SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Service at a Toyota Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 08:16 AM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service at a Toyota Dealership

After reading the horror stories of a broken timing belt, I am considering having mine replaced. I can take it to a Lexus dealer for $579 or take it to Toyota for $445.

What would you do?
Old 08-02-10, 08:30 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i would call lexus and ask if they would match toyota's price (can't hurt to ask). then take it to toyota after they say no. it's pretty straightforward from what i've heard.
Old 08-02-10, 09:40 AM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

How long will each dealer have your car? Will the Toyota dealer give you a loaner and a warranty?
Old 08-02-10, 09:54 AM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

^^^
both dealers said it would take about 3 hours for the work. What do you mean by warranty? Have there been cases where the dealers won't stand by their work?
Old 08-02-10, 02:51 PM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Question

I took it ti the Lexus dealership to have them take a look at the drive belts which are visable thorugh the engine bay. They were cracked so the suggested, and I agreed, to replace the timing belt and the drive belts. Total is $705.

Does that seem right to you seasoned SC owners?
Old 08-02-10, 04:18 PM
VVTiBob

Honestly I am surprised by the three hour replacement for the timing belt. Thought it would be a day job. The accessory belt is about $40 and DIY job...there are lots of threads about it.
Old 08-02-10, 07:39 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I second that comment regarding a three hour timing belt job. I think that one technician working with reasonable care would take a minimum of 5-6 hours. I also concur that it's a candidate for DIY for someone who can follow instructions and is competent with tools. The $40 cost is especially enjoyable after the fact.
Old 08-02-10, 08:10 PM
VVTiBob

Well a timing belt is about $50~55. At 579 and a claimed 3 hour job, means they're charging about $175 an hour. One word....YIKES!
Old 08-03-10, 08:33 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe three hours each way? One way trip only was quoted in hours? LOL Only way to explain that crazy quote.

Should be all day affair...loaner car for sure.

I would do it at lexus dealer, but ask them if they will match the toyota dealer. Or see if they'll do the serpentine belt for free labor and you'll pay for the parts. Either way they should work with you on it.

If you can get them within $50 or so, definitely get the Lexus...for the car wash, loaner car and entire experience. After all-you bought a Lexus right? You want to be different and have status. It's a different experience at the Lexus Dealer-that's why our cars are consistently ranked the highest in owner satisfaction year after year by JD Powers.
Old 08-04-10, 09:03 AM
steele
Driver School Candidate

Just had my original timing belt replaced at the local Toyota dealership. They quoted 470-520 for the belt job, and I told them to inspect everything while they were in there. They called a few hours after I dropped the car off and said the water pump was seeping very slightly. I went ahead and had them replace it. Total came out to 770 including tax, coolant, etc. Seemed reasonable to me for a dealership, genuine Toyota parts, and not wasting a weekend doing it myself.

My car is a 2002 with almost 98k on it. Incidentally, the belt looked fine - especially compared to ones I've replaced on other cars - but at least I have peace of mind.
Old 08-04-10, 10:14 AM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Well I had it done at Lexus and had the timing belt, drive belt, and water pump replaced ( it had a small leak) for a total of $1050. It did take 6 hours and I got a nice RX as a loner. Everything else checked out fine, which makes me happy.
Old 08-04-10, 10:52 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Just dropped off my 02 at Lexus for the timing belt replacement. Toyota gave me a price of $600 and Lexus matched it. Plus they gave me a RX2010 as a loaner. I was told it would be an all day job and I could pick it up tomorrow morning. Not bad for $6 bills, but I don't see why Lexus couldn't come up with a easier way to change the belt or harder material so it never has to be replaced.

lar
Old 08-05-10, 08:50 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

nice! good news for both of you guys. Wisluggo-where was the difference in $300 from original quote to the final bill? Your leak? Where was it?
Old 08-06-10, 01:11 AM
del3180
Rookie

Originally Posted by scdroptop
nice! good news for both of you guys. Wisluggo-where was the difference in $300 from original quote to the final bill? Your leak? Where was it?
Looks like he had them replace the waterpump. Good price overall for the amount of work from a dealer.
Old 08-06-10, 02:17 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Maybe three hours each way? One way trip only was quoted in hours? LOL Only way to explain that crazy quote.

Should be all day affair...loaner car for sure.

I would do it at lexus dealer, but ask them if they will match the toyota dealer. Or see if they'll do the serpentine belt for free labor and you'll pay for the parts. Either way they should work with you on it.

If you can get them within $50 or so, definitely get the Lexus...for the car wash, loaner car and entire experience. After all-you bought a Lexus right? You want to be different and have status. It's a different experience at the Lexus Dealer-that's why our cars are consistently ranked the highest in owner satisfaction year after year by JD Powers.
Even within $100, I'd opt for the Lexus dealer, the loaner is always nice ! For oil changes and routine stuff I go Toyota, but how many techs see a SC 430 at a Toyota dealership ? Good answer

Quick Reply: Service at a Toyota Dealership