SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Whats it take to fall out of love?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 09:25 AM
grottoman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha! Kaiser, that's some funny dang stuff, and I agree.

It was great to read carbuff's epic commentary, as well, kudos to you carbuff.

I'm a few days away from 40, and bottom line, the SC is a fantastic car, and everybody from little kids at the rodeo (yeah, I took the car to a rodeo up by my lake place; only SC that's been seen in those parts) to 'distinguished elders' enjoys this car.

I figure I'll be picking up a 2010 and holding onto it as long as possible, unless something happens and we actually see a newer model that carries itself as well as this SC.
Old 08-11-10, 12:43 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

That must've been so cool living way back since the 30s and not only seeing all those cars as they came out, but also so much of American and world history and evolution in technology!

I know we all have to "go" someday, but i would like to see a glimpse of what the world would be like a few decades after it's past my time...

Originally Posted by carbuff
At seventy-nine I am a lot older then the majority of participants in this forum.

Owning and driving cars has been a great part of my life. I began a love affair with cars in the late 1930's and since then have owned forty different cars.

At first, I learned about cars watching the older boys work on their hot rods after school. Later in 1953 during the Korean War, I bought my first car, a very used 1941 Plymouth. Its greatest distinction besides a hole in its master cylinder was its many shades of faded blue color.

From that time to 2008, I changed cars every 18 months to 2 years. I have owned just about every make and model of American cars and I have also owned quite a few European and Japanese cars.

In 2008, I bought my first SC430. It will be the final car I purchase. I say this not only because of my age but because it is the best "fit" in an automobile I have ever had. I liken my SC to a jewel among want-a-bees.

My SC thrills me with its elegant style, richness and features. Its power plant provides me with the horsepower to move quickly up a freeway on-ramp and move to high speed into a cruising lane. If I want to pass a car, flooring the accelerator immediately takes me to whatever speed I wish to attain.

Without question the SC does not have the sensual excitement of a couple of my former German cars. By this I mean when I take a curve in my SC, it is at moderate speeds. The feeling is nothing like I experienced flying into and out of esses in my Audi's or BMW's.

You might say I feel this way because of my age. I prefer to think of it as that I am enjoying the ride and scenery more now in my SC then I did in former cars.
Old 08-11-10, 12:51 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

My hats off to you carbuff . What a well written account from a real Gentlemen
Old 08-11-10, 01:21 PM
igorxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 02 since new and I haven't found anything that compares in looks or ride. I drove every luxury car in all surrounding towns. As soon as I drove the SC one block I knew that was the one I wanted.
Old 08-17-10, 09:46 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....I'm 48 yrs young and have had mine for 2.5 yrs...and still love it to death !!! I remember seeing one for the 1st time back in 02' and saying to myself " I got to have that car"...lol. When it stops making me excited or when I stop doing a double take at another one coming down the street...then it might be time !!! I've still haven't done any mods,other than the stereo...so when I do,I'm pretty sure I'll stick my chest out even more !!! ed
Old 08-18-10, 05:54 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

I bought my dads sc430 this past fathers day. Very used with 150K miles on it. He bought the car new in '03 after 11 years of driving an sc400 which he also loved.

I remember bringing the 400 to his attention in 92 as a possible replacement for his 88 caddy. He test drove the 400 and was sold. When the sc430 came out i brought that to his attention as well. He bought it the next year.

Back in the late 50's when he and my mom first hooked up he had a convertible. It was the first car they rode in together. When my mom passed in 05, the sc430 was their daily driver. All their cars in-between weren't convertibles. Just those two. He pondered this and got teary eyed as he reminisced about it to me when i took possession.

l felt the audi a4 i had rode better and handled better...so i got rid of the pies and switched to non rft. Now it feels, rides and looks like a new car. I plan on keeping it a long while. Only other rag i had was a salvaged chrysler sebring. So this is something of a step up from that

Several years ago it dawned on me that i don't need the fastest car. I much prefer being comfortable and surrounded by luxury as i sit in and drive the car all the time. But I only drive like a maniac every once in a while.
Old 08-18-10, 06:44 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will turn 63 in another two weeks, my SC is the best car I ever purchased, have owned 37 in my life, only Lexus allowed in my driveway, only the SC430 in my soul !! Does everything a car can do for it's owner! Oh, it's still a chick magnet !!
Old 08-23-10, 07:44 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

^^+1 on the chicks magnet. I had two mid-50's ladies came and complemented on my ride as I approached my car at Randall's. They were driving the RX330. They told me that the next car they want is the SC430.
BTW, I'm in my 30's.