reminiscent of a luxury yacht. It has a natural, sculpted beauty and richness about it," Kovos says. "This is certainly an emotional design," he continues. "Quality with purity and elegance is what this car is all about, and we have incorporated all of these elements into the styling."

A long wheelbase and short overhangs give the Lexus Sport Coupe concept a muscular stance, highlighted by the 18-inch wheels. The forward-positioned roof combines with prominent front hood styling and pronounced wheel arches to convey a powerful sense of forward motion. Uncluttered sides render a classically elegant look. The lights, too, contribute to the luxurious yet sporty attitude.

A Roof for All Seasons

The Lexus Sport Coupe concept shares an essential trait with the luxury yachts that helped inspire it - all-season pleasure. Passengers on a luxury yacht can enjoy sunbathing in fair weather, while finding security and comfort inside during foul weather. The retractable aluminum hardtop provides similar versatility in the Lexus Sport Coupe concept. Pressing one button lowers or raises the roof in around 20 seconds. The roof folds in multiple steps simultaneously for quick, smooth operation. The 2+2 layout offers room in the back seats for small children or extra cargo.

Breaking the Mold by Avoiding Molds

In Japan, the chief designer for the interior, Satoru Kuno, accepted the challenge to match the purpose and elegance of the exterior lines with an equally exciting interior. Kuno and his team refrained from using high-tech plastic-forming techniques that would have allowed them to literally mold their visions into reality. Instead, the design team chose to emphasize the natural beauty of leather and wood.

"By working in harmony with all the natural constraints on how these materials can be manipulated, we strove to create a new value from them while preserving their natural pleasure and comfort-inducing qualities," Kuno explains. He describes the results as "a clean-cut feeling of luxury."

While old-world craftsmanship defines the interior surfaces, the Lexus Sport Coupe concept integrates the modern luxury amenities that have made the brand a benchmark in the luxury category. The driver faces three independent, easy-to-read analog gauges, and the instrument panel angle helps to provide a spacious-feeling interior. A seven-inch wide screen in the center console displays functions for the navigation system.

The leather seats feature firm support for high-performance driving, while providing long-distance touring comfort. A memory function preserves seat positions for the driver and passenger.

Climate Control that Could Be Called "Season Control"

In the Lexus Sport Coupe concept, "all-season" versatility means more than the security and comfort that the retractable aluminum hardtop provides. An advanced climate control system allows this concept automobile to experience more top-down driving time than conventional convertibles. The system adjusts airflow and temperature automatically, differentiating between top up and top down driving needs.

On hot days, the climate control system takes into account the exterior temperature to ensure occupants stay cool when driving at slower speeds, without overriding the cooling effect of the wind during top-down freeway cruising. When driving in cooler weather with the top down, the system targets the foot area, where it forms pockets of heat, and the lap area, which immediately warms the upper legs.

An integrated "wind wrap" keeps the top-down interior draft free without the need for add-on wind blockers or deflectors.

High-Performance Platform

Lexus created a purpose-built high-performance platform for the Sport Coupe concept. By designing the car as a convertible from the start, engineers optimized its structure to provide excellent rigidity whether the retractable hardtop is raised or lowered. The structural solidity also allowed Lexus to tune the suspension to deliver sportscar-sharp reflexes and smooth ride compliance at the same time. In addition, the vehicle integrity also contributes to a high level of passive safety.

The power and handling response of the Lexus Sport Coupe concept yield a driving experience one might associate with a smaller two-seat roadster. An aluminum, double overhead-cam V8 engine equipped with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i) sends its muscle through a five-speed automatic transmission. Front and rear double wishbone independent suspension attached to the chassis minimizes vibrations and contributes to the smooth ride. The suspension, coupled with 18-inch wheels with low-profile tires, leaves no doubt that the Sport Coupe concept puts an emphasis on "sport."

A Personal Listening Room on Wheels

At its inception, Lexus introduced new standards for factory-installed audio systems. To raise the ante for automotive audio again, Lexus worked with home audio experts Mark Levinson to develop a new type of sound system for the Sport Coupe concept. Nine strategically located speakers turn the interior into a personal listening room that makes every seat in the car "the best seat in the house." The steering wheel features controls for essential functions of the system, and an electronic door - similar to a home audio cabinet - hides the sound system controls.

From Question Mark to Benchmark in Ten Years

When Lexus emerged on the U.S. luxury car scene ten years ago, the big question was whether the new division of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. could compete against established German and American luxury brands. A decade later, Lexus has evolved into a benchmark for quality, performance and value among its peers. Customers agree, making Lexus one of the top-selling luxury nameplates in the United States.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 07-16-10 at 09:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Silver23 (12-11-21)
Old 07-22-10, 03:22 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An A/C system is designed to lower the temp (and humidity) by x degrees from ambient. Meaning that if the A/C is designed to lower the temp a maximum of 30 deg from ambient the best you could expect in ideal conditions would be to lower the temp coming from the vents by 30 deg from the 95 deg in houston (ie 65 deg from the vents). This will not be enough to overcome the humidity however unless the top is up and given time to drive temp and humidity down.

