SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 08:54 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?

Gang-need your help deciding which kit to put on my 05 PB, but first some questions:

1) Do you still lower with a kit and 20" rims? I'm assuming lower later if so, right?

2) Other than potential scraping or bad body work, are there any DISADVANTAGES to body kits...like resale???

3) I want a conservative kit...so the Wald Executive look just about as extreme as I wanna go. Is there REALLY a big difference between the $2-$3k kits versus the eBay $800 kits? I know you get what you pay for, but the feedaback is great on these and they look good. Has anyone bought these on CL? I really like this $839 Duraflex Kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...Q5fAccessories

Okay so the high end stuff I like are the following:

Wald Executive Line $2295 L-Tuned (Carson) Pros-conservative, looks like a seamless fit and not too extreme. My only con is I don't like how the rear lip wraps around the tail pipes too much. IMO

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=705

Vetex-I like this one a little better in the rear but is it me or is this kit deep? Looks like it is much taller than others and perhaps the car is really lowered?

Vertex Usa http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2873

Behrman is my third one from L-Tuned. The pics aren't real good but this kit is growing on me.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2719

Any thoughts suggestions on the fit, install and problems of any of these kits and experiences would be greatly appreciated!!!

I want to do something tasteful, but nothing extreme. I was thinking about doing the tannabe .9" drop with coils only. Total project I want to spend about $2k for the kit and then ??? for the paint, install, etc. Another consideration is that my PB has Black Diamond Pearl Paint which is rare and I'm wondering if it's hard to match? Any guesstimates on cost to paint/install?

I've been drewling all over the body kit threads on CL. Getting a little bored with Ebony and need to do some things...Intake, body kit, throttle controller and a 1" lower should satisfy my itch.
Old 08-03-10, 09:30 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Resale considerations

My personal preference is no kit. However of those choices, I like the last one best (Behrman) probably because it is least dramatic and nearly looks stock to the Sc.

Without taking a poll my suspicion is, a kit would really impact resale negatively. If I were in the market, I would never by an SC with a kit for the following reasons (rightly or wrongly)
1. I would be afraid that the kit would be representative of a younger driver who could have raced it or drive like they were racing and abused it in other similar ways.
2. The PB model WILL be a collectors model, as is already one of sorts. I would definitly want to keep it stock-Think the 60's classics stock versus modified-wow want a difference in value. I would even hang on to the original wheels (put in storage).
3. I personally put 20's on my 02 (9's in front and 11's in back) And DID not lower. I like the looks, but It might look a little better SLIGHTLY lower. I think the SC really looks cheap when slammed-Turns it into a civic.
4. The pic shows my 20's. The top of the tire is even with the wheel well opening-but, I never scape or bottom out. I am satisfied, but agree it would look better slightly lower. But then would I regret lowering if it started scraping? I'll take it the way it is. With 20x11's on the back, I suspect it would start scraping.
5. I want one more SC-The 07 Pebble Beach in 2-3 years. If I can find a low milage in the shape my 02 was when I bought it 2 years ago-23K miles and like new-still looks that way. It is unlikely that I would by one that has a kit and any suspension or engine mods. I also suspect that club members are more likely to make modifications. In SoCal (where I live) there are a ton of SC's and you rarely see them modified. I think that says a lot about it-it looks great the way it is. I would not have changed my wheels if it hadn't come with pie plates. Even my wheels were purchased from another club member (Call out to Dan K if you are still out there).

Sorry for being so lengthy--John
Attached Thumbnails Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?-dsc03495.jpg  
Old 08-04-10, 06:35 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Most of the kits I have seen I honestly can barely tell the difference. I think to spend thousands on a kit for such a slight difference is a waste of money. This kit on eBay for 3 grand as does the artisian is better than stock but mostly because of the fenders and exhaust. Wheels make a big difference, put money into sound, and video, but on a dark SC you get very little bang for your buck on a body kit.

