SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10 | 04:00 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Default Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430

One of the main reasons I don't mind the average performance of a my SC is it feels pretty fast and I don't race. Simply, in my profession I won't be given a ticket but I feel like an idiot being pulled over. With my CTS-V I get someone revving next to me at every light and I never bite, why bother. Today with the kid in the car, two girls in an XLR wanted to play and I gave in twice at two lights. Both runs we pulled a car length ahead, never passing 65mph. A few months ago I had a similar experience with a crossfire which was even slower.

I never cross shopped these cars mostly because they only seat two, and I need to be able to carry the kids in a pinch. I looked it up and both of these cars come in a fast version which were obviously not what I came across. In base versions they don't seem to perform too well, anyone ever compare them further? Just curious since I don't recall a post about these other now defunct luxury convertibles. How about a prowler?
Old 08-16-10 | 07:44 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Cool

What is the Crossfire upgrade in HP called?
Old 08-16-10 | 09:43 PM
scdroptop

Kaiser-The Crysler Crossfire is a beautiful car and makes you wonder why Chrysler didn't do more things like this. Unfortunately it's also a heartbreaker! The roadster came very limited in the coveted SRT package, or more commonly in the ugly (IMO) hatchback. The SRT-6 is a BEAST!!!

Yes, I have looked at one extensively and basically thought it was almost identical to a SLK32 AMG with a Kompressor supercharger. It has 350hp!!! 310lbs of torque. 4.8 second 0-60. 3.2L. The heartbreaker/BUMMER was that it didn't come in a six speed, only the base model. On that light body of 3100lbs it FLEW! I looked it up on the internet after I drove it and no wonder why-IT'S 80% MBZ!! Specifically the SLK. Even the controls were strikingly similar as well as the guages. The 19" wheels and the staggered setup also set these apart...very nice! The dual exhaust in the middle was very cool too. The SRT6 convertible I could only find in black, light blue or gray. I wanted the black limited edition with red interior or the yellow with black. I could never find. These are rare...

I later read that the brakes, transmission, frame and engine were taken directly from the SLK 32 amg from the plant in Germany that makes the Mclaren and has some direct shifting software 5-speed autostick (which sucked in the 215hp roadster!!!) that's in the McClaren. 14" brakes...brembo I believe and stock. Someone said the SRT6 had a chip that upgraded to 450hp for about $250!!! Wow!!!! Imagine this in a 3100lb drop top??

They had a limited edition roadter six speed black with red leather that I loved, but when I drove the six speed with the 215hp engine it was not only slow, but the throws were very tall like the SLK engine. I guess I've been spoiled with g35, supra, rx-7, s2000 and other sporty manual shifters! Plus the manu-matic was a left to right not up and down and reminded me of our Chrysler Pacifica Mini-Vanish shifting!

The wheels, the rear end, the ergonomics and uniqueness really appealed to me. At the time (after I sold my 02 SC) I decided not to go with one because I read that they had a ton of problems and it looked like Chrysler was in trouble, hence the car only dramatically decrease in value. Plus no six speed in the SRT-6 and the base was slow. The automatic in the SRT6 was really unpredictable and was very weird going on/off exit ramps. I did not like the fact that the SRT-6 only came with this ugly suede interior, not the luxurious two tone leather shared by the crossfire limited and SLK. Only a five speed auto too. Another thing that really bothered me to is that the headlights really fogged up...I mean really bad! JD Power rated it a 2.5/5.

In the end, I was pissed off that the SRT6 roadster didn't come in the six speed, and the six speed with the small engine with the tall throws was like driving a SLK230. If you could only buy two cars and put the beast engine in the convertible with the six speed gearbox!

Check out this stat: 35,000 units sold in 2003. 2007 sold 2,000 units. In 2005 dealers actually listed the car on overstock.com just to dump them! Unreal!!!! You can actually find some new, left over 2008's at dealers! In Dallas, there was one 2008 new crossfire left at a dealership that was closing and it hadn't sold. It was $46k marked down to $32 I believe! Wow

When I was getting ready to buy one, I had my finger on a rare black 2005 SRT-6 roadster. It had 14k miles and stickered over $50k new. It was selling for $18k!!! I hated the suede interior versus the cool SLK two tone seats on the non-srt6 cars and the aforementioned automatic. It was out of warranty and I was concerned about the upkeep on it and needed a backseat so I passed. Very cool car IMO!!!