No you won't hurt the system.
Old 07-23-10, 04:47 PM
LexFather

When the final concept/production car debuted at Tokyo, over 3,000 deposits were made. I never was in love with the styling but I think it has aged very gracefully.
Old 08-01-10, 07:04 AM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HotSpots around legs in cool weather

The quote below (from Kaiser's post) seems to be the answer to the occasionally uncomfortable 'hot air blowing on my legs' syndrome (search other posts for a handful of us who have complained and wondered about this).

In cool weather, attempting to open the vent just to let nice fresh cool air in, with the top down or up, seems to blow hot air instead... End up having to run ac sometimes, which of course is goofy...

[from the advertising blurb]
"When driving in cooler weather with the top down, the system targets the foot area, where it forms pockets of heat, and the lap area, which immediately warms the upper legs."
Old 08-01-10, 07:32 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember the first time I saw a 430.
I didn't care who made, all I thought
was that is the nicest looking roadster built today.
(and that still applies to 'today.').
years later I acted on that fascination and
it's in my garage.
as a past owner of a vintage '72 SL450, I appreciate
cars, not so much for their up-to-date tech, but for what they do
to the soul. that's the timelessness of the 430. it's got soul.
The following users liked this post:
corri (12-12-21)
Old 08-01-10, 12:23 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the post KaiserSea!

In Dallas I drive with the top down and A/C on full blast too. The under-steering wheel vent is a nice touch for your midsection/upper legs/thighs.

One time in my 2002 under the passengers side glove box the condenser was dripping a little on my nice ecru floor mats and left a stain. I later switched to black mats and changed my cabin filter out and never had the problem again. If it did drip, I didn't notice. I had several other convertibles that dripped occassionally from there so I didn't bring it in and simply chalked it up to the extreme differences in the hot/humid texas air out of the car and the ice cold a/c inside.
Old 08-07-10, 02:06 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmer!
I remember the first time I saw a 430.
I didn't care who made, all I thought
was that is the nicest looking roadster built today.
(and that still applies to 'today.').
years later I acted on that fascination and
it's in my garage.
as a past owner of a vintage '72 SL450, I appreciate
cars, not so much for their up-to-date tech, but for what they do
to the soul. that's the timelessness of the 430. it's got soul.
very well said, that's exactly how I felt about the car , when I first laid eyes on it
Old 12-04-10, 04:46 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You Kaiser...Excellent post. And as Mike and others stated this car has aged gracefully. It could be in part to its curvy edges as opposed to hard creases which in my opinion tend to date cars many other cars (Cadillac). In any event I'm happy to have been fortunate to have owned this car for several years and look forward to many more. People to this day still ask me "what year is this car?" and are amazed that it is nearly a decade old.
Old 12-10-10, 03:44 PM
gary101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I live in Toronto and I drive a Lexus.
My Lexus is a RX Hybrid and the a/c in my car is not working that great.
Can anyone please give me advise on that.
Old 12-11-21, 01:08 PM
buddhi
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I first saw an SC430 in 2003 in a Lexus dealership I worked at and liked it a lot except possibly the rounded down front. The other sales guys (low-brows) made fun of me. I took one out and got it up to about 80 on a twisty 40 mph road. I left foot brake, which was positioned just over the brake pedal, and thinking I was going too fast, let off the gas. That quickly slowed the car causing my left foot to jab the brake pedal, activating the Emergency Brake Assist which automatically applies emergency braking depending on the force and speed with which the driver steps on the brake pedal, which skidded the car sideways. The Vehicle Skid Control system saved me after which I slowly drove back to the dealership.

Now, years later, I own one. Only an unsophisticated philistine cannot see the superior design of the SC430. Great art rejects the casual look and such Art may not be appreciated at first, as with the acquired taste of coffee. Those without refinement cannot appreciate art, which is why they make fun of it. When you live with Art daily, it comes alive as your appreciation evolves and deepens over time - it evolves you. You see more year by year - you can't get it all at once. Crass automotive journalists such as Clarkson don't have what it takes to appreciate the SC430. The mark of superior art, music, or architecture is that the average person hates it.

Lighter colors of the SC430 make it not as easy to appreciate, as do the stock sized wheels. The older model GS is the same with it's undersized wheels. These cars absolutely need pushed-out 19-inch wheels. Not 18 and not 20. As an aside, engineers say 19-inchers have the optimal driving characteristics.

The older model SC headlights and taillights are By Far the best and please do not degrade your car's interior or exterior with LEDs (except for backup lights). They don't work with the warm wood interior and do not fit the old-school style of the SC. The newer projector headlights turn the SC into an LS while the white horizontal of the newer tail lights is out of place with the curvaceous rear. If you have a newer model SC, upgrade your lights with the old style - the SC is not an angular Lamborghini, which is nice in its own way, but beneath an SC. When I sit beside a Lambo or Ferrari at a stoplight, no one looks at those cars - the SC is more exotic. Some of you may be thinking that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - no it's not - it is objective and eternal but depends on artistic sensibility and refinement. I will go further with my politically incorrect comments; many SC owners cannot leave well enough alone and stop with the excess customizing - it's embarrassing. They think more is more and that Toyota with all its money should have hired them rather than a legion of world-class designers. This car is a Classic, and more so because most people haven't the capacity to get it. Eventually, it will be front and center at the Smithsonian.