I don't see these cars becoming collectable, and think PB and NM versions will not boost value. Neither name has any car cred, there are no performance upgrades, and color is a preference is not an upgrade. It is already a rare car, if you own a late model, very rare. There are no good performance upgrades, if you are bored with it, better to trade in. I really like the shape of the car, and IMO I made mine more masculine by putting on wheels that look like 20" spinning blades. Anything more diminishing returns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...#ht_1433wt_722

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 08-04-10 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 07:53 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have an limited edition, exclusive car. Modding it destroys that extra value, even if it the value is only desirability.
I would do it to the normal series, but a Pebble or Neiman needs to stay stock, or do something easily reversed to return it to stock, like wheels.
Old 08-04-10, 12:03 PM
da-bizket
Pole Position

Default You can always take the kit off for resale....

You can always take the kit off when you go to sell the car. Club Lexus has a great classifieds forum to sell the kit when your done with it.

A majority of people think the car looks better with a kit. They may not be able to identify why? That's because they can't tell theres a kit on it in the first place....
Old 08-04-10, 04:26 PM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

how about this kit?
pretty extreme, but what a beauty :>)
Attached Thumbnails Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?-images-1.jpeg  
Old 08-05-10, 08:48 AM
scdroptop

Thanks all for the input. Those are some of my exact concerns. I'm a little bored because I get bored with all cars--I've owned 30 cars and I'm 35 years old! My nature is to buy a car at a great price, do some light mods to it, clean it up, enjoy it and try to sell for a profit or break even and start over again. Problem is (as some of you may remember) it's hard to beat the SC and I've rarely found a car that offers as much satisfaction, beauty and comfort/power as a SC. Overall--it's very hard to beat the SC!

Kaiser-have to disagree with you on the collector point-v-8 300hp hardtop Lexus convertible in limited production with different varients of special editions from the # 1 JD Power ranked auto manufacturer for over 15 years NOT A COLLECTOR? Unlike a CLK convertible, 6-series convertible and other cars they have almost identical competitors (soft top v6/v8 rear wheel drive 2+2 or roadsters to compare to). The SC is the only v-8 hard top 2+2 convertible of it's time. You said it yourself that you love the lines of the SC and many do too, so one of the requirements of a collector's car is obviously appeal. Historical relevance...era of the car...importance to the brand/time....production numbers....age...etc are all considerations for collectibility and other than age (since SC's are still being sold in 2010) we have all those on our side!

Add the fact that they killed the car this summer now makes it extinct. How do you explain the rx-7, z-car, supra? They too were truly unique in their own way. The 3000GT was truly unique but terrible dependability ratings, terrible sales and a weakened brand identity caused that car to not be a collector as much. The first gen SC may have been a gem, and having owned two of them I loved the cars, but nothing was truly unique and special about them-at the time they were soooo sharp looking but at the end of their life cycle they will just go down as a rwd coupe.
Old 08-05-10, 09:03 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

I hear you about the boredom. It sets in with me typically a year or so after buying the car. It's an itch that must be scratched.
I also recall how extensive your search was to find a PB or NM because of it's exclusive nature, how proud of it you are/were when you found it and bought it.
I'm afraid you've reached that point that you're going crazy to do something with the car, and struggling with what that should be. You know what I did, and the search for a new toy is huge fun, and scratches the itch.
Good luck!
Old 08-05-10, 12:12 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop

Kaiser-have to disagree with you on the collector point.
I hope you are right. I have read more negative reviews of our beloved SC more so than any car owned. When people post comments many are just harsh and hate the car. When the three hosts of top gear picked it as the worst car of the year I stopped watching the show. It has not changed my affection for the car, but still... My dream cars have been the XKE, Cobra, and Classic T Bird. Now that I can afford them, I would not own one, they all drive like crap. Still well regarded classics. My SC is a pleasure to drive, but I don't think I have ever seen a review, movie, or a celeb picture giving it that special cult status. I think of cars like Elenor, Bullet, James Bond Aston or the Bandit. As for special editions we don't have cobras, or SS, we have Neiman Marcus and Pebble Beach colors. Not to insult but I find that a bit embarrassing. Do you have an F type, no I have a NM type, you know the guys known for nice ties and fine lace panties. Part of what makes a car classic is perception and face it, our SC has been marketed poorly. I just thank God they shelved the Hello Kitty special edition.
Old 08-05-10, 04:32 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the collector car thing does not really hold water. I mean is this SC300 a collector car? At the time it was the best and got great reviews.
Old 08-05-10, 08:42 PM
scdroptop

Okay...you picked a SC300 first of all in one of the most unpopular and least selling colors.

