SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

adjusting coilover length

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 08:46 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adjusting coilover length

So I've had my coilovers for over 2 weeks but my rims are taking a little longer to get through customs, so I'm now thinking of getting the coilovers installed without the new rims, and when the rims arrive, then I'll adjust the height accordingly.

My question is: Is adjust the height something I can do myself with just using the regular jack the car comes with (does it even come with a jack?) or one of those simple after market jacks? Or do you need need to get the car up on lifts to adjust?

If I can't do it with a regular simple jacks, then I'll hold off and get it all done professionally when the wheels come in.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-31-10, 10:42 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I prefer changing them at the same time, but you can do the coilovers first and then wait for them to settle before you put wheels and get a new alignment.
Old 07-31-10, 11:49 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by talwang
I prefer changing them at the same time, but you can do the coilovers first and then wait for them to settle before you put wheels and get a new alignment.
You have a good point that they'll need to be adjusted again after the springs settle. Thanks for the reminder!

So the coilover installation will be done by a pro. Would I be able to adjust the height myself later, with just a simple jack that raises one corner at a time? Meaning, will the jack lift the car high enough to expose the part of the coilover that allows for adjustment?
Old 08-01-10, 12:11 AM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be fine doing it yourself.. I adjusted mine over and over again. I dont recommend using a factory jack. That would be murder... you might want to buy a hydraulic jack from Auto Zone or someplace. They are not expensive at all.
Old 08-01-10, 02:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You can do it any way you like but if your car is your daily driving, I would hold off on the coilover install until you've installed the wheels. If not, you're going to be chewing away your current tires.
Old 08-01-10, 09:46 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gottagitmines
You should be fine doing it yourself.. I adjusted mine over and over again. I dont recommend using a factory jack. That would be murder... you might want to buy a hydraulic jack from Auto Zone or someplace. They are not expensive at all.
I was thinking of getting a low profile jack. Since it will be lowered and eventually I will have a ground effects kit on it.

Is this one too cheap?
Car Jack
Old 08-01-10, 09:48 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a low profile jack from craftsman at sears... They like 50-60 dollars.
Old 08-01-10, 09:50 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
You can do it any way you like but if your car is your daily driving, I would hold off on the coilover install until you've installed the wheels. If not, you're going to be chewing away your current tires.
I'm not sure why you are telling me I should hold off.

If it is a daily driver (it's not) and I install them on my current wheels, you say I will wear them out fast. So if I install them when I get my new wheels, won't the new wheels wear out fast too? I don't understand.
Old 08-01-10, 09:53 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not have any issues with lowering your car with just the factory wheels. The clearance you set the car with the regular wheels will be similar with the aftermarket wheels unless the overall diameter is different and you went with crazy offsets. Tire wear will vary depending on how low the car will be; which would affect suspension geometry.
Old 08-01-10, 10:42 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

I'd have the coilovers adjusted accordingly for each set of wheels (old and new) used.

Going from 18s to 20s, my wheels overal diameter will slightly DECREASE. I think about a 1/4" (can't quite remember how much)

Oh, and I mostly purchased the coilovers for better handling. I would have done it even if I didn't change the 18s out. and i wouldn't have lowered it.
Old 08-03-10, 09:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
I'm not sure why you are telling me I should hold off.

If it is a daily driver (it's not) and I install them on my current wheels, you say I will wear them out fast. So if I install them when I get my new wheels, won't the new wheels wear out fast too? I don't understand.

Because if you install your coilovers right now without an alignment, your tires will be eating itself away faster than you think. If you're fine with getting two alignments (one now, and one later), then go for it. Just know that if you do set your ride height now and add wheels later on, you're most likely going to make height adjustments and that affects alignment. If you don't care about your current tires wearing out, then you can install the coils if you want. Since it's not your daily driver, you might get away with it. For those who daily drive, it adds up quickly.
Old 08-03-10, 10:10 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every year when I switch from my summer wheel/tire setup to my winter wheel/tire setup, I adjust my coilovers (and get an alignment). It's really not a big deal at all; I can adjust the coilovers myself, but since the car goes into the shop for the alignment, I have my guy do it for me. It takes about 5 minutes total once the car's up in the air. (I use Tein CS)
Old 08-03-10, 12:43 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Because if you install your coilovers right now without an alignment, your tires will be eating itself away faster than you think. If you're fine with getting two alignments (one now, and one later), then go for it. Just know that if you do set your ride height now and add wheels later on, you're most likely going to make height adjustments and that affects alignment. If you don't care about your current tires wearing out, then you can install the coils if you want. Since it's not your daily driver, you might get away with it. For those who daily drive, it adds up quickly.
OK, now I understand. It's the alignment that will need to be paid for to have done twice. Gotchya.
Old 08-03-10, 12:44 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by horent135
you can get a low profile jack from craftsman at sears... They like 50-60 dollars.
I missed reading this reply. Just wanted to say Thanks!