The black older model SC is the best.

Aside from luxury yacht influences there's more in the design, which takes time to realize. People of quality are impressed by the SC as it passes them on the road, but they don't know why because the design is subtle, with subconscious influences; that's why they can't stop looking. I had an old Indian lady in a sari give me the thumbs up, and once a very cute young girl on her bike stopped cold to stare at me (or the SC) with her mouth open (I still kick myself for not giving her a ride). While at a stop light with top-down and a male passenger, had a guy walk past and loudly whistle. He then quickly said, "Was whistling at the car, not you two!" People have jumped out of their cars at stoplights to ask what it is. They don't recognize it - especially when de-badged to clean up the rear (keep the Lexus logo). The SC is rare; 72,000 were produced and how many are still on the road, half? I've seen three in nine months - I guess they prefer California and Florida.

From the front, you see classic Jag or Porsche headlight nacelles - with lots of chrome inside! - different and effective but no one else thought of it. Under a blue sky, those chrome headlights turn blue. The four uniquely shaped and colored light housings are jewels set in sterling silver. They are Arachnid eyes! The spider look can be taken further with spider wheels. At night you see a crazy cross-eyed look, like a Japanese painting of a leering dragon or tiger. The lower front orange parking lights are cat whiskers. In side view the rear is elevated, like a cat, or maybe a rat preparing to pounce. The front vertical white side lights are unique - swooping dragon's eyes. From the rear the simple taillights are also unique; demonically glowing ruby-red coals. That's why cars rush up behind you at night - they want a closer look. During the day those taillights are 3-dimensional fruit-filled bowls of Jell-O, and notice how they outline the Lexus logo.

From either front or rear this car is a Bat - The Batmobile. Side mirrors are pointy bat ears. That ugly front grill is the ugly snout of a bat - or a rat - and the thick horizontal chrome grill strips are the curled lips of a snarling rodent. No other car has that! Does the spoiler and rear wind-blocker allude to Dracula's collar? Absolutely. Note how the four headrests appear to be a family of extraterrestrials out for a ride. There's the obvious Asian Dragon influence from every direction - a bit of Japanese humor. Raised side windows with top down are dragon scales. Yellowed driving lights, from iridescent clear film, are a rat's yellowed fangs.

The high-shouldered side profile looks chopped like a 50's hotrod, deep dish steel stock car wheels would look good on this car. The rockers are Vette side pipes so this ain't no Lamborghini - they're also katanas, quite obviously. Might be nice with Damascus steel chasing.

One can also see 2002 AMG SL65 styling (too bad the quarter windows are not independently operated). When you step on it the stock muffler sounds like a flying saucer taking off (with resonators deleted, a necessary mod) and not some dime-a-dozen Mustang. With Injen intake, also necessary, you get the roar of an apex predator. The best muffler for this car is the MagnaFlow 11386 2-in 2-out with dual 2.5 pipes coming off the cats. 2.5, not the stock 2.25 (because the more expensive and more anemic-sounding MagnaFlow 16917 Cat-Back system that uses 2.5-inch pipes has an estimated 7% horsepower increase, the MagnaFlow 11386 with 2.5-inch pipes likely will also add 7 hp). All these reasons are why people are not checking out the lame Lamborghini parked beside you.

See the Art Nouveau influence from the French Riviera? That kink in the headlights and the organic thigh bone curve of the A-pillar and the flare of the rear fenders are what you'd find at the entrance to the Parisian Metro. If you look closely you might see some French Citroen, including the wheels. Since you own one of these classics you have far greater artistic insight than a loud-mouth journalist who disparages your work of art. Exhibits attached:

Last edited by buddhi; 05-03-23 at 09:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by buddhi:
corri (12-12-21), DaveGS4 (12-12-21), lugnuts (12-13-21)
Old 12-12-21, 10:28 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

I agree that at least for me that the styling did grow on me. Read the blurb above about the handling and almost laughed out loud. Barge handling. Fortunately fixable. The dark colors do seem to show the to down lines better IMO. I crunched the right rear recently and while its in the body shop I spent another $2,300 to cherry out the body. Rock and parking lot dividers damage and dame from a previous owners brush with a garage door over the top.

I used to help buddies with their car show cars WAAAAY back when so a perfect car is a fetish. The sc was good enough condition to perfect it so why not?

I still have my old car club plaque which i may put it in the rear tray. My long dead club buddies would turn over in their graves if i do but what the heck.

Their gone. I”m still here.

Sure seems like the low mile nice versions have held or increased value as a current/future collectors car.

Really nice car versus my last hardtop convertible which was a heavily breathed on 1958 corvette. Scary fast. Zero creature comforts. Heater delete. Big block street race car

too crowded around me for much of a go faster car. So why not go back to my other 58 chevy. An impala with a car record player in it.

jump ahead 50 generation. What a difference. Amazing world