Secondly having owned both a 1995 SC300 and a 1996 SC400 I feel as if I can speak on this a little bit.

Going back to what I said earlier-what made the first gen SC unique? It was a rear wheel drive luxury coupe. See BMW 6 series, M30 Coupe, Acura Legend, Jaguar XK, Mercedes CE Coupe (later the CLK), etc etc. All rear wheel drive (except for the Legend) coupes. I loved the first gen SC, don't get me wrong, but it was just another coupe. I didn't really love it any more than my Accord EX Coupe, Mazda MX-6 LS Coupe or my Acura Legend LS Coupe Six Speed or even my G35 Coupe. Nothing was super unique about it. It was a nice luxury coupe and had nice status, sexy lines and was somewhat quick (400) but not "fast".

Perhaps...maybe....just maybe...a super clean 5-speed SC300 (from 92-97) would be a collector because it was so rare. Or of course the first and last years of the car. Or maybe the SC400 later years with bbs wheels/spoiler and loaded out.

I'm not saying the SC430 will be a collector's car just because it got good ratings, that helps, i'm saying in a car class that doesn't get much respect it was the best. It was the best of it's time. For the value too? Essentially you could buy two brand new SC430's for the price of one SL600 or SL55/65 AMG. The hardtop, the value, the flexibility, the lines, what it meant to the brand and the unique features, build quality and the fact that it really was responsible (along with the SL/SLK) for starting a hard top convertible revolution. In fact: in 2001-2002 sales for SC430 out sold both the SL and SLK MBZ cars combined!!! I'd say it made it's mark for sure! Now in fair balance...we dropped off terribly after 2005 and MBZ still had some good years on all those cars, plus the CLK convertible too.
Old 08-05-10, 09:15 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Just pick the kit you like the best.

But of course, I understand you need to be aware of any concerns. My concern with the WALD is that I've heard it sits VERY low, so it'll scrape often.
Old 08-05-10, 09:22 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

The SC430 become a "classic" - I'm sorry but this is totally ridiculous! I'm usually pretty low key with my opinions of negativity, but really, come on:

1. How many car enthusiasts HATE our car?
2. How limited is the SC430 with aftermarket parts?
3. "In fact: in 2001-2002 sales for SC430 out sold both the SL and SLK MBZ cars combined!!!" OK, I'm not sure if these other cars were already out for some time, but the SC430 was brand spanking new! Were these cars already out? I'm sure combining the sales of these cars PLUS the SC430 totalled less than the Honda Civic! Oh wait, is the Civic a classic?
Old 08-05-10, 09:32 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I think of cars like Elenor, Bullet, James Bond Aston or the Bandit.
I had the bandit (78) from 87 to 94 during my college years. I considered selling my SC430 last year for a near mint 78. I probably will get one some day (and keep the SC too)

...Marcus and Pebble Beach colors. Not to insult but I find that a bit embarrassing. Do you have an F type, no I have a NM type, you know the guys known for nice ties and fine lace panties.
LOL!!

I I just thank God they shelved the Hello Kitty special edition.
LOL! Another good one!
Old 08-05-10, 09:38 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Am I really the only one that thinks this front bumper looks freakin AWESOME!!

The rest looks ok, a bit too much for even me. I also noticed the seller posted a pic of just the bumper unfinished, but it's not the same as the one on the car itself.
Attached Thumbnails Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?-sc.jpg   Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?-sc3.jpg   Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?-sc2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Which Body Kit to Put on My 05 PB Ebony?