SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Detailing a new SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-02, 06:23 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailing a new SC

Well, my car is supposed to be rolling off the boat in Jersey today and should be delivered by early next week. I feel like a kid the week before Xmas--- the wait has been killing me.

I spent some time over at the Autopia site and picked up a lot of really useful info. I decided to go the One Grand Omega/Blitz/Show Off route (rather than Zaino) due to positive web feedback/reviews on how well the OG products work on black cars (I believe GeneArch is a big OG fan).

In any event, I'm new to the whole obsessive-compulsive car care thing and have some questions which I am too intimidated to post over at Autopia.

Do I need to clay the new car?
Do I need to Dawn wash prior to claying?
Do I need to wash with Dawn again after claying but before the OG Omega Glaze?
If I don't need to clay, should I still Dawn wash before the Omega Glaze?
I am having the dealer install Xpel protection-- any issues that creates in the waxing/polishing process?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-02, 06:48 PM
Coldintake
Rookie

Default Re: Detailing a new SC

Originally posted by Robbo
Well, my car is supposed to be rolling off the boat in Jersey today and should be delivered by early next week. I feel like a kid the week before Xmas--- the wait has been killing me.

I spent some time over at the Autopia site and picked up a lot of really useful info. I decided to go the One Grand Omega/Blitz/Show Off route (rather than Zaino) due to positive web feedback/reviews on how well the OG products work on black cars (I believe GeneArch is a big OG fan).

In any event, I'm new to the whole obsessive-compulsive car care thing and have some questions which I am too intimidated to post over at Autopia.

Do I need to clay the new car?
Do I need to Dawn wash prior to claying?
Do I need to wash with Dawn again after claying but before the OG Omega Glaze?
If I don't need to clay, should I still Dawn wash before the Omega Glaze?
I am having the dealer install Xpel protection-- any issues that creates in the waxing/polishing process?

Thanks.
Well, I just joined the board today, and I have a BMW... but i'll answer your questions.

No, you do not have to clay a new car.
Dawn is to take off the wax, most car washing liquids would do a similar job i.e. Meguiers Deep crystal
I am not familar with Xpel...
Congrats on your new car.
Old 08-08-02, 12:15 PM
bsklar
Driver School Candidate

Default Black SC430

Did you ever get answers to your questions. I would like to know so that after I get XPEL applied, I can move to Zaino or other process.
Old 08-08-02, 01:38 PM
bsklar
Driver School Candidate

Default XPEL

There seems to be a lower piece and an upper on the XPEL web site. Dealer is saying that they only recommend the upper piece that covers the hood as what they called the bumper is not metal and should not "need" the XPEL product. They quoted $510 for hood, mirror and some piece that is around the door handle. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-02, 04:09 PM
pot_head
Driver

Originally posted by genearch
Actually, I was real skiddish about the hood piece so I just did the bumper, headlights and fog lights. The problem with the hood piece is that it goes to about the top of the headlights across and I'm pretty picky about seeing any kind of line there..
I know what you mean genearch. I didnt want a line on my hood either. My bumper is fine after the street cleaners blasted sand and rocks all over my car. It was just the front part of my hood that has all these little specs now. Im going to have it painted. But even after i get it painted i still dont know if im going to put
Xpel on the hood cuz of the line...
Old 08-08-02, 06:25 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Well I ended up claying the car anyway. The mothers QD that comes with the clay smells nice and cinnamanny.

The Xpel looks fine-- with a black car you can't even see it if you are standing a few feet away. Its all but invisible in this picture (taken right after the Blitz wax job).

The one issue with Xpel is that the wax seems to stick to the edges so you need to use a Q-tip or fingernail to get the excess off.
Attached Thumbnails Detailing a new SC-schood.jpg