SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Interior light problem "Help"

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 06:51 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior light problem "Help"

I don't know if anyone has had this problem or can help me but here goes. After my silver 02 sat for a while the battery went dead, yesterday I charged it up and now the interior lights stay on, checked the dash switch and it's off, checked the pass door switch and when I push the switch the pass door light ( light in the botttom of the door ) goes off and on with cycling the switch but the driver's door switch does nothing to shut off the driver's door light or interior lights. Took out the drivers door switch and checked it and there is nothing wrong with it, the lights stay on even with the switch disconnected. Also when I try to lock the car with the key remote all I get is a long beep and no door locking. Everything worked perfect when I parked it before the battery died. Right now I have disconnected the battery and charging it to see if maybe it is something to do with the conveinience module and it may reset. Anybody got any ideas?? This ones got me scratching my head and I don't have much left up there to scratch!
Old 07-21-10, 10:08 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

I apologize for stating the obvious, but did you check the "map light" switches and the door /off switch on the overhead lamp assembly. If the map light switches a depressed the overhead light stays on. I ask because I didn't see it in your initial post.

The fail safe operation in case of ECU issues with the illumination system is default to "off" to prevent overheating of the lamp. This is perplexing because you are describing the opposite.

If after charging the battery it does not resolve, then I'd disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, draining all residual energy resetting all ECU to default. Then I'd reconnect and begin a normal startup, shutdown and lock.
Old 07-21-10, 10:42 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mdpuff
Also when I try to lock the car with the key remote all I get is a long beep and no door locking.
I think that is the primary clue. That behavior is consistent with the SC thinking that the door is open, as is the dome light being on.

Originally Posted by mdpuff
the driver's door switch does nothing to shut off the driver's door light or interior lights. Took out the drivers door switch and checked it and there is nothing wrong with it, the lights stay on even with the switch disconnected.
Well, if the switch is normally open (which would be logical) then the lights would stay on with the switch disconnected.

Did you actually confirmed the operation of the switch after removal with a continuity tester?
Old 07-21-10, 04:17 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Yes I checked all the obvious, turned off the overhead light, pulled out the driver's door switch and it is a single wire, to ground type of switch so with the switch removed there is no way to ground the system to activate the light yet the light will not go out where as the pass side works as it should. I left the battery disconnected over nite and I am about to go out and reconnect to see if the issue is resolved. Also the car does have a Lux-Link system in it if that might make a difference. Wish me luck and I will let you know what I find. I have not taken anything apart or had any work done on the car to cause this problem, that's what has me scratching my head, everything worked perfectly before the battery died.
Old 07-21-10, 07:28 PM
mdpuff
Driver

Good news! I found the problem. After letting the car sit over night with the battery disconnected I went out and hooked it up and the problem still persisted. Took a look in my repair manual and found that the car has a driver's door control computer located inside the door. I removed the door panel and located the computer and when I disconnected it the lights went out. There were some wires spliced into some of the wires going into the connector ( I assume they are Lux-Link wires ) traced the wire from the door switch a red with white tracer and there was a wire spliced into it, just cut that wire and problem solved!! I was already having problems getting the Lux-Link to operate the top in the past and that hasn't changed, the remote start and double touch of the dash switch still works perfect so I guess I will just have to live with the most important function of the Lux-Link for dropping the top not working all the time. oh well, that's life!
Old 07-21-10, 07:29 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

On a first time install of the lux link on my 2005 I had similar problem. The remote door locks would not work because the light was staying on in the car. It was not a problem before the luxlink install. iT TURNED OUT THAT THE LUX LINK WAS AT FAULT.Steve swapped it out for me and new unit worked fine. If you cant figure it out you could try unpluging the lux link main harness . iT SHOULD BE UNDER THE DRIVERS SIDE TRIM PANEL JUST BENEATH THE STEERING WHEEL. If you unpolug it and then the lights are normal that would mean the lux link could be at fault. Tell me is the lux link working corectly?

BUDDY
Old 07-21-10, 10:17 PM
mdpuff
Driver

The Lux-Link has been giving me problems, the remote top function was intermittent, remote start and double touch of the dash switch for the top works as it should, I just cut the wire from the Lux-Link to the drivers door switch and everything works as it did before, no more interior light staying on so I assume there is a problem with the Lux-Link. Living in Canada makes it kind of difficult to get it fixed here as nobody has even heard of Lux-Link around here. I'll just live with it the way it is.
Old 07-22-10, 12:18 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Having cut the wire and evrything works as it should tells me that one of the relays in the luxlink is where your issue is, Since the units are no longer being made I would advise you to E mail Steve at Luxury motor works in monrovia Ca [ HE WAS THE FORCE BEHIND THE MFG OF THR LUXLINK ] He might be able to repair it for you as opposed to replace it. You are correct in that no Lexus dealer will touch it. If steve agrees to try and repair it for you. Its really a simple uninstall of the unit to ship it to him. T luxlink has its own harness that can be unplugged with out having to cut any wires..I would not want to give up my luxlink so easy, If you call steve first and tell him which wire you cut he might be able to know where the problem is which relay and he could tell you if he could repair it

BUDDY
Old 07-22-10, 02:09 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

The LuxLink makes perfect sense. The last operation the LuxLink does in the close operation is an fake "driver door open, driver door close" to turn off the headlights.