Coolest feature: The wing that popped up! I believe it pops up at 60mph

I attached some pics
Attached Thumbnails Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-tc16283a1_12.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-g-n2egcwe-kgrhqmokjke-n1p4lc5bmzyyrdbu-_4.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-tc16283a1_04.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-068225_03.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-9999_18.jpg  

Old 08-17-10 | 04:37 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Very cool car
Once again, thanks for the wikipedia quality post. Could not find anyone who shopped these, and thought it might have some potential as prices are dipping into the 12s around me. I talked to a seller and his big complaint was service. He said oil changes had to be done at the dealer for $250, and other quirky requirements. shame with AMG DNA.
Old 08-17-10 | 08:34 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

for my 2 cents, the production crossfire was a casualty due it's distant relationship to the concept design (which was a hit).
when it finally came out, I was underwhelmed. too many short cuts, reworks and production compromises for my taste.
most recent concept to production flop? volt.

in the past, manufacturers used concepts to thrill and promote their future-seeking selves.
nowadays, concepts are used as feelers, testing the viability for future production.

today, if a concept design is a hit, it's sales suicide to do lots of 'reality fixes.'
Old 08-17-10 | 11:21 AM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Question answered......SRT is the upgrade in HP series.

THX
Old 08-17-10 | 05:39 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I also checked out the Crossfire at the same time as when I was looking to purchase my SC430 in 2006. I agree with all that SCDROPTOP discusses. The plain ole automatic Crossfire, is a real dog, boooring to drive. I didn't even consider the hatchback, only the convertible. (It was amazing the differences in the looks, I didn't like the hatchback look but did the convertible.)

The manual 6 speed was very quick and fun to drive, probably close to a par with the SC430 (without the SC430 transmission delay). However, the SRT was indeed a beast. It only came in an automatic, however you didn't notice the automatic transmission power loss, it was very quick and responsive. In the end, I still chose the SC430.
Old 08-18-10 | 08:36 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Great write up on the Crossfire droptop.
I too have lusted over the SRT, as you can pick up an 04 with low miles under $20k, and you pretty much are getting a Benz, as you said. And a Benz that hauls ***.
I found they are uncomfortable for tall drivers (I'm 6'4"), and the ride is harsher than a Carrera, although it is almost as fast as a Carrera S.
I found a 1 owner 04 with 18k miles, that I could pick up for $17k. The guy would end up losing over $2/mile in depreciation! Seems like I remember reading that car being #2 in depreciation. I believe it.
Old 08-19-10 | 08:08 PM
scdroptop

There's a great UK club (ironically no great US based Crossfire club!!!) for Crossfire owners and their cars of similar ages to ours are dropping tranny's, engines, check engine lights all the time, massive top issues, drivetrain issues, etc etc. Stereos and ML speakers are the least of their worries!

Now I remember reading some posts from this site a few years ago.

Honestly this is what scares me about buying a SL55, although I love them. The SLK32 AMG (the cousin to the SRT6 Crossfire Convertible) would be interesting to pick up for $17k right now with 50k miles on it. Small car though.

You have to admit the SLK32 AMG is a pretty cool car too??? Not as unique looking as the crossfire, but you get the silverstar status and perhaps more dependable? At least you can still go to a MBZ dealer to have it worked on!

Oh....349hp and 332lbs of torque on that small little Benz would be sweet! Anyone drive one of these? I haven't. Only drove 230's, 320's and 350's in auto and stick. Very slow...the 350 was a little better with the new manumatic. Sticks are rare in the cars too...and they have very long throws.
Attached Thumbnails Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-slk32amg2.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-slk32amg3.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-04ale484263589h.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-08.jpg   Cadillac XLR vs Chrysler Crossfire vs SC430-foto6v.jpg  

Old 08-20-10 | 08:07 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

When I was lusting after the SRT-6, I didn't find a pattern of common failure items on the car. Concerning the AMG motor in it, quite the contrary - guys were doing CAI's, exhaust, pulley, and a tune, and getting almost an extra 100 HP out of it, with no grenades. The auto tranny they put in it is stout, but there's no LSD, so you only get 1 tire mark with a burnout
Maybe it's like this forum. If you're a noob and you start reading the posts here, you think all these cars are falling apart, since all you read about is the occaisional problem.
If I could fit in a SRT-6, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I saw an 05 vert the other day with 18k miles for under $20k. I think it is an undiscovered collectible, as there were only 920 or so made, yet there's tons of stuff you can do to them to make it a closet screamer. Imagine how the M3 guy feels when he gets his doors blown off by a "Chrysler".....