SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why to keep an SC430

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 07:04 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why to keep an SC430

Last week I bought a new car and had the opportunity to trade LB in for less than 20K. I decided though I did not pay much more than that the car is not worth parting with at that price. I live in Florida which has a lot of top down weather and it still looks good, feels great, is unbreakable, and has the interior of a Bently. Only downside is sub par performance.

Today driving home an angry little woman in a new convertible M3 gave me the angry honk and flip off for pulling out on a side street that she wanted to speed on. Not knowing she was going to floor it as I pulled out onto the road made my heart jump as the angry growl of the twin turbo pulled around and then sharply in front of me. The car sounded mean.

Seems we must live in the same neighborhood because I stayed behind her for the next 30 miles. It was obvious she thought she was being followed by her failed attempts to speed off, partly her bad luck in traffic, and partly my matching her speed enough to fuel her paranoia but not enough to scare her into a ditch. What surprised me was how easily LB matched the M3 which I could of followed much more closely if I had the desire.

Stock a convertible M3 and Sl are less than a second of an SC and with my hacked computer and cold air intake I think I am pretty even with the twin turbo benchmark. We have always fared well when compared to the ISC or G37C I have never owned an extra car, but at these prices I think the SC qualifies. As a toy, well worth keeping. Performance not really subpar.
Old 08-04-10, 07:39 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car is a definite keepr - for life!

I purchased my used 02 2 years ago when I hit 39. I only put about 3K miles on it a year, and have a Rav4 as a daily driver. The SC430 should be kept for the reasons you already mentioned: convertible (hard top), bullet proof reliablity and decent acceleration and handling (at least i hope so when I install my Zeal coilovers).

Plus, I think it looks timeless. I've posted pics before of 2 classic cars that it reminds me of (1st gen Porsche and some american car from the 40's or 50s?).

Plus, the car is relatively inexpesnive to purchase (as well as to maintain). I think we car fanatics will keep them in good shapre for decades to come - but others, who won't, will be the ones sellig them off. And what fanatic wants to buy an SC430 in poor condition (the majority of the ones for sale in 10 years from now will be in poor condition, so if you change your mind and want to repurchase...)

You have an awesome car for performance now! So keep the other for some nice weather top down crusing weather!
Old 08-04-10, 08:36 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Default Good choice you made!

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great decision. The only way I will not have my 02 is if I trade her for another SC. This is a lifetime car for me. I cannot even imagine.... Only if your in a financial situation-Fortunately, I'm not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It is an extra car for me too. The wife has an 08 Infiniti and the third car is an 05 Odyssey. I drive the odyssey only when it rains in SoCal (A rarity) and get plenty of comments that my SC always looks like it was just detailed. The Odyssey-not so much.
Old 08-05-10, 08:19 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Kaiser-if it was a M3 then it was not a turbo. They put that twin turbo in the 335IC and other 3 series but not the m3. Was it an older bodystyle? Current M3 is 4.0L v-8 producing 414hp and 295lb of torque.

Older M3 bodystyle (is my guess you were racing) is a 3.2L I6 engine producing 333hp 262lbs of torque if it was a M3 for sure. Could it have been a 335 with the sport package? Even the older M3 would probably beat our SC especially with the SMG tranny.

The current 335 twin turbo has 300hp/300lbs of torque and weights just under 4k lbs and this could be the car you are talking about too. My neighbor has a white 335I twin turbo and it kinda looks like a M3 a little, but doesn't have the fender flares in the rear and the staggered setup-or if it does it's a milder staggered.

If you were beating a current bodystyle M3 or even an older one than you got some skills with those size 13 shoes on the pedals! Teach me!!!

That SMG tranny in the M3's is amazing! Like a video game arcade you played when you were a child! You can go through the gears like a six speed manual but without the clutch...and paddles? Yeah!!! If they only made the previous bodystyle M3 convertible in a hardtop (they offered a hard top add on) and had a little better interior one could make a case for it beating our SC's. The interiors are still lackluster inside BMW's IMO. The wood looks cheap, the buttons and dash look like a 80's car still IMO. I know BMW's are beloved for their handling, performance, etc. but the dependability and interior quality to me isn't even close to the Japanese cars. MT, C&D and others commented on this many times in their 3series/G comparos year after year. No doubt the Bimmers have great handling/peformance and I even love the looks of the M3/335 current body, however I can't stand the interior industrial look.

I've tried to beat the SC overall and it's hard. The SC offers outstanding dependability, build quality and amazing ergonomics, fit and finish. We know the performance isn't great but it at least has a v-8 and 300hp and a great engine. The hard top and back seat gives you a 3-for-1 value. You get three cars in one! A nice coupe for rainy/cold days that's comfortable and secure and won't leak like a soft top. A roadster with a purpose that allows you to put cargo or people (person) in the back or kids if you have a family and can do all this with the top up or down!!!

911 Carrera/M3 beats the SC in performance and handling, but lacks in ergonomics/comfort and dependability. XKR has the nice interior, comfort but lacks the performance of the Porsche/M3 and has even worse dependability. CLK's lack performance, hard top and quality. Had they made those aforementioned four cars in a hard top perhaps the case would be stronger? Two seaters are half the car of the SC (no back seat for kids) so if you have a family forget it--otherwise a boxster would be great or a SL or Maserati. And soft tops are half the car too because you don't have the quietness and security of a hard top. We've discussed going up into the Aston league or even a Bentley Continental GT, Maserati and the dependability, maint costs and service are all issues not to mention the hefty price being justified? I've said it many times, but I still think IMO that the G37 convertible is the closest current competitor to the SC. I drove a 2010 the other day and they now have 330hp and fog lights in the lower portion of the bumper as well as some upgrade interior finishes with more aluminum/wood to give it more of a luxury feeling...all that for under $50k to me is a great value...paddle shifters, cooled seats, nav, 19" staggered wheels, TECH GALORE-ipod, nav traffic, lane departure warning, push button start, usb/aux cables etc etc. Specifically the special edition G37 convertibles (09 was called the Bloomingdales Edition and now just called special edition) are even more appealing like a PB edition-rare red seats and more wood and differentiation than the base $39k model. Still---this is more like a 3 series convertible/IS350C competitor than a SC based on size, status, etc. The SC was/is truly unique and will be tough to duplicate it. Let's see what Lexus does in 2012. If they do nothing and SC's become extinct then our cars will do nothing but appreciate in value!

Last edited by scdroptop; 08-05-10 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-05-10, 12:39 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

I did not get a look at the inside, but I was staring at that quad exhaust and M// label for a half hour. It looked new to me but I don't really know. Online I read that all the cars in convertible form run to 60 in the 5s from the m3 SL SC G37 ISC and I Found when she punched it she could not pull on me. These cars have such close performance numbers that if you are a second quicker to the peddle, it does not matter what you are driving. My only point was, aside from our cars losing enough value, that they were worth keeping is the performance is within class. More so if you have the drive it like You stole it.