SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

stock sc430&5k what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 01:44 PM
T8LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question stock sc430&5k what would you do?

Okay guys i am a newbie here but after reading through alot of the threads i deff have a better idea of what i want to do to my sc430 once i get one( few weeks away) Okay so the reason for this post is once i get my sc430 i am trying to move pretty fast and moding this thing up. So here is my question to you experienced modded up SC430 owners here. Knowing everything you know now if you where starting all over from the begining and just got a bare bones stock 02/03 SC430 and had 5k to do whatever you wanted to it what would you do and why ? Keep in mind i have a friend that will give me pretty decent prices on body work/paint ect. and that i will most likely buy new wheels and tires cause i dont really have too much time that i want to shop around for a good used pair of wheels.
Old 07-20-10, 04:04 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you're set on buying new, you could easily spend $5k on wheels, tires and coilovers. that's where i would start.

after that, you could do some cheap mods like de-badging and redding out your taillights. they're cheap mods, but make a big difference.

to get into any body kits or performance mods like headers and exhaust, you'll need a bigger budget.
Old 07-20-10, 06:15 PM
HVisone
Rookie

As to handling, get rid of runflats and put daizen sway bars on it.....except you can not buy daizen sways bars anymore....then a frame brace or braces per Carson City toyota , along with some coilovers-shocks

Last edited by HVisone; 07-20-10 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 06:25 PM
T8LEX
Driver

You are right im not sure what i was thinking i am deff open to finding a sweet deal on some used wheels. You also got me thinking about starting my search for wheels now before i get the car. Got the loan approval today so im excited.
Old 08-17-10, 08:49 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

General maintenance

AUX/MP3 input

Subwoofer

Wheels

LED lighting

06 tail lights

HID fog

White DRLs
Old 08-17-10, 08:50 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wish you were more local,
I'd sell you mine.
Old 08-19-10, 08:27 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

For $5k I would do the following in EXACT order and these are relatively real prices based on my experiences/purchases:

Regular Maintenance-30k service recommended-flush/fill all fluids, replace all filters and do the timing belt/water pump regardless of mileage as insurance. You may need pads and turn rotors. Do a search, we have discussed this extensively. $600-$1k for 30k service with or without brakes and $1k for timing belt. Let's round up and assume brakes so we are at $2k now spent.

20" chrome staggered wheels and tires...wheels $1200, tires $800. $2k Total

2006+ rear tail lights (ECU optional for additional $600), $600

Vais SL2 or SL2I-UP iPod adapter-$400 installed

At this point your car runs as good as it can stock, you have insurance on your investment that it's been properly serviced and potentially won't have any major mechanical failures (although 30k service and timing belt doesn't guarantee that) and you've added much needed iPod and done the two most visible aesthetic enchancements wheels/tail lights that will make the car look really sharp and unique.

From a driving standpoint, it will drive so much smoother and stop so much better with a fresh set of new wheels/tires and a brake job. Additionally depending on mileage you may need plus $250 installed at dealer. A 2002 with higher mileage I would recommend.

You didn't tell us much about the car, and I'm a bit conservative when it comes to maintenance but if you've ever heard the horror story of a timing belt breaking or a tranny failing because of improper care then you would think twice about skimping out on that stuff, you know?

So, in summary I'd spend half the money on maint and half on aesthetics/enhancements.

Just my two